Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were to catch burbot in palmer-willow?

Default Were to catch burbot in palmer-willow?

Were can you catch some burbot anywere from palmer to willow? I heard that caswell creek has some at the mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Were can you catch some burbot anywere from palmer to willow? I heard that caswell creek has some at the mouth?
    I've seen a huge Burbot carcass at Sunshine Creek while fishing for silvers....but its alittle further than willow.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Were is it located? I can have my parents drive me anywere realy i just didnt want suggestions for fairbanks lol

Sunshine is up past the Talkeetna cut-off. You could try the mouth of Caswell, sunshine, greys creek (can you still walk in there?) or the 2nd or 3rd mouth of Willow creek. Soak bait right on the bottom, little to know weight. I have caught them on everything from salmon eggs to duck guts. Look for water where the silt and fresh mix, but a bit down into the silt, with very little current (like a slough). Good luck.

Wink

The mouth of Rabideau Creek is good. Just about any of the creeks that have slow water, like Sheep Creek Slough and a few others have them too. Fish with cut bait on the bottom, right where the clear water meets the silty water. Good eating fish. Good luck catching them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I should check the regs before piping up here, but I believe Bait is closed on the susitna and its drainages right now

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I should check the regs before piping up here, but I believe Bait is closed on the susitna and its drainages right now
    Always a good deal to know the regs. There is special provisions for Burbot. Read that part.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks Akres, Ive been wanting to fish burbot in the su, but Noticed bait was only open for a short timeframe. I have not seen the burbot exclusion. Ill have to dig up the regs in the garage and find it

Last year I saw a Monster Carcus laying around just south of the mouth of Montana Creek last year. He was a big'n. You know the whole there where everyone stands.

I think a Silver fisherman caught him.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    I've seen a huge Burbot carcass at Sunshine Creek while fishing for silvers....but its alittle further than willow.

Fish On!

hey i saw that same burbot carcass right at the mouth there where everyone cleans their fish, that thing was a BEAST! he was bigger than alot of the burbs we get on crosswind. all we could catch for burbot at sunshine were 15-20" inchers, which are hardly worth skinnin out.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    all we could catch for burbot at sunshine were 15-20" inchers, which are hardly worth skinnin out.
    As the water gets skinnier, the burbot get more concentrated. Late fall and winter, you can catch more/bigger fish than in summer.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

thanks for the tip, i never thought about that!

hey i saw that same burbot carcass right at the mouth there where everyone cleans their fish, that thing was a BEAST! he was bigger than alot of the burbs we get on crosswind. all we could catch for burbot at sunshine were 15-20" inchers, which are hardly worth skinnin out.

Ahh, yeah that thing was freakin huge! Seen a guy catch his limit of silvers at Sunshine, then walk down to where that side slough dumps into the main Su and fish for Burbot. Seeing that carcass left me with no doubt that there are some in there...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Well I dug out the regs, I still cant find an exception wich is weird cause you would think there would be one for Burbot, or at least Pike.

A call to Fish and game stumped the guy too. He's gonna make some calls tomorrow and get back to me. Ill post up what I find out.

Well I dug out the regs, I still cant find an exception wich is weird cause you would think there would be one for Burbot, or at least Pike.

A call to Fish and game stumped the guy too. He's gonna make some calls tomorrow and get back to me. Ill post up what I find out.
    Page 22 on the left side bottom. You can use bait as long as it is fished on a hook 3/4" or larger and on bottom. Also other fish caught have to be released.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

How could you say the word "crosswind" in a public forum!?!?! SHHHHH! HUSH IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post

Burbot is a preferred food of mine. With that said.....I go by the bag limit of the area....if it's too restrictive......I pass. I hope that you are able to someday venture a little further off the beaten path for burbot........it is most rewarding. Please consider saving the liver and eggs.....it's prime stuff to add to a chowder.....and extremely nutritious. If you could find a buddy to split gas with.....the extra miles traveled north will open you to some of the best burbot fishing around. Good luck.

I tried along the parks highway streams this weekend.

I couldnt try greys slough, its private land around it now.

I stopped at the susitna landing on Kashwitna. After I convinced the facility guy there that Burbot fishing was legal with bait, I didnt fish there cause they are still charging 6 bucks to park. and I didnt want to wander down there to find no where to fish.

Then It was off to caswell creek. I fished the mouth for awhile, no bites.

I went to Sheep creek slough, Nada there as well.

So, next time Im bringing the boat..

BB Fishing at the mouth of the Parks hwy streams can be hit or miss! Better when they are covered over in ice, fish will concentrate at the confluence's where the water is deepest. If you truly want burbot, your best bet is to head north/northeast in the vast/many lakes.

I went to Sheep creek slough, Nada there as well.

So, next time Im bringing the boat..
    A raft is all you need for this location. Just some way to get over to the point on the upstream side of the slough. It is always the best spot for all species, not just bubot, but for salmon, rainbows, etc. Put your bait/hooks where the clear water mixes with the silty water.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast