Thread: small protable generator

Default small protable generator

the best small protable generator set up with wheels and handle for moveing the unit around as need ..

so gas or diesel typle..which is better for the alaska cold ..

my plan on useing one a week to help with chargeing of the batties and running of the washer and dryer set up ..

my plan is this bring out onto the deck area that been inclosed on three sides with a roof ..right below the roof line is a opening to let air in and fumes and other noise out as need ..it open in the front area..so it keeps the cold wind and rain off the unit as much as i can ..

then start it up and run it for the time need ..then shut it down and let it cool and put it back into the stowage shed area on the deck unit ..

just run the power cord over to the plug battie charger system unit for chargeing the batties and have another power cord unit comeing over to the generator unit for running the washer and dryer unit dureing that time.. ..

good - bad - right or wrong any info ..

I think the one your looking for is the 6500 honda. It runs about $2800.00 with the battery and the bat. holder. Nice gensets.( I know that they advertise them for $2599.00, but thats without the bat. or the bat holder.) They are gas. Diesels would be my choice if it was running all the time and the fuel was in a warm building with the genset.

Up here you will still need to keep it in a relative warm spot after you shut it off. -20 to -50 will do bad things to a motor if its cold start, if it will start.

My 02 cents.

The honda is over 200 pounds.

How many watts do you need? It's awful tough to beat a Honda EU2000 if you don't need any more power. It only weighs 47 lbs. Super quiet too.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Genset

To run the washer and dryer plus charge the batteries you're looking at a 6KW+ size genset. Gas starts a little easier when cold than diesel motors do. However the motor oil in the sump doesn't flow any easier in either motor once extremely cold. Low RPM diesels last longer than gas engines and are more fuel effecient they are more expensive as well.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Doug, will a 2000 run a dryer, if so thats the way he needs to go. If he wants to hang the cloths, then a dryer does'nt come into effect.

A 2000 will run a washer. It will turn a propane dryer also, but won't work on an electric dryer. A 2000 will also run the 110 well pump at my house. It just won't do all of these things at once.

I have a 6500 Honda. They have been made forever and mine is probably 25 years old now. They are a great generator, just kind of loud, especially if you put them on the deck. The whole place will vibrate. The 6500 I have powered our house back when my I was a teenager and we didn't have electricity. Every Sunday was laundry day and that was the only day that generator ran, other than pumping water for 15 minutes a day. The rest of the time we ran a Honda 800 for a few lights and the T.V.

the unit is a 110.volt combo washer and dryer set up..it a small unit ..

If it's 110, it's most likely a max of 13 amps, if it's designed to run on a normal household circuit. The EU2000 Honda will run it if it's 13 amps, but just barely.

I think it does not matter, what size generator a person needs, until someone figures out how to keep a washer from freezing up in a unheated shed, assuming you have running hot and cold water.

Default Craigslist is loaded with generators

Just a short search on craigslist brought up a couple dozen gensets.
    Everthing from small Honda units - to the top of the line Northern Lights
    diesel units. There is Honda units in there from 1000 Watt thru 6500 Watt
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

or find a place that does lrandry there in the area .. it trying to figure out the watts i need ..

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    or find a place that does lrandry there in the area .. it trying to figure out the watts i need ..
    Multiply the AmpsXVolts to find out Watts. You need to add about 50% to that to account for peak watts.

ie:

If the washer ran on 110 volts and draws 13 amps you would need 1430 watts to run it.

110x13=1430

So 2000 watts should run something like that just fine.
    That's what she said...

Charging the batteries will be the biggest current draw. Well, with the appliance list I've seen on other threads, maybe not!

Its hard to beat a Northern Lights generator. The little 6kw is probably the most popular off-grid generator in Alaska. It certainly is among the guys I know. Install it inside the shed and add an exhaust riser kit to route the exhaust outdoors using conventional iron pipe. Easy to start with no pre-heating down to -30. Not that it wouldn't start at colder temps, I've just never tried. 25,000 hours life expectancy before major maintenance. Reliable. And with the remote starter panel, very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Charging the batteries will be the biggest current draw. Well, with the appliance list I've seen on other threads, maybe not!

Its hard to beat a Northern Lights generator. The little 6kw is probably the most popular off-grid generator in Alaska. It certainly is among the guys I know. Install it inside the shed and add an exhaust riser kit to route the exhaust outdoors using conventional iron pipe. Easy to start with no pre-heating down to -30. Not that it wouldn't start at colder temps, I've just never tried. 25,000 hours life expectancy before major maintenance. Reliable. And with the remote starter panel, very convenient.
    Where can I buy a Northern Lights generator?
    That's what she said...

Alaska Diesel Electric on International Airport Road.

http://www.northern-lights.com/landbased/NL673L3.html

I ;run a Norhtern Lights 5 kw at the lodge and it does most things well. I don't like it when the washer starts it's agitation while the 110 wellpump is going but I just throw the breaker to the pump for 10 minutes then ready to go.

I think that two EU2000 linked would take care of his needs. He could use just one to charge the batteries which will need more time on the genset per week than the laundry. Just a thought. He could then pack the honda's back in side while not in use. 8 hours on a gallon of gas per honda is better than 1/5 gal per hour on the diesel money wise but for the long term can't go wrong with the Norhtern Lights.

George

To make an example, consider this. A 2000EU Honda might charge a battery bank at 15 amps output. That's in ideal conditions with ideal charging equipment. Now consider henry2's appliance list. Do any of you live off-grid and run your cabins on inverters? If so, you already know the power requirement for that appliance list is pretty darn big. To put it in perspective? I have a fairly common but relatively sophisticated inverter system. It works in concert with 4-L16 batteries that store just short of 750 amp-hours of power @12vdc. Last week I plugged my wife's electric coffee maker in rather than using the percolator on the stove top. My system was fully charged and reading 13.2 volts on the meter. When I turned the coffee maker on the low voltage alarm instantly went off and the meter read 11.1. So it goes for heat-producing electric appliances. On with the gennie.

750 amp hours. How many hours does a 15 amp charger need to run to charge and maintain 750 amp hours? And 750 amp hours/2500 watts isn't enough for wifey's coffee maker!