Thread: First ptarmies of the year!

Default First ptarmies of the year!

Went on an extended-long-weekend sheep hunt over Labor Day near Cantwell. After spending days flushing dozens and dozens of ptarmies, I couldn't take it any more. So on the way back to camp the last night in there, I took a couple opportunities and neck shot three birds for some of the best ptarmigan stew I've ever had. It's hard to beat fresh meat after days of mountain house (mutton would have been even better, but alas). I've got to get back up that way properly outfitted for birds sooner than later.

Heading down to the peninsula this weekend for some serious bird hunting. Hope to find some ptarmies in a couple areas I've been curious about. Good luck to anyone else getting out of the house this weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 04-15-2010 at 21:13.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Did you shoot them with that rifle?? or just kill em with the shock wave?? I hear cantwell is a real good area for birds.. Do you know the approx elevation of where you were finding the birds at?

See any sheep on that trip?

Thumbs up Taking the opportunities given...

Good birds! Good pic. And good trip after all, eh?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Did you shoot them with that rifle?? or just kill em with the shock wave?? I hear cantwell is a real good area for birds.. Do you know the approx elevation of where you were finding the birds at?
    I've had a lot of practice shooting birds with my rifle... used to kill several blue grouse every year hunting elk and deer.

All of the ptarmies we saw up there were at 3000 feet or higher. Most of the birds (including several covies of a couple dozen plus) were probably in the 3000 to 3300 range along the upper edges of the willows and in the smaller drainages. Saw others though up to 4000+ feet higher up in the rocks, but not nearly as many.

I've run into a few ptarmies down the Ken Pen working along the ridge lines in the 2500' elevation and up. But nothing I've seen has compared to the birds I saw up near Cantwell. I've GOT to get back up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    See any sheep on that trip?
    Saw a lot of sheep, but no legal rams. Got on one small band with some 3/4 and 7/8 rams, but that was it. Kind of what I expected given my time constraints, but I still had an awesome trip and learned a thing or two along the way. I had plans to get back farther into another drainage or two, but didn't make it do to some "partner limitations" I need not go into. haha Already can't wait until sheep season next year... but until then, I'll stay in shape chasing birds around.