Thread: 35 Whelen, 225 TSX or 250 Partition-"Moose"

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default 35 Whelen, 225 TSX or 250 Partition-"Moose"

Hi All,

I am going to Newfoundland in just a couple of weeks for Moose.

I have two loads that are shooting very well in my whelen, one is with the 225 TSX and, the other is with the 250 Partition.

In trying to choose which bullet I will be shooting, I guess I am looking for consistancy in bullet performance between these two choices.

I know....they are both capable, and I could probably just flip a coin..!

In this caliber specifically, I have gotten excellent performance with the TSX on deer.., so far each one has expanded. I have not used the 250 partition on anything, but I would suspect it to be a winner.
    I realize that the Partition will shed some weight.., but feel more than confident that the remaining percentage will still carry on with some authority.

Shots will be anywhere from "really close," out to 300 yards.

In this "Specific" caliber (.358"), which one of these two would be the best choice..?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    Hi All,

I am going to Newfoundland in just a couple of weeks for Moose.

I have two loads that are shooting very well in my whelen, one is with the 225 TSX and, the other is with the 250 Partition.

In trying to choose which bullet I will be shooting, I guess I am looking for consistancy in bullet performance between these two choices.

I know....they are both capable, and I could probably just flip a coin..!

In this caliber specifically, I have gotten excellent performance with the TSX on deer.., so far each one has expanded. I have not used the 250 partition on anything, but I would suspect it to be a winner.
    I realize that the Partition will shed some weight.., but feel more than confident that the remaining percentage will still carry on with some authority.

Shots will be anywhere from "really close," out to 300 yards.

In this "Specific" caliber (.358"), which one of these two would be the best choice..?

Thank you.

Flip a coin to decide. Either will kill a moose as dead as a door nail. Moose are not all that hard to kill. I would pick which ever your rifle shoots better.

I agree with seant. There's really nothing to choose from between those two bullets. That caliber and bullet weight is LOTS for moose. Where you place them will be everything. If your rifle likes them both, you're good to go with that coin. Better yet, have your wife/kids/friend pick for you! Good Hunting.

Default 225 TSK Awesome Killer

I agree with the rest of the crowd on this. But I would pick whichever one grouped best in this case. If your shots stayed in the 100 yard range, then you could use a worn out barrel in any caliber and if the rounds were inside of a beer keg, you would do fine..
    But since the range COULD get out to 300, accuracy is paramount for you. either way, hope you have a great trip!

I guess I can't spell, the subject line is supposed to be "TSX"...Jeez

I can't say awesome killer yet as I haven't shot anything with it, but the 225 TSX shoots lights out in my .350 Remington Magnum. I would be confident hunting just about anything with it.

The TSX has delivered amazing accuracy in every rifle I have tried it in 6 rifles in 4 different calibers so far both hand loads and factory ammunition.

Thumbs up 225 gr Accubond

225 gr Accubond and Reloader 15 work excellent in the 35 Whel

I have had excellent results from the 225gr TSX with 60gr of RL15 out of the Whelen. It shoots really well and will shoot through about anything in NA. I put one corner to corner through an Black bear busting the front leg and smashing the hip in the rear. Recovered bullet under the hide lost one petals. Also shot right through an elk at 125 yards with it, and it destroyed the elk. I like them alot, although, for the money, I would probably try the Accubond again and do just about as well. Your choice between the NP and TSX is pretty easy, as others have said, flip a coin. You are probably getting a little more speed out of the TSX, but the 250gr NP is a little better shaped, so trajectory is probably just about the same. Good luck, either is going to hammer a Moose. Scotty

Bullwinkle will never know the difference.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default the whelen is perfect

I think the chemestry between a .358" bore, bullets over 225 grains and, about 2400-2600 feet per/sec. muzzle velocity is pretty much the perfect reciepe for any large (non-dangerous) game.

I have had excellent results with the 225 TSX. I have taken 9 whitetail deer with that bullet out of my whelen in the last 3 years. It is very consistant out of my gun, and at distances of slightly over 250 yards it still opens up and leaves a tremendous exit hole... Now mind you, it's not traveling real fast by the time it gets there, ah...heck, it's not traveling real fast when it leaves the muzzle.!

My one issue with this bullet in my gun is this, after about three shots the inside of my barrel looks like it was just gold plated.! And this makes for some long cleaning sessions. Fortunately, the bullet is expensive and so my practice is done with less expensive bullets (which would be real game getters in their own right.!)

I have the Nosler Partitions, I bought them expressly for Moose. My thinking was .., Well, that they would be perfect at any distance, soft enough to expand, and heavy enough to pennatrate. At 250 grains, I don't need blistering speed, but at 300 yards they catch the 225's.

It seems like the coin is favoring the Partitions..! But, I still like the way those TSX's maintain their weight..Anybody know how reliably they expand once they get under 2000 ft/sec.?

May I also ask (perhaps this isn't the place)...
    Will a box that is 36"x 48"x 32" be large enough for two boned out moose..?

Default Boned out Moose

358wsm, I do believe you'll be able to get two moose in that box. Once they're boned out, they become a lot more efficient to pack. My humble .02 is to use lots of meat bags to keep the cuts separate. I hate finding out I'm eating chuck when I was expecting top sirloin. My question is, how are you going to move a box that size full of meat? A large boned-out moose will weigh roughly 350 - 400 pounds. Unless you're talking about a freezer, that's a lot of weight to move around behind a quad or in a boat. Just curious.

Default aiming to answer your question

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    358wsm, I do believe you'll be able to get two moose in that box. Once they're boned out, they become a lot more efficient to pack. My humble .02 is to use lots of meat bags to keep the cuts separate. I hate finding out I'm eating chuck when I was expecting top sirloin. My question is, how are you going to move a box that size full of meat? A large boned-out moose will weigh roughly 350 - 400 pounds. Unless you're talking about a freezer, that's a lot of weight to move around behind a quad or in a boat. Just curious.
    Terry,

You asked, "how are you going to move a box that size full of meat?"

I will only be moving that box with my pic-up truck.
    First I will move the moose to the ground by way of my fine little Whelen.
    Then a track machine will bring it (the Moose, not my Whelen) out to the "Winch Truck" which will bring it to the "Meat Pole." At the end of that day, once all the hunters are back to camp, along with any other Moose that may have been taken, the Moose are then taken out of camp for processing.

I am having the Moose cut and vacuum sealed by a local butcher there in Newfoundland. When I pick up the meat from him it will be brought out to me in boxes of about 40 pounds each (each package labled). Those little boxes will be put into plastic bags, and placed in my "Big Box" in the back of my truck. The bags are to keep the cardboard (of the small boxes) dry from the effects of the melting ice which, once all the little boxes are in, I will put into the Big Box to cool the contents of the smaller boxes...Lol..! Then after a two day drive back home, I will remove the little boxes from the big box, and place the packages within those little boxes into into a couple large freezers.

I really like how they opperate, it's quick and very easy... and well worth the minor expense to have the meat so well cared for.

The last time we went there we took several coolers, and although it worked...space wasn't used effeciently in the back of the truck.
    If I have calculated correctly using information I have gathered from others who deal with meat packaging, I should be seeing somewhere between 25-30 lbs of meat per sq/ft. My boxes interior dimentions give me about 30 sq/ft. so I figure I can get about 825 lbs. of meat in that box. I am also bringing two 120 qt. Igloo coolers, I am packing my hunting gear in them. If I need more space than the Big Box will provide, than I will put my gear in plactic bags for the return trip and use the coolers as nessessary. Details.!

Thanks for asking.

Sounds like you're looking forward to the trip - that's awesome. And I agree that the meat packing process seems pretty topnotch. That's always nice to see. One advantage of your large box is that the more mass (of anything), the longer it holds its temperature. Should work well, as should your Whelen. Good hunting.

Thumbs up 35 Whel

The good cheap Speer 250 Spitzer Hot Cor works just fine on Moose with IMR 4320 or Reloader 15. No need for Prem bullet the Vel is not present to justify it. The Speer is very accurate in my Rem 7600 pump.......