Thread: '98 Polaris SKS 700 Question

Default '98 Polaris SKS 700 Question

I've got a couple of questions for the forum concerning said machine. Someone gave me this machine and it seems to be in great shape, except for the fact that the oil injector quit on him and he locked up the engine. The engine is toast and he actually sold/traded a few parts off the old engine. My question revolves around is it worth fixing this thing or should I junk it and find a machine that already runs. I've no experience with snow machines, but I have a background in engines and mechanic work. When he offered the machine it sounded like a project I could tackle and finish and thought this forum would be a good place to start. What do you guys think? Thanks for your advice.

Remove the engine and strip it down, find out why the oil injection pump quit, if it did, they are virtually bomb-proof, but anything can happen. At the most, you'll find the pistons seized to the cylinders which can be fixed with a piston kit and some hydrochloric acid to clean the aluminum off the nica-sil.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Remove the engine and strip it down, find out why the oil injection pump quit, if it did, they are virtually bomb-proof, but anything can happen. At the most, you'll find the pistons seized to the cylinders which can be fixed with a piston kit and some hydrochloric acid to clean the aluminum off the nica-sil.
    I'll check that out Nitroman, thanks.

I'm not 100% but I believe the water pump belt also drives the oil injection pump. I would replace that belt no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I'm not 100% but I believe the water pump belt also drives the oil injection pump. I would replace that belt no matter what.
    That is correct. It is a fairly common common failure. I have never seen the pump itslef go bad but loosing a belt does happen. Loose the belt and yes, you loose both the water pump and the oil pump. They don't last long like that!

while ur at it bore it out and have one hell of a power house..

One of the best engines Polaris ever put out. Cast lined cylinders instead of nikasil means that most seizures don't require a new cylinder. It might actually be fairly cheap to rebuild. What engine parts are missing? That info right there might decide everything. My 13y.o. son is becoming quite good at getting "seized" machines cheap and getting them to run for a few hundred bucks. Those 90's Polaris's are great for that.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Thanks guys

I got the machine home last week and looked under the hood. He had mentioned he had allowed a couple of guys to scrounge a few parts, but when I looked under the hood, the only motor parts still there are the crank case, air box and exhaust system. I have looked the machine over and it appears to be in excellent shape, except for the motor. In fact it only registers 187 miles on the odometer. I have located a rebuilt engine that is complete with carburetors and all ignition components. I spoke with the mechanic and it is a full rebuild 97 RMK 700. I think I am going to buy it. I can drop this motor in and have a practically new snow go for cheap. I appreciate your help and I'll try to post a couple of pics when I get her up and running.

Good deal. That is the best approach since it was scavenged so bad. They are pretty simple machines. Based on your knowledge of motors on the 383 thread, I would say this job is a piece of cake for you. Just make sure to get your clutch alignment correct and check your plug reading. Hard to say how the carbs you are getting are jetted compared to where they need to be at for your location. (elevation and temps). All the electrical should be plug and go as long as they didn't start cutting on your sled. No reason for that since most everything just plugs in on them. Good luck with your project.