Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to feed the puppy?

Default What to feed the puppy?

What do you guys feed your puppy's? I'm getting mine in a week, and I wanted to get some food to take with me (to the valley) when I pick it up. Any suggestions from the Fairbanks crew as to which shop is best to go to? I'm getting a lab in case that matters.

JP

Smile read the ingredients

You want to get food that doesnt have corn meal in it. Its the filler. Just about every name brand has corn in the first ingredient. And its not really good for them. Dogs need protein not corn. Rice is ok. (and pretty unavoidable) Usually you find it in expensive pet stores but....... Go to costco. The kirkland brand puppy and adult dog food is corn free. Its a yellow bag. Some dogs are allergic to corn meal too. And its cheap I get here for 13 bucks per 20 # bag. Also my Black lab has a very shiny coat. Get lots of comments on how shiny he is.

We don't have a Costco here in Fairbanks. What other options are there?

JP

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, the Wolf Cub (and then Wolf King for adults) is made primarily of bison, salmon and rice. It is recommended by most NOT to use your typical puppy foods for large breed dogs. They promote rapid growth which may contribute to joint problems when they are older.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I guess the first thing I would do is keep him/her on whatever the breeder has them on for the time being. When he/she is a little older do a gradual mix of whatever food you decide to go with.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

We're feeding our new (yellow lab) guy Eagle Pack Large/Giant breed puppy. Lamb and rice, no corn. We get it at Cold Spot Feeds in FBX- real good folks and they know dogs. I'd mix it in with whatever the breeder is feeding him for a bit until he gets used to it.

Typical puppy chow promotes growth thats too rapid for large breeds- that's hard on their joints and skeleton.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stop by cold spot feeds and talk with them about it. They are on old steese right?

What do you guys thing about treats? Any suggestions there?

Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiahak View Post
    What do you guys thing about treats?
    Minimize. Use very small bits for training treats. If the pup likes the regular kibble a lot, you can use that. Otherwise, consider small pieces of baby carrots or cut up hot dogs. The vast majority of "treats" that you can get at the grocery store are pure sugar (corn) and it's very easy to overdo it. They are also generally over priced for what's in the bag.

I do like the all natural cookies (shaped like a heart, can't recall the brand name at the moment), but even with these I break them into smaller pieces when it comes to using them for training rewards.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Make 'em yourself. Agree with JOAT that most of what's out there is garbage. I do have a couple of recipes for homemade ones using peanut butter- I'll PM them to you when I get a chance. Better than store bought and a LOT cheaper.

Regular ole kibble (like JOAT said) works good as does lunch meat, hot dogs and such.

What kind of pup did you get? I went down to Wasilla and got my lab over the summer.

I'm picking up a lab next weekend. I'm really looking forward to it. I have three children, and I think that adding a puppy is going to be very fun.

Jeremiah

Dog food has started wars, don't ya know?

I usually feed pups a large breed puppy food (Eukanuba, Pro Plan, Nutro, etc.), but don't keep them on it for too long. Switch them to adult food before 6 months usually & often after 40 lbs. of puppy food. Why? So as not to promote excess growth & the problems associated with that. Also don't let them get fat.

Just 2 cents worth!

Karen

Karen,

I appreciate your 2 cents. I'm a total newbie, and I could use all the help I can get. The bottom line is I'm going to have a puppy here on Saturday, and I don't know what in the hell I'm doing.

Jeremiah

Default Earlier posts

I suggest you go back and look at earlier posts on this subject. Dog food can be a bit tricky. Just because somebody "thinks" their dog is doing well, does not mean the dog is able to maximize the diet, or even that the diet is good for the dog.
    This is not pointed at an earlier poster, but a shiny coat has little do do with overall health of a dog. A shiny coat can be a product of certain specific ingredients, and not that the food is a quality product.
    Most store brand foods are made to AAFCO specs and not made to really benefit the dog. Those foods are not made consistently, therefore the dogs sometimes have issues along the way.
    I suggest you do some research into how dog food is made, i.e. per AAFCO guidelines or nutritional studies, or fixed formula vs not a fixed formula, and then go from there. Just because the ingredients on a bag look good, there is little to guarantee that the product is as advertised unless it is a fixed formula.
    I will not tell you what I feed. You'll find out if you go back and look at some earlier threads and posts. As you do some research, keep in mind that every manufacturer wants you to be a customer. I'd do research on vet sites, or sites that have nothing to gain by you reading their information.
    I have no idea why the subject of dog food is so contentious, or why people will not take the time to get informed as to what they feed their dogs. Advertising is a powerful thing I guess, as is personal perception and self gratification. Some folks want to believe that they are doing the right thing, and will not take the time or effort to prove it.
    3CBRS is correct, dog food discussions can cause heated debates. And normally you'll find the debaters have spent precious little time studying how food is made and are only able to debate the perceived merits of the brands they feed.
    I suggest you find a canine nutritionist and ask them some questions also. Most vets have very little expertise in this area, so be careful there. You may find somebody that is knowledgeable up at UAF also. Those folks normally have nothing to gain by giving you information.
    Good luck with your selection, and your puppy.
    ARR

This is definitly step 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I guess the first thing I would do is keep him/her on whatever the breeder has them on for the time being. When he/she is a little older do a gradual mix of whatever food you decide to go with.
    I feed my dogs Eagle pack, you can only get it at Pet Zoo (animal food warehouse) I belive. I have two boxers that i raised from puppies and i have been told by many different sources that it is a great brand for Boxers. When i switched them over, i would also mix some wet food with warm water, then add the dried food. Canned tripe is another good thing to feed them while they are growing. Once they reached a year old, I weened them off the wet food and put them right on dry food.

AK River Rat,

You managed to write a small book, and still avoided to answer as to what you feed your dogs.

Actually, you raise some very good points in your post. I will try and do as much research as is possible.

What type of dogs do you have?

Jeremiah

I have always fed my dogs Diamond. Their coats look great, have plenty of energy, and seem to do just fine with it.

Default It is not about the brand

All of us want to believe we are doing the best for our dogs. None of the respondents thus far would knowingly feed their dogs a bad or poor diet. The problem lies, as I see it, in 2 parts.
    The first is knowledge. For the most part people do not understand the complex world and regulations of animal feed. We are taught to "believe in the label". The ingredient list on a can of Dinty Moore Stew has to be accurate in content. Dog food manufacturers, depending on how the food is registered, or made, have no such obligations.
    The second is advertising. What a great thing to watch the Purina golden retriever running across our television screen, or watch the dog sliding across the linoleum floor in his haste to get to his dog food bowl. Advertising plays on our emotions. It does so in many ways.
    Tell me, what nutritional value do blueberries have for dogs? Or carrots? Or Glucosimine Condroitin? Or? We want to believe that the "special" ingredients are just "what the doctor ordered" so to speak.
    But what studies did the manufacturer complete prior to offering that specific food for sale? Who was the caninine nutritionist that ran the feed studies? What were the findings? Where was the testing facility? What were the controls?
    Yeah yeah. I know. We all just want to feed our dogs and don't want it to be complex or difficult.
    What do I feed? Doesn't matter. Decide for yourself based on knowledge.

I'll throw in my 2 cents...

DO NOT ASK YOUR VET!!! I say this in regards to the majority of vets out there. As stated previously, vets usually aren't experts in nutrition. However, they do have pretty large margins on some of the products they sell in their office and would have no problem imparting some 'wisdom' on you in order to move some bags of food out the door. If you honestly trust your vet and feel like he would know, by all means, listen to him. Just do your research. It wouldn't hurt to ask the vet how much experience he has in retrievers performing in this manner.

Also, food for thought, (no pun intended), do some research on DHA in puppy foods - surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Another thing, look at the first few ingredients in the food. You'll want to make sure it says (insert meat) vs. (insert meat) meal. From my understanding, and I'm by no means an expert, if you get an ingredient that says chicken, it's more than likely better quality meat as well as a better cut than if it said chicken meal. Same applies to other meats. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As stated, this is just my 2 cents. My advice is worth what you pay for it.

I'm very glad that I posted this thread. I'm getting more useful information out of it then I've gotten from a lot of surfing on various dog sites.

AK River Rat, I can tell already that I'm going to like you. I will take your advice and do some research. I hope that I'm able to find some decent resources here in little old fairbanks on doggie nutrition.

4 days to go, and then I'm going to be a proud new dog owner. The best part is I still have no idea what I'm going to feed her.

Jeremiah

Default here we go

You got some good advice when it was mentioned that you should keep the puppy on the same food as it has been eating. No need to stress the pup anymore than necessary by adding a change in to the diet.
    The change, if it happens, can come a bit later, and then it should happen slowly. Remember, it takes, depending on whom you talk to, anywhere from 30 days to 90 days for a dog to be able to fully metabolize a change in diet.
    D&D brings up good points about meat vs. meal. Maybe more importantly is that all items on the menu are prioritized by weight. That is fresh weight, not dried, dehydrated, or cooked. Think about the amount of water you lose when you turn meat to jerkey. Same happens with dog food. So does the food you are looking at really have more meat than the carbs listed? Really? Hmm.
    For now I suggest you stick to Google, and query sites that are not manufacture based. Get the real skinny on the food, then take that info, and make calls to the manufacturer.
    Questions I might ask:
    1- Who was the canine nutritionist that developed the formula. What are that persons credentials. Where did they get their training.
    2- Where was the feed study conducted (assuming there was one completed and the food was not made to "meet AAFCO recommended guidelines")? How many animals in the initial studies, how long was the study conducted, and what controls were used to prove or disprove the diet?
    3- Is the diet registered as a fixed formula?
    4- I would want to know what the food value of each ingredient is and how did they prove it? We see a lot of foods that look good. Heck, some of them I feel like trying. But that does not mean the ingredients can be digested and used by a dog.
    Look at the bag. There are minimums listed for several items. A couple interact with each other. What relationship do they have? Why is it important that not only are there minimum percentages in the food, but maximum percentages also? Start thinking internal organs here.

I've been where you are. I looked around, and selected what I thought was great food from a quality company. Lo and behold, the more I looked into it all, the scarier it was. Turned out several states had banned the sale of dog food by that company. WOW! Oh yeah, they still sell dog food in AK. Why? Personal opinion here, but the AAFCO affiliated group in AK does not seem to be very inclined to get deep into animal feed issues.
    So what about puppy food? I bet most of the ones you find say something to the effect of, "approved by AAFCO for all life stages" or "meets recommendations for all life stages". That does not sound like puppy food to me.
    I'll close with this. Most folks think their dog food is spot on because of 2 things. 1, the dogs coats are shiny, and 2, the dogs have good stools. There are a myriad number of things I can feed a dog to get both results. It just does not sound very scientific to me.
    And my dogs are labs. One old, one young and both have great coats and solid stools.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast