Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail call

Default Blacktail call

Heading to Kodiak to chase goats around next week. I am taking deer tags w/ me and I thought it may be a good idea to pick up a call of some sorts. Any idea of a small lightweight call that gets it done? I am also up for tips and tricks for their use. I have a blast around here calling up moose but have never tried it w/ the smaller nimbler deer species

Default Make one

I make mine by putting a rubber band between 2 pieces of wood. Otherwise most stores sell a little plastic one that's about 2.5 inches long and slights oval shaped. I've never hunted Kodiak but that's what i always use here in SE.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Heading to Kodiak to chase goats around next week. I am taking deer tags w/ me and I thought it may be a good idea to pick up a call of some sorts. Any idea of a small lightweight call that gets it done? I am also up for tips and tricks for their use. I have a blast around here calling up moose but have never tried it w/ the smaller nimbler deer species
    I've taken a doe bleat. Its half the size of a can of soup but lighter. Have not had a buck crash out of the brush at me while using so I can't vouch for them working.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

quiet bleats in the timber, wait for the action, then drop the hammer!

oh, and don't get run over

Default Call

I've used the doe bleat cans from Primos for the last 3 years on Kodiak and it has worked great. They just don't do to well when they get wet, I keep mine in a plastic zip lock and it works fine in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just curious but...what are your risks of luring in a bear with said calls? I normally wouldn't pose that question, but you are heading to Kodiak where the rules are different lol
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Just take some flagging/ribbon. Works great. Used it last week calling in blacktails on kodiak. Does are coming into it.. as always.. Its a little early for the bucks yet.

Default wood call

I like the ones made of wood and are shaped kinda like a 2 inch long triangular wedge. They are spendy though like 25-30 bucks. The kmeere deer one works sometimes too.

Default wood call

As far as wood calls go, the Hank Masters works well if you keep it tuned correctly. Works best on bucks during the rut.

Default tail calls

Have a few mostly bleats, you are welcome to try them on your trip. 20 years in S.E. has seen and tried a lot of different ones. Just don't get run over by an lovesick buck. Now that I'm up here they have not been used.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Have a few mostly bleats, you are welcome to try them on your trip. 20 years in S.E. has seen and tried a lot of different ones. Just don't get run over by an lovesick buck. Now that I'm up here they have not been used.
    You know Al, you never got any deer down here.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You can make your own bleat with just about any reed. People have mentioned flagging tape, and rubber bands... A leaf pinched between the thumbs can also work.

Dewman can give you lessons on turning a deer call into a bear repellent mad duck call.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Just curious but...what are your risks of luring in a bear with said calls? I normally wouldn't pose that question, but you are heading to Kodiak where the rules are different lol
    See also Harley Seivenpiper (sp). Got ate.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

your too early,rut doesn't really kick in until the end off oct. - nov... try it anyway,,,,you never know...good luck on the goat....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    your too early,rut doesn't really kick in until the end off oct. - nov... try it anyway,,,,you never know...good luck on the goat....
    Yes and no, we call them in often prior rut, my son called in a nice forky last week.

The typcial deer call emits a "bleat" - a sort of squeaky noise reminiscent of a predator call. Several times, I've heard live bucks and does make this noise. The first time I heard it was from a whitetail, 30 years ago when I was bow hunting in the Midwest.

The normal calling strategy is to set yourself up in a place where you are concealed, but also have good views. Ideally, the ground downwind from you is not very approachable by a deer - cagey animals will often try to come in downwind of you. Blow the call with short bursts 2 or 3 times, spaced a minute or so apart. Keep your eyes peeled for any movement. It always amazes me how deer can seemingly melt into view in a place where you formerly hadn't seen them.

The response to the call varies. Typically, the deer - both bucks and does - approach carefully. But sometimes, especially during the rut, the animals - again, both bucks and does - can literally come running right at you. Other times, a deer may be intrigued by the call, but not come into it at all - I've been in situations where I spotted deer before they saw me; I blew the call to test their reaction and after an initially perking up, the deer went back to whatever it was doing and ignored any subsequent calls. All in all, though, deer calls work best during the rut. I'm not sure when the peak rut period occurs on Kodiak, but I imagine it's similar to North SE, which is the first couple weeks of November.

Bears will come to deer calls. I've had them sneak in, and friends have had them charge in. Be careful in October on Kodiak, during a period when bears are still active.

I keep my call on a string around my neck. No fumbling in a pocket for it, and it stays clean and dry (a call doesn't work if it get clogged). Plus, on the occasions where a nice buck suddenly appears and I need to shoot quickly, the call just drops out of my mouth and I don't have to worry about losing it.

Have fun.

I honestly don't expect to sit and call with it, but I figure it may work to get a buck to move out of some cover for a better look. It sure beats whistling at them or just hoping for the best. I ended up picking up a knight and hale gravity doe bleat call. It seems idiot proof and that is a good thing for the guy that has never hunted deer before!

when using them be ready! i have had bucks and does come charging in. if bowhunting HAVE AN ARROW NOCKED.
    on kodiak or any where be on look out for bears thou.
    used one on Kodiak years ago one episode called in 4 deer and killed two in about 2 minutes with my recurve. friend was about a mile way and saw 7 bears and none came to me. thank goodness. friend in SE that should me how to call and make them had called in black bears regularly. Typically for black bears the respond to continous calling not intermittent ????brown bears????

i use two pieces of bamboo 2 or 2-1/2" long and probably about 1/2 -5/8 wide , cut from a piece large enough diameter to have curvature for "reed" rubber bands work i prefer friction tape cut into strip ? 3/8 wide
    wrap electrical tape along ends of one piece of bamboo ( helps center reed. then put two pieces of bamboo together and tape at the ends.

i usually blow a cresendo decresendo (sp) elonganted blow about 3 "bleats" pause and repeat few minutes later.
    piece of plastic pipe will work in place of bamboo but i do not like them as well. last year made one from? 1" pipe i had on my boat will try and locate pictures and post them.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Put a few flat rubber bands in your pocket, when you"re bored take an alder branch about thumb size or a little smaller in diameter and 6-8 inches long, carefully split it lengthwise, whittle out the inside surfaces a little concave, stretch the rubber band through the middle and rubber band the ends together.
    If your not hunting during the rut you'll probably call in a lot more does than bucks, at least that's my experience in SE, I don't know about Kodiak.
    Mark

If they sound at all like a whitetail I have a couple you can take with you, and give them a try.
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast