Thread: Marlin XS7

Default Marlin XS7

Anybody out there with any experience concerning the Marlin XS7 bolt action rifles?

The neighbor kid wants to get one to take to Mo. deer hunting so his mother sent him over to get the old guys opinion. Problem is the old guy hasn't a clue!

This kid is 16 and is fatherless and there isn't much $ to work with. Will this gun work for him? How's it compare to the Stevens 200?

I'm thinking the Marlin and Stevens guns came out after Remington bought them so its hard to say where the parts come from to build these rifles. I have heard zero complains about the Stevens guns by those that own them. The new old Savage model might be something to look at also.All said you could probably take him shopping the used gun racks and find him a higher quaility nice used gun for the price of any new gun.What ever you do bring him into the fold even if its giveing him one of your beaters

I did some searching on the XS7 line from Marlin and couldn't find anything bad about 'em. Buddy tried to buy one in Anch but everywhere we called they didn't have any in stock, so he went with a Savage Model 11, but I wouldn't cout the XS out....

Called boonies and they quoted me to order one right at $300 for the .243....

I haven't owned one, but I've shot two while developing handloads for friends. Dandy rifles, both of them, especially considering the price. I've also owned and shot lots of the Savage models. Frankly the only real difference I find between them are in cosmetics and R&D. Cosmetically I think the Marlin just looks and feels a little nicer. But the Savage line continues to evolve with new models and improvements, while the XS7 is kind of a one shot deal in the bolt market for Marlin. I don't think you'll find anywhere near the "extras" like triggers and replacement stocks available for the Marlin, but then again, you probably won't need them.

All I have shot in both brands have been superbly accurate and flawless in function. It's been really easy to imrpove on factory ammo with handloads, and with a pretty fair range of loads to boot. That's usually a good sign of a quality rifle, no matter what the cosmetics. There are lots of prettier, more expensive rifles out there that can't make that brag.

I make an error when I mention Stevens being part of Remington. I ment Marlin H&R. I believe the Stevens is the old plain jane Savage of ole

Default Well, I have one in .308...

and for a sporting rifle, it is simply an incredible shooter!
    I took it out to the bench a few months back, with 168 Nosler Custom Competition bullets, Varget and Prvi Partisan new cases. Took three rounds to get it 'zeroed', then shot a five round group in my normal fashion, which is to take my time, quickly. I generally shoot, lean over to check the shot in the scope, and put another one downrange fairly fast. First shot went in at an inch and a half high at a hundred yards, then the second cut the first, and on and on in the same fashion till the magazine was empty. All five rounds touching from a spankin' new barrel.
    We just got three of 'em in in .243, and I've a hankerin' to try one of them, too, though I don't know what on earth I'd use a .243 for in the 'real' world.
    BTW, my .308 is blue/synthetic.
    I heartily recommend these rifles, especially at the price they're offered at, which in our shop is $299 and some for the Guv'nor. Can't buy and put a barrel on a 98 for that price!
    One thing to note on these rifles...the trigger guard is plastic, and not a very tough material at that. If the back action screw is scrunched down too tight, it'll split the guard, leaving the back of the action loose, and tightening it down to anchor on the bedding will put the screw through the rear tang high enough that you can't operate the bolt. Yes, I've contacted Marlin, and, no, at the moment, it don't appear that they're real interested in changing the material. My 'fix' was to relieve the inside rear face of the trigger guard, insert a washer for the screw to anchor against, and then trim the screw, and tighten 'er down.

Good basic rifles..our pile of 30-06 camo ones is down to two and Ill probably order more next year

So you guys with experience think the trigger is pretty decent on these rifles? I'm thinkin bout gettin a beater that I can spray paint and take predator callin but I'd like to have one that can shoot... just doesn't have to be real pretty.

Default Trigger

Yes, the trigger is a good one! User adjustable down to 3.5 lbs letoff, little take-up, about zero backlash.
    One of the very first rifles we sold came back, because the rear tab on the trigger housing where the attaching screw goes through had cracked. Marlin replaced the entire trigger assembly in just about a week. Only one I've seen have that happen, and I suspect that the owner busted it.
    When/if you pick one up and use it, you may decide that it's not necessarily a 'beater'.

Glad to hear that about Marlin's service, and it's what I've come to expect of them. I'd have happily bought several if they made lefties, too. It's just a whole lot of rifle for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    When/if you pick one up and use it, you may decide that it's not necessarily a 'beater'.
    Thanks Darreld, yeah maybe it won't be such a beater... but for the prices they sell for you can't disagree that it couldn't be used as such.