Thread: Yamaha 80hp jet drive

Default Yamaha 80hp jet drive

I am thinking of repowering my boat with this engine. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about the engine? Right now I am at a toss up between the Mercury or the Yamaha. Appreciate any and all comments.

Joe

Are you going brand new or are you gonna try to find a used one? Also 2 stroke or 4?

New, 2 or 4 doesn't really matter. I do prefer a 4 but could use the weight savings of a 2. Well now I have all winter to decide.

Im likin the new e-tecs more and more... They are really efficient on gas, pretty light weight and have had good reviews. I installed them for a couple years and people seemed to really like the package. Immediate power...

I looked at e-tecs, to many people say they had to many electrical problems and no way to clear faults without taking it to a dealer or mechanic shop.

Joe,
    I had one on a 04 Wooldridge, motor was a 04 as well, had 100 hours on it. I thought it was a great unit, but I am partial to four strokes.
    The boat was a narrow bottom Alaskan, my best mileage was 4.6 GPH lightly loaded running 4400-4600.
    My worst was 6.4 GPH at 5200-5300 RPM, 3 guys, fuel and fishing gear ~ 1100 pounds. I sold the boat cause I wanted more capacity, but it was a great setup, IMO.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default been there

Ive got a f100 (prop) converted to jet on my 19' Lowe... Love it!
    I compared weight of big etec's to similar sized 4STRK... I think most were w/in 50 lbs. figure'd I could carry the extra lbs and save by not having to by 2STRK oil $$