Thread: searching

Default searching

How do you combine words in the search Like if I wanted to search for the phrase "peanut butter"?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    How do you combine words in the search Like if I wanted to search for the phrase "peanut butter"?
    You should look for the "advanced search" function which actually uses a google search engine. When you hit the "search" dropdown you will see the selection for advanced search. Click that and it will bring you to another screen w/ a standard google search field. I had luck just searching for peanut butter but you can get more specific by putting the search phrase in quotes, so "peanut butter" will only produce that exact phrase while peanut butter (no quotes) may produce results with one or both words though not necessarily together.

Doesn't seem to be working now. I'm looking for info on a particular lake, and no matter how I type the two words together using quotes, parentheses, +, whatever...I end up with any post that has the word "lake". Any suggestions?

I tried again with a few different parameters and it's doing the same thing. "Chickaloon trail" returns anything with the word trail, Klutina + Lake returns anything with lake, (King River Trail) returns anything with King, river or trail.

Please HELP! Without a workable search we're doomed to answer the same questions about the best bear defense and Anchorage-area road system moose hunting.
    Last edited by Diesel Nut; 07-20-2010 at 10:44. Reason: update

Definitely a big loss to not have a google powered search w/ the new upgrade! All the searching I have done around the web says vBulletin search engine does not allow you specify an exact phrase.

The search engine now does a full-text search, which may not give you the results you want especially if you only want to search headers and not the body of the content. You can rectify this by going into 'advanced search' and setting the search type to titles only.

"Forums Tech Admin?"
    Something new. Sounds promising.
    Thanks!

Man1c M0g
    Forums Tech Admin

Location: Portsmouth, Portsmouth, United Kingdom, 111738872170406, Portsmouth
    Looks like the he's been here a while. But what's with that location?!?! You'd think that a Tech guy could figure out how to fill out his profile a little better... (just pokin' atcha a little)

As a side note, I hope somebody eventually comes up with a good search function for forums. Seems every "upgrade" is worse than the last. Now we can't even search for a phrase? Kinda sucks. And a title search is worthless since people often put irrelevant titles on relevant posts. Like "Please Help", or Boat Problem", when they really want info about a specific topic like trim tabs not working, or their motor not starting. It's very frustrating.

OK. Rant over.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Lightbulb the best way to search this site has not changed

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    As always, if you want to search this site, don't use this site to do so.

Go to google.com, then click on advanced search, then under domain name type outdoorsdirectory.com

Then above that, type what you want to search for. So, searching for the phrase peanut butter yields YOUR post as the first hit, plus some others. See this the quick way my just clicking below:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&a...i=&safe=images

FM, I am sure you know more about this than I, but is it really that hard to embed the google search function into the site? I have done a little bit of research on it and it have seen other sites with "search powered by google" in the header bar. The amount of erroneous new threads would drop at least 50% if we had that feature pinned to the top of every page.

Default how hard to embed google search onto site?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    FM, I am sure you know more about this than I, but is it really that hard to embed the google search function into the site?
    I doubt that its very hard at all. It should merely be a job of:

1) flesh out a little HTML snippet of code to do the search: 10-15 min.
    2) Debug & hone it: 10-20 min
    3) Add it to the template that this site uses for a search page: 5 min
    4) Test it: 30 min

But ask your guy Man1c; see what he/she thinks. Maybe its done differently on that side of the pond.

Thanks FM...I tried to add rep, but have to spread the wealth a bit. Here's hoping for a quick fix to the site's search function but until then, google advanced works for me.

Was about to start a topic about the search. Exactly what I was looking for