Thread: 1st AK trip a success!!

Default 1st AK trip a success!!

Hi all, some of you have been a great help to me in planning my first alaskan hunt so I wanted to share w/ you. Small craft Advisory prevented us from heading out into the Sound fri, the 11th. dropped our rented boat in cooper lake instead, I spotted 12 blacks up high on the same mountain that night from the lake, saturday, dawn, i headed up to the top, it took a couple hours of work to get up there. Saw 9 bears up there in a big hollow, picked out the biggest one and went after him. Shot was around 400 yds. around 3,500 ft elevation. I misjudged that by a bit and hit him low, grazed one lung and exited in the guts. He ran downhill to where the alders stop, took a while to recover him. not sure of exact size, didnt have a tape, F&G thought around 5 yr old male. Shot him w/ a 30-06 single shot.
    Didn't get to do everything we wanted too, bc of weather and boat rental screw-ups, (planned on hunting the Yentna for bears and moose, but our order got screwed up and we got a boat much too small for the load.) but still had a good time, saw tons of black bears, goats, and a few moose, so i was happy. Also another guy in the party shot a blackie off cooper lake a week later. My guess would be a 3 yr old male. Thanks again for the help, couldn't have done it w/out you....very appealing to drop my life and move up there............Very impressed w/ your density and diversity of game in southcentral alaska
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pics

of cooper lake bears
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on the bear! Alaska is the best!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Congrats on a successful bear hunt, welcome to Alaska!

Congrats on the bear. Glad you had a good experience even with the screw ups.

Big Time congrats!!! Nice looking bear!