Thread: Lost Strike Indicator.....

Default Lost Strike Indicator.....

I lost a strike indicator on the Kenai between Sportsman's and Jim's today - attached to the indicator were an Orvis 6wt, a Battenkill 7/8 plus the accompanying hook, leader, bead, fly line, and a rainbow of some size. This is a long shot, but, if found I would appreciate a PM. The minimum reward is you get to hear the idiotic story of how the rod ended up in the Kenai. Believe me, it is not the normal "rod tip got hung in a sweeper" story. The rod is replaceable and the fish would have been released...but, the reel and I have a history going back quite a few years to when I picked it up in London (as a soldier visiting there) on the cheap after it was used in a bank commercial.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Sorry for your loss, and best wishes for recovery.

But hats off for creativity! Well done.

Ill be hitting it off and on this week... Ill keep an eye out. With an up-beat and interesting description like that, you definataley deserve to get it back.

Best of luck.

Default I feel your pain

My nephew lost an old rod of mine with my favorite Ross Gunnison near Cooper Creek a couple of seasons ago, so I feel your pain. The rod was cheap in my case, but I loved that reel. I just finally sold the extra spool on ebay a couple of months ago.

Good luck and I hope you get your gear back.

I'll keep an eye-out the next time I'm there.

A more precise location might help as well. The fish could have popped-off or hung-up somewhere nearby.

Sorry to say I have not seen your indicator. But I was able to find an anchor I lost on the Kenai earlier in the season. I was fishing from my boat on the upper (Sportsmans to Jims) with my wife yesterday. I have been back to the spot that I had lost it at a few times to look for it. But now that the water level has dropped I decided yesterday would be a good time to get out and wade around and look for it. I was lucky enough to find it. $80 worth of lead.
    The anchor was in good shape still. The eye bolt is a little rusted and had some growth but the anchor was in good condition. I was stunned when I lost the anchor. I had no idea how it happened since my clip that holds the anchor was fine. I guess I should have been using a clip that locks.

Hopefully my story brings you some luck!

Default Thanks

Gents,
    Thanks for the comments and encouragement. The real silver lining is this gives me an excuse to float a few more times this year (like I needed an excuse). I am not holding out too much hope since I believe I've used all my luck this year - my hunting partner and I both connected with a moose two weeks ago (he shot his while I was catching silvers and char at the mouth of the lake).

Dave

Default Story

Totally off track but, my dad was trolling at finger lake one day and caught a small Ugly stick! Not telling what you will find!

I don't know if you spend time on any other Alaska fishing forums, but you should post your story at http://www.alaskaflyfish.net. A lot of guys over there spend tons of time on the Kenai and seem like decent chaps.

Good luck....

Default Habit of Losing Things

DH, I've been fortunate to have fished with you a few times in the past, and your story calls to mind another fishing episode where you lost some things. Well, almost lost them.

If that Cook Inlet skate had waited any longer to come up, we on the boat with you would have paid dearly for your decision to leave your belt at home.

We would've been scarred for life

Good luck, my friend. I hope the outfit turns up.
    NRA Life Member
    "Semper Fidelis, Semper Vigiles"

Default Fishing was slow....

Dave,

Fishing was slow on the Kenai today, but the nicest thing I caught was your rod and reel. I'll send you a pm with my number. You just wanted your strike indicator back right....lol, j/k.

Jason

Default Thanks to Jason

As you can see from the post above, Jason found the rod and it may make it on another trip down the river or up to Willow. My wife jokingly told me to add a bungee (or, dummy cord as many of us know it) to my rod. Thanks to Jason....there are tons just like him on the forum.
    I will remember to play his kindness forward
    Dave

Thumbs up

That is awesome. Nice work fellas.