Thread: RL-17 & 375 Weatherby

Default RL-17 & 375 Weatherby

2700 fps out of a 20" tube with 87 grains RL-17 and 300 grain Partitions. We'll see how she shoots tomorrow. I might be able to get a little more out of her, doesn't seem to be excessive pressure at 87 grains. Will chronograph and shoot for accuracy tomorrow. Hope I have better results than with my .300 WSM. With it I could get over 3300 fps out of a 23" tube and 165's, but couldn't get it to group (not as well as 4831 anyway).
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Hey blackfoot, what else have you tried the 17 in?

Default 300

Just the .300WSM and .375 Weatherby. I still think it will work in the 300, but not at high velocities. I was still running over 3100 fps and the groups were starting to shrink, think I need to try some slightly milder loads. I'm running just over 2900 with my 4831 load that shoot in one hole.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

At least you have something to work with. I've been thinking about picking some up to try in the 270 WSM. Maybe I'll pick up a pound and see how it goes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    2700 fps out of a 20" tube with 87 grains RL-17 and 300 grain Partitions. We'll see how she shoots tomorrow. I might be able to get a little more out of her, doesn't seem to be excessive pressure at 87 grains. Will chronograph and shoot for accuracy tomorrow. Hope I have better results than with my .300 WSM. With it I could get over 3300 fps out of a 23" tube and 165's, but couldn't get it to group (not as well as 4831 anyway).
    If you wanted more velocity, you should have left the barrel longer, as you are already in the danger zone. RL-17 is similar to IMR-4350, and the A-Square manual shows a max of 85 grains for 2641fps @ 52,100cup using a 26" barrel. H4350, just a tad slower than the IMR, 85 grains for 2640fps @ 53,500cup using a 24" barrel from Hodgdon. Unfortunately, Nosler doesn't list the 375 W.
    Weatherby's website shows 2800fps, but we don't know the powder, and the barrel is assumed to be 26".

Whatever the load though, with 20", the muzzle blast must be awe inspiring. I know it is with my 25" barreled ZKK-602.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Velocity

Not really looking for more velocity, I like the lightweight handly little rifle. I bought the rifle in this configuration, I probably would have gone 22", but what the heck. The velocity was just suprising to me, wasn't getting near that with 4350 or 4064. RL17 does seem to live up to the hype with regards to velocity, but we'll see how the accuracy department does.

How much does your little fire-breather weigh? All loaded up and ready my ZKK weighs roughly 11 pounds. I have a completely stock ZKK in 375 H&H that is near 10 pounds empty.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Default Weight

7lbs 7 oz w/a Leupold 3.5-10 on it. A little lighter with it removed using the ghost ring sight.

Dude....you have GOT to have the iron-shoulder to fire that beast! When I shoot mine it sure punches me in the chest.

Default Potential

1.5" @ 100 with 85 grains. I think it'll do better when I have a steady bench, and maybe a lead sled :-) She sure jumps, could use some porting to reduce muzzle jump. Looks like a promising powder for the 375 Weatherby.