Thread: In the barrel muzzle brake / porting

Default In the barrel muzzle brake / porting

I have a Marlin 1895 XLR that I had cut back to 20". I most often shoot it from the standing, sitting, or kneeling position, but occassionally shoot from the prone for longer shots. I've noticed the muzzle flip to be a bit excessive on heavy loads when shooting from the prone. Normally I wouldn't mind so much, but this gun gives me a bit of cheek slap and it's starting to cause a flinch when shooting prone.

I'm looking for someone to machine in ports in the Fairbanks area. I don't want to thread the end of the barrel and add a brake. I'm looking for something similar to the factory ported guide gun. Has anyone had something like this done in the Fairbanks area, how pleased were you with it, and can you post a pic? Thanks.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

We port 'em but we arent in Fairbanks

There are folks in FBKS who will drill holes in your barrel, but thats exactly what they are doing, drilling holes in your barrel. tough to get a precise crown when you do that. It might shoot fine, and it might destroy what accuracy you have. Screw a brake on, and take it off when you don't want it, that gives you options. They only add 1 1/4" OA.

My xlr has been coverted to a wild west guns copilot. The barrel has been shortened to about 18 inchs. It has been ported. With a 2.5 power scout scope and Hornady lever evolution 45-70 ammo it easily shoots one inch goups at 100 yards. Accuracy is better than I expected. Muzzle jump is minimal.

drilling holes in your barrel. tough to get a precise crown when you do that
    Porting, even incompetantly done, will not affect the crown, unless the holes are drilled right at the edge of the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    My xlr has been coverted to a wild west guns copilot. The barrel has been shortened to about 18 inchs. It has been ported. With a 2.5 power scout scope and Hornady lever evolution 45-70 ammo it easily shoots one inch goups at 100 yards. Accuracy is better than I expected. Muzzle jump is minimal.
    Do you have a picture of your gun and the porting? The WWG site seems to be under construction in the area of custom guns.

I sounds like you need it mag-na-ported. http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html

I had my Kimber 325 mag-na-ported and it cut the muzzle flip by 90% atleast. Best 150 bucks I spent. Give them a call. You just mail them the barrel. It's not any louder that I can tell and it did not effect the accuracy any either.

I did not want nor need a muzzle brake. I just needed to tame the muzzle jump of the light barreled Kimber. I few other guys around here have had rifles and handguns done as well.

I'm in Fairbanks if you want to look at my barrel. They don't drill. Here's what they do:

"Mag-na-porting is accomplished with Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), a surgically precise method of removing metal. Dielectric oil is flooded over the area of the barrel that is to be "cut," and an electrode. When voltage is applied, the oil is ionized, which establishes a continuous flow of electrons between the electrodes and the barrel...an electrical arc. It is the electron flow which does actual "machining" of the trapezoidal ports.

The patented Mag-na-port process assures the gun owner of a smooth incision of exact dimension. There is no damage to the metal surrounding the ports; no machining marks, as would be the case subsequent to a drilling operation. The finish is similarly protected, as it is blended into the metal exposed by the erosion process during the EDM operation."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I have a Marlin 1895 XLR that I had cut back to 20". I most often shoot it from the standing, sitting, or kneeling position, but occassionally shoot from the prone for longer shots. I've noticed the muzzle flip to be a bit excessive on heavy loads when shooting from the prone. Normally I wouldn't mind so much, but this gun gives me a bit of cheek slap and it's starting to cause a flinch when shooting prone.

I'm looking for someone to machine in ports in the Fairbanks area. I don't want to thread the end of the barrel and add a brake. I'm looking for something similar to the factory ported guide gun. Has anyone had something like this done in the Fairbanks area, how pleased were you with it, and can you post a pic? Thanks.

Thanks for the info on Mag Na Port. Another member gave me the same advice via PM. I was hoping to have it done locally, but it's looking more like I'll have to ship the gun at some point to get it done.

Ya, it's nice if a guy can get things done locally. But Mag-na-port is the only one who does what they do. From the time I mailed them my barrel/action to the time I got it back was less than 3 weeks. I thought turn around time was great. They had it less than a week.

Mag-na-port does excellent work and with none of the risk of folks running drill bits in your barrel. Recommended for the porting work they do.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Mag-na-port does excellent work and with none of the risk of folks running drill bits in your barrel. Recommended for the porting work they do.
    There is no risk in correctly using a milling machine to mill ports in a barrel

I would respectfully disagree. Anytime you do anything to a barrel, you risk affecting accuracy in a negative manner. EDM machining is much more precise than a mill and is burr free. Any time a physical cutter is used on steel, such as an end mill or slitting saw, etc. it will produce a surface that under close examination, is rough. I'm not saying just look at it with the naked eye, oftentimes it'll look very pretty without magnification. Just an obsevation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    There is no risk in correctly using a milling machine to mill ports in a barrel
    If you mill or drill holes through the barrel rifling, won't this affect accuracy and is it possible to clean those holes up? Also if you back bore (if that's the term) a hole from the muzzle, (larger than bore diameter) and porting that to form a muzzle brake, can you get a good crown down where the new muzzle is? What tool do you use for these tasks?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

it will produce a surface that under close examination, is rough. I'm not saying just look at it with the naked eye, oftentimes it'll look very pretty without magnification. Just an obsevation.
    That will have no effect on accuracy

If you mill or drill holes through the barrel rifling, won't this affect accuracy and is it possible to clean those holes up?
    No, just clean them up with a deburring tool and fire a few shots

Also if you back bore (if that's the term) a hole from the muzzle, (larger than bore diameter) and porting that to form a muzzle brake, can you get a good crown down where the new muzzle is? What tool do you use for these tasks?
    You dont bore out the barrel for porting, although you do for muzzle brakes that are integral. They have a special tool for the crown, the kid will chime in on that.

Seriously we have ported maybe 2,000 plus Marlins and we regularly see sub moa groups out of them

I had a brake machined on my 1895M at Arctic Gunworks several years ago.....and it did not affect accuracy one bit. I have photos on another computer and will try to post them when I find them.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Looking at the Mag Na Porting, it looks as though the ports are perpendicular to the barrel axis line. This probably accounts for why there is little recoil reduction, but substantial muzzle rise reduction.

Wildalaska, are the WWG ports milled perpendicular to the barrel axis or are they angled slightly towards the shooter to help with recoil reduction?

They are milled at an angle pointing outward

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Looking at the Mag Na Porting, it looks as though the ports are perpendicular to the barrel axis line. This probably accounts for why there is little recoil reduction, but substantial muzzle rise reduction.

Wildalaska, are the WWG ports milled perpendicular to the barrel axis or are they angled slightly towards the shooter to help with recoil reduction?
    4 trapezoidal slots, 11, 1, 3 and 9 o'clock. Ya, little recoil reduction. I think mag-na-port says 15%. I can't say that it made much difference in recoil on my 7lb Kimber 325. But, I wasn't after that anyway since it's no biggie. It's purpose though is to tame muzzle flip and definitely does that. Night and day on my gun.

Thanks everyone for the information. It sounds as though the WWG porting and Mag Na Port will both accomplish what I want, to reduce the muzzle flip. Which ever one I have done, I'll post back and give my thoughts.