Thread: 7MM-08 Powder recomendation?

Default 7MM-08 Powder recomendation?

I'm looking for some info on a good powder/primer recipe for a new round I'm starting to load (7MM-08). Anyone have any recomendations?

Talking

You can't hit anything anyway from what I've seen, but try a little cinnamon and garlic powder.

Default what grain of bullet(s)??

Varget and H4350 cover the bullet weight spectrums pretty well. I have had good luck using RL17 and RL19. 7-08 is not picky with primers, Fed 210's and WLR among other large rifle primers work fine.

This is an easy cartridge to load for, way above average in efficiency, and great brass lifee.

If you don't have a load book, check out the powder websites, they have some good data on 7-08 listing their powders and primer choices with the different weight range of bullets.

You will really like this cartridge. It's a winner!

I'm running 120gr bullets, Reloader-15 powder, and Federal 210's in my 7-08.

using the .308 class case, 4064 is hard to beat. i prefer the 140gr bullet with 43.8gr of imr 4064. in my rem700's (mountain & titanium) it is accurate and deadly.
    happy trails.
    jh

Tubbs had great success with this round and 4064. I believe he used 140 gr and 168's. Been a long time since I reloaded for it so I will have to check my records but I loaded 162 and 168gr bullets on a 700 HV barrel.

Talking Varget

I perfer Varget, but have I used R-17 w/ great results also. I use the Fed 210 primer .... The 7mm-08 as stated before is effcient & easy to load. Light recoil, accurate, good B.C. , just an all around great caliber in my opinion..

When I used to shoot my 7-08 alot more than I do now, I started off using 4350 but later switched to H414. Both seemed to give pretty good performance with a 120 Sierra. I don't think any of the deer or antelope I harvested with it knew the difference.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

For my wife's 7-08, I load a Barnes 160 gr TSX with 42.5 gr of IMR4831. I also load Barnes 140 gr TSX bullets with 40.5 gr of H4895. I use Federal BH210M primers and COAL is 2.775. This little rifle is a tack driver with those loads.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default cant beat RL19

RL19, 47.5gr, Nosler AB 160 grain

Default rl-17

I literally tried many of them behind 140 grain bullets. 4895, rl-19, rl-15, varget, w760, h4350, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting at the moment. However, shooting 140gr TSX bullets, I found Varget and RL-15 above average in my rifle, but RL-17 better. At speeds that I was seeing pressure signs to achieve with other powders, RL-17 provided equal speeds with no pressure signs. Shooting a compressed load of 50gr, I get great (MOA) accuracy and 3000fps from a 22" barrel, very little temperature variation, good SD and ES, and my brass is on it's sixth go-round. This load/rifle accounted for a full-curl Dall ram, a mountain goat, and a 58" moose this fall. I only recovered one bullet, and that one went diagonally through the moose before stopping under the hide. I'm literally done trying anything else, because there's almost nothing left to improve on!

Please note the the load mentioned is safe by all indications in my rifle, but may not be in yours. Going by the book and by the chronograph it's hot, so work up carefully.

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcherdaddy View Post
    I literally tried many of them behind 140 grain bullets. 4895, rl-19, rl-15, varget, w760, h4350, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting at the moment. However, shooting 140gr TSX bullets, I found Varget and RL-15 above average in my rifle, but RL-17 better. At speeds that I was seeing pressure signs to achieve with other powders, RL-17 provided equal speeds with no pressure signs. Shooting a compressed load of 50gr, I get great (MOA) accuracy and 3000fps from a 22" barrel, very little temperature variation, good SD and ES, and my brass is on it's sixth go-round. This load/rifle accounted for a full-curl Dall ram, a mountain goat, and a 58" moose this fall. I only recovered one bullet, and that one went diagonally through the moose before stopping under the hide. I'm literally done trying anything else, because there's almost nothing left to improve on!

Please note the the load mentioned is safe by all indications in my rifle, but may not be in yours. Going by the book and by the chronograph it's hot, so work up carefully.
    Thanks everyone for the info. I think I have some good loads for my Kimber 84m (22in barrel) shooting 140g TTSX

Default Rl-17

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcherdaddy View Post

Where do you find all of your RL-17 load data? None of my books have any, and there is only limited data on the Alliant website.

Default googled it!

I'm not sure how to make this into a clickable link but here's where I found it, using google. On this page you will find a link to a PDF document listing RL-17 load data.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...der-17-powder/

Hope that helps

Thumbs up My load

I have two 7mm-08's. This is my load.
    42.5 grains of varget with a 140 grain bullet. WLRM
    Reduce load to start..

Anyone use the Speer 145gr hotcore in their 7mm08? This seems like it would be a great bullet and weight for medium sized big game say 100-300lbs or so. The premium bullts have the place but this seems like a affordable great preforming bullet in the 7mm08.

Default I love speer bullets !!!

I have sent down range the Grand Slam & the boat tail w/ great results in the 7-08... I use the 160 gr mag tip to hunt bears up to 300 yards w/ great success also..

In my wife 7mm-08 I use RL-15 and 154gr hornady bullets with CCI 200 primers. Friends son shot his 1st moose with this rifle and load combo. It shoots great.

Default 7-08

I've been using H414 with the 140 TSX with great results. After reading about the R 17 I might have to give that a try myself since I have a unopened jug! 7-08 is a great round not just for kids and women either.