Thread: Anchoring a tent...+1 for enough 550 cord

Default Anchoring a tent...+1 for enough 550 cord

The gusting winds of an Alaska coastal river laughed at most of the tent stakes we used. Of course it's all about the consistency of the ground you're putting the stakes in, but we usually had better luck fastening the tent down to rocks, bags of rocks or heavy gear containers. They stayed anchored although sometimes needed adjustments.

The best was to tie off to trees or the bases of well-rooted alders, willows - which can be surprisingly strong. This was most noticeable with a tipi design with an interior stove -- everything depends on a solid center pole. When I could guy that center pole out to nearby trees/willows/alders - no further adjustments/repairs were needed.

As some guys mentioned on other threads, picking a location that offers some windbreak helps a lot, but these spots also offer good places to guy your tent out. Bring enough 550 cord.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    The gusting winds of an Alaska coastal river laughed at most of the tent stakes we used. Of course it's all about the consistency of the ground you're putting the stakes in, but we usually had better luck fastening the tent down to rocks, bags of rocks or heavy gear containers. They stayed anchored although sometimes needed adjustments.

The best was to tie off to trees or the bases of well-rooted alders, willows - which can be surprisingly strong. This was most noticeable with a tipi design with an interior stove -- everything depends on a solid center pole. When I could guy that center pole out to nearby trees/willows/alders - no further adjustments/repairs were needed.

As some guys mentioned on other threads, picking a location that offers some windbreak helps a lot, but these spots also offer good places to guy your tent out. Bring enough 550 cord.
    Another option.. what i do with my tipi. Is when the ground is really soft and inconsistent. I anchor all my stakes with the deadman style staking technique. Bury the stakes sideways. and then place a large rock or other on top of the corner there. Make sense?? Pretty effective. I also learned as you did, that guying out the top of the tipi (main pole) to the ground keeps it rock solid.

Ya, I usually always (if possible) lay rocks on top of the stakes to help keep them in the ground if gets real bad. It gives me more peace of mind while I am away from the tent all day.

Thumbs up Deadman anchors...

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    ...deadman style staking technique. Bury the stakes sideways. and then place a large rock or other on top of the corner there. Make sense?? Pretty effective. I also learned as you did, that guying out the top of the tipi (main pole) to the ground keeps it rock solid.
    Great option. In fact, last year, my buddy and I are trying to anchor a tarp over the cook area - and there's nothing solid to tie to... soft, sandy ground. He finds a small driftwood log, digs a hole, ties the guyline to the log good and snug then buries the log. Totally solid. Very useful tip!

Default And a great knot too...

the Trucker's Hitch. More than one version that I know of.
    Here's one: http://www.netknots.com/html/truckers_hitch.html

With a loop finish, they can also pull out with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    the Trucker's Hitch. More than one version that I know of.
    Here's one: http://www.netknots.com/html/truckers_hitch.html

With a loop finish, they can also pull out with ease.
    Thanks Leech. I was jury rigging my knots last weekend camping, and I realized I needed some refresher, and that one looks like a good one.