Thread: New bow form

Default New bow form

Quick pic of a new long bow form I made. It will handle bows from 60 to 72 inches and has 3 inches of reflex. The bow currently curing has Ipe limbs and a Ipe/lacewood riser. It's 66inches nock to nock.(62 inch AMO)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick, that is interesting, half a form? Is that all wood, or glass bows? I'm interested to hear how things come out.

I just got a bow bench built this week, working on a tillering gizmo (eric krewsons) tonight yet, and hopefully a tiller tree before monday. Have some bbo's I want to get bending. this week some time...would like to bring one home for the old man, I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it!

My "shop" is a 8x11 bedroom so creative problem solving is a way of life. It also eliminates toxic or strong smelling adhesives. I've solved the whole issue by building all natural material bows and using non toxic adhesives. By laminating the bow in stages, back and first riser layer first then adding limb and riser layers, you can construct one limb at a time. This allows you to biuld on a half form saving tons of space. You can also biuld several different lengths of bow on the same form. It is unfortunately more time consuming and will only work for reflexed long bows.

Unfortunately I wont be bringing one of my bows back to Michigan with me. The one on the form had a terminal lamination failure. Strictly operator failure so I can't blame the new form. A good friend loaned me his widow so I don't think I need to worry about the equipment I'll be using.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

so are you building Paul Klosters trilams? heck do you even know of Paul? I havent talked to him in awhile, wonder what he's been up too!

I'm not sure how you're getting away with a glue up on a half a bow form though?!?!..but hey if it works!

Jaap Koppedrayer from yumi had a video you might be interested in. No form neccissary, just some wet cord and some wedges...you can build any kind of bow, adding R/D wherever you want by how tight (or loose the wedges are placed. Interesting stuff and would fit your needs VERY well!!!

Try this link
    http://www.hornbow.com/wedgie.html

The video is called...all wraped up in bow making.

I have it in vhs...good stuff! If you ever get up this way we'll have to watch it over a beer

you'll need a LOT of wedges..but they are made easily enough and save a ton of room!!!

Don't know of Paul or his bows, but I am building a reflexed trilam. I'll look into the wedge building technique.
    BHA Member

basically it starts out candy cane looking on the first wrap from tip tip. Then you wrap back making X's front and back...the wedges are tapped in the X's, front and back depending on how you want the bow to bend. The rope soaked so it'll stretch when the wedges were insterted, and will come tight as it dries! Pretty sweety stuff!