Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game numbers up or down?

Default Game numbers up or down?

I was just wondering what other people were seeing this year as compared to passed years. Personnally, I hunted an area in unit 13 that I had not been to since the late 90's. I saw more moose this year than all the past years put together, and I was only able to hunt two days.

Default Props to wolf control and increased bear guiding in13

Numbers are increasing. I believe that its because of our state's predator control program and increased hunting seasons for bears.

They need to maintain this because unit 13 has been hit by predator numbers for several years. That and an increase in hunters shifting up to the Dalton Highway and Fairbanks Area for caribou and moose has worked to increase numbers of moose and caribou.

The Rabbit cycle is at the high end of the population cycle in much of 13. Wolves and Yotes are hitting rabbit warrens rather than fighting down moose.

Sheep numbers are still very low in 13D.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

From what I can see, looks like alot of forum members have done well this year, I would say increasing numbers too. hope its this good next year. I enjoy reading the stories and seeing the pics. Thanks.

Default I am starting to believe....

I was formerly a fence sitter on many aspects of predator control, but from what I have seen with my own eyes, I am starting to believe in its effectiveness.

While I was driving from Palmer towards Eureka first week of Sep, I observed more moose racks coming back than I have ever seen in my life. Talked to others that have witnessed the same thing. 4 out of every 5 or 6 rigs had a moose on it.

I did my moose hunting in an area stacked with bears, not Unit 13. I observed 3 to 4 bears for every moose I saw. I did not see one moose calf, in two and half weeks of hunting this unit. Managed two bulls between me and pardner, but I can just imagine what the hunting might be like if I wasn't hunting in a grizzly maze....Predator control works, and airplanes are the most effective way in acheiving desired objectives, period.

was in unit 13 for 35 days and saw 24 legal grizz and 20 non legal grizz and about a dozen bull moose and alot of good bull caribou,no wolves. but moose numbers are up from what i've seen in the past six years.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I agree. I think moose numbers are up around here also. Didn't see a lot of bulls, but lots of cows with calves. Somebody is knocking them up
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've moose hunted in unit 13 for the past 14 years. Over the past three years we've seen an explosion in the moose population. We've also had a real increase in the grizz population. One of my family members is closely involved in the state's predator control program. He's stated that he's seen an explosion in black bear populations in the areas that he's been doing wolf control.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

[QUOTE=J in AK;581855]

While I was driving from Palmer towards Eureka first week of Sep, I observed more moose racks coming back than I have ever seen in my life. Talked to others that have witnessed the same thing. 4 out of every 5 or 6 rigs had a moose on it.

I made the same drive the evening of the 4th and saw the same thing. Dad and I counted no less than 8 moose racks on the back of rigs.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default Interesting Observations

We spent 4 days up on the Denali hiway the (16th through the 19th of Sept.) and our impressions were about the opposite of what I'm reading here.
    We've hunted the Denali three of the last 4 years and while we did see more moose this year than any of the others it was a disappointment. 4 years ago over two days we saw 8 cows and one calf. Last year we didn't keep track but over 5 days we did see a good number of moose two of which were sublegal bulls. The encouraging parts of that trip was we saw a lot of others had success and it was rare that we saw a cow without a calf. This year we saw 26 moose two of which were sublegal bulls, 17 were cows, 6 were calves, and one was undetermined. Not a very good cow to calf ratio. Also we made a point of checking out rigs on the way up, as we traveled along, and on the way back from our trip. Only saw 4 confirmed moose kills.
    Another weird thing is that we hear a lot about all the bears in unit 13 and while the calf numbers sure point to heavy predation we've yet to see a bear or any sign of one along the Denali hiway. This after glassing literally hundreds of miles of countryside, and hiking and canoeing dozens of miles each year that we've been up there.
    Anyway our general impression of the area is that things may be improving but in all reality moose density is actually pretty low within a two mile corridor of the Denali.
    Caribou were way up over what we saw last year but that really doesn't mean much as their routes and timing vary a bit from year to year.
    Last note. This was the driest we've seen it up there and the warmest. No frost any of the days we were there. Still lots of leaves on the brush.
    Alaskankid's Dad

I agree with the statements above. Hunted in unit 13 for about 20 years now mostly off the Denali hwy. The amount of moose (bulls in particular) I see out hunting is MUCH higher than compared the late 90s. Also saw 12 grizz (all sows with cubs) while out hunting this year in about 9 days of hunting. In fact I rarely go out backpacking or hiking in 13 anymore without seeing sows with cubs anymore. I'm thinking predator control and antler restrictions leaving the tweener bulls to bread really helped the moose population. Glad to see the efforts are paying off.

I've hunted Unit 13 for moose two out of the last three years. Our camp has taken five moose on those two hunts. I have limited experience with the area, but there was far more moose sign this year than in 2007. I did not see as many moose because of the warm weather and full moon, but based on the amount of sign moose numbers were up a fair bit.

Our sheep area in the Brooks has been producing well. There are not a lot of sheep where we hunt, but as best I can tell we are the only people hunting them.

Ptarmigan numbers look good at this point in the Unalaska area!!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    was in unit 13 for 35 days and saw 24 legal grizz and 20 non legal grizz and about a dozen bull moose and alot of good bull caribou,no wolves. but moose numbers are up from what i've seen in the past six years.

I would agree with your assessment, I was in the area the entire summer, not hunting but took lots of short flights around the cabin and the moose are doing better, still not doing as well as they should be, but things are improving. Not surprised you didn't see any wolves, lets just say I believe the wolf numbers in most of 13 are WAY down (thanks to the aggressive pred. management program). Also, grizz numbers seem to be status quo, if not down a bit, and black bears always seem to be healthy...matter of fact, I might go try and find one or two of the *******s...!

Moose numbers in 13E are definitely up, predator control is/has worked!

I've lived/hunted this area since I was 13, a 'little' older now.
    Seen the many fluctuations since the early 60's.

Thru out the 90's and up until 2001, the 'efforts' of many to 'push', and get predator control to reverse the ongoing trend of 'disappearing moose',,, well I didn't think I would live to see the day when moose populations would grow.

Now an occasional moose in the yard, seen more two yr olds and cows with calfs this yr , than I've seen in a loong time.

Predator control works. I know some guys in Eastern Montana who have a large ranch. Beef and wheat prices go up and down and some years are good and others are bad. They had the idea to start an outfitting business on their ranch to supplement their income. Problem was that the deer numbers were very low, they figured due to coyotes since not many hunters in the area and the coyotes were thick. These two brothers started up a coyote hunting competition with the neighboring ranches (other ranches wanted a piece of their outfitting business). Males worth one point and females worth 2 points. The first couple of years they were shooting 50 to 60 coyotes each. After 3 years or so the deer numbers started increasing and they launched a successful outfitting business. I bet they make nearly as much off of deer hunting as they do ranching when prices are down. The sharp tail grouse population increased and even some pheasants and turkeys started showing up in the area. Now they are lucky to shoot 15 coyotes each year. I realize this has nothing to do with moose hunting, but when I think of predator control this story always comes to mind.

i didn't see any calves up in 13 this year at all....but i haven't for several years now
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR, with/without detail, would you let me know what 'area' this was in 13?

lol the part near the creek....with the alders in it...and that one lake with the rock at the end...right around there...
    Master guide 212

Default Plenty cow calf pairs along road

saw 4 pairs close to glenallen 1 pair by eureka 3 pair by paxson and 1 trio by mat glacier. looks to me like numbers are up. here is one picture of the last. and 2 sub legal bulls by sheep mt lodge
    Attached Images Attached Images

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol the part near the creek....with the alders in it...and that one lake with the rock at the end...right around there...
    We actually saw a cow w/ twins in this area this fall, and 2 other cows with single calves. First in a long time. We must be close to the same area BRWNBR

maybe sockeye, you right by the tree with the broken branch...and the divet in the ground from a small plane crashing!? lol
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast