Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koyukuk update?

Default Koyukuk update?

Has anybody made it back from the Koyukuk this year yet. Just wanting to live a little vicariously through others that were able to go as I was unable to this year.

Just got back yesterday. Had a great trip as everything ran well and only ticked off bottom once and it was my fault. Water was low but we drug a canoe to where we wanted to go. Killed two bulls. I shot a tasty 40" while my buddy shot a really nice 50" bull that we called to within 35 yards. Watching a big bull come to a call never gets old. We both got what we wanted. Saw a giant black bear that we couldn't get to in time and my partner took a shot at a wolf but couldn't connect. I was actually surprised he was able to get a shot off. We shipped 1400lbs of meat to Anchorage and it arrived in great condition!
    I have to thank Steve from Kenai. Met him at the bridge and followed him to just above Galena and the next day up the Koyukuk. Steve, I hope you and your wife had a great hunt.
    The bugs were absolutely nasty the first two days we where there. I have never been in bugs that bad, and I thought I had seen some bad bug days till this trip.
    All in all, a great trip, and already planning for next year.
    Troutbum, you planning to go next year?

Someday when I get a boat I shall return to my ole stompin grounds up there. Moose hunts up there are just one of a kind.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

JTM - Sounds like you had a good hunt - I haven't been up there in a couple years and miss that trip a lot. If you don't mind me asking who did you ship the meat out with, how much did they charge, and how did you get it to the airport? I have never gone that route and was curious about the logistics.

We had a great trip too, the bugs were heavy but we made it. We took two out both were 60'' bulls but had real heavy packs out of the bush.

The water was low in most of the normal areas but saw a lot of moose out there and several bulls.

Had no problems on the river and i tapped the sand bar twice and both were my fault as well..

Is it next year yet?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default Rambling

The Huntington's will rent a truck for a donation to the bible camp, or Vern at the gas station has a truck for rent. We took a fish tote to carry gear and then to ship meat. It works pretty sweet. Everts cargo charges about .25 or .29 a lb. They keep it in a cooler at the airport in Anchorage.

Just made it back tonight. Our group went 6 out of 7 for bulls with a couple of smaller animals being passed up or we could of easily went 7 for 7
    Biggest was 60 and smallest was about 36. Didnt really see anything huge this year. My son also shot a black bear in addition to his first bull. We had a chance at a wolf but passed as we had a bull answering the call at the same time. Also seen a lynx when cruisingt the river.

Water level was MUCH higher than the same time last year but still managed to add a couple of nice hits to the skag but the props remained relatively intact except for one boater who attempted to power off the mud and found a hidden rock.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Just got back yesterday. Had a great trip as everything ran well and only ticked off bottom once and it was my fault. Water was low but we drug a canoe to where we wanted to go. Killed two bulls. I shot a tasty 40" while my buddy shot a really nice 50" bull that we called to within 35 yards. Watching a big bull come to a call never gets old. We both got what we wanted. Saw a giant black bear that we couldn't get to in time and my partner took a shot at a wolf but couldn't connect. I was actually surprised he was able to get a shot off. We shipped 1400lbs of meat to Anchorage and it arrived in great condition!
    I have to thank Steve from Kenai. Met him at the bridge and followed him to just above Galena and the next day up the Koyukuk. Steve, I hope you and your wife had a great hunt.
    The bugs were absolutely nasty the first two days we where there. I have never been in bugs that bad, and I thought I had seen some bad bug days till this trip.
    All in all, a great trip, and already planning for next year.
    Troutbum, you planning to go next year?
    Yes, I definitely will be going next year. I purchased a new boat this year and the deal I made with the devil, I mean my wife, was that I would forgo a hunt this year and instead use that money towards the purchase of a boat. If you have any interest in running together next year let me know. My plan as of now is to hunt the last 12 days or so of the season.
    Congrats on your successful trip.

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    We had a great trip too, the bugs were heavy but we made it. We took two out both were 60'' bulls but had real heavy packs out of the bush.

The water was low in most of the normal areas but saw a lot of moose out there and several bulls.

Had no problems on the river and i tapped the sand bar twice and both were my fault as well..

Is it next year yet?
    Just curious, was this the boat (26' Hewescraft) that you ran?

Troutbum, we will be headed up again next year. And we were there plenty early, and even got home early. What did you get for a boat? We'll have to talk about this again when permits come out. One of these years we will have high water and get to some areas that haven't been touched in a few years.

AK Troutbum
    Yes we in a 26 hewescraft, the yellow one in my picture.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    AK Troutbum
    Yes we in a 26 hewescraft, the yellow one in my picture.
    Wow, I'm impressed. That's one comfy looking craft ya got there. I was amazed at the size of some of the boats I saw (and in some cases quite aways up little tribs to the Koyukuk) last year.

Smile what a trip...

My friend with the DM830 tag shot a 52' bull after getting confused and thinking he was shooting at the big bull he had seen a few minutes earlier. He is all man and a good hunter as was our other partner who passed on the big bull as he did not want to cut the antler of a moose that looked bigger then the 65 incher on his wall. My friend also passed on 2 bulls earlier in the trip. Thats hunting and we have no regrets. We had 2 days of snow and cold on the Koyukuk and more on the Yukon. Before that it was lots of bugs. Bumped 3 sandbars as the rivers were low and dropping. My 26' Hewes Craft Alaskan Sea Runner is not a river boat. Some how we never dinged a prop or hurt anything. About 40 miles from the Yukon Bridge we were in a snow storm and spun out on a hill. I was lucky and did not go in the ditch. Three other boats and trailers behind me did. I called dispatch in Fairbanks from my sat phone and had a wrecker pull my boat into Fairbanks. For some reason after 45 years in Alaska I forgot to bring my truck chains, what a rookie move. The truckers that waited for hours for the road to get cleared were all good natured. One of them pulled me about 50 yards to the top of the hill where there was flat ground and a pull over. He will be coming to Kenai for a halibut trip with us next summer. The wrecker arrive after a couple of hours and started pullin rigs out of the ditch. After 36 hours and fuel filter problems with the truck I pulled into Kenai at 10:30 on Saturday night. It only took 3 rock stars and a thermos of coffee to get me there. I could not have hunted with 2 better men. They are both tough, full of good humor and did not have a complaining bone in their body. This was my second Koyukuk trip and their first. I doubt it will be their last. I won't go again unless I travel with another boat, have lots of water in the rivers and bring my truck chains! It was a good successful trip and I am thankful I was able to do it again. Oh yeah, the moose was shot at about 80 yards with a Mod. 70 Win. in caliber .300 WSM. The 180 grain Barnes X bullet went in high behind the shoulder and passed through. The moose fell over and was dead when they got there. I don't know how that happened as the bullet obviously did not expend all it's energy in the animal if it passed through. Just kidding, we like "energy to spare". Time to start planning the next moose hunt.

Default what date did you come out?

We pulled off the Yukon on Friday the 25th to come south. What day did you come back? We hit some snow and ice, but not too bad. I slid once before I stuck the Ford in 4 wheel drive. The other truck carrying the most weight and pulling the biggest load slid, but made it ok too.
    AK Trout, any chance one of those big boats up a trib was mine? I still laugh thinking about the look on your faces when you were coming down in the skiff and came around a corner to see all 22' of me up there.
    I sure would like to try that route again with a rig like you had. That would be a blast!
    Not sure where I'll be in 2010. Might go back to the old traditional camp we were at this year, or might hit the Koyukuk again. I have a few ideas for that river and want to satisfy my curiosity.

Smile 25th

I started driving out on Friday the 25th at about 7:00 P.M. Wish I was 30 years younger.

Man you guys sound like you had one exciting trip on the river and off. Im hoping to do it next year still waiting to see if I get invited with another group on the forums. I think it will be a blast in my SJX. Show some pics.

338, couple of my buddies got stuck behind yall...the 6 hour run from coldfoot to fairbanks took them close to 13 hours LOL!

They mentioned some guy flying by everyone after the one rig was in the ditch dang near crashing into a semi? Sound like an interesting trip....ALMOST wish I was there for it !

Greg, if ya get an itch...let me know!

What a difference a day makes! We hit the bridge about 11 am on the 26th and it was smooth sailing the entire way back to Anchorage. Did encounter a little snow on the road but nothing to really slow us down.

Lesson learned on this trip: Never listen to all the internet rumors. People were telling us the water was at a 30 year low and that you could walk across the Koyukuk. In reality the water levels were much higher than last year. Could someone be spreading rumoros to discourage hunters? Gasp, (wink)
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    We pulled off the Yukon on Friday the 25th to come south. What day did you come back? We hit some snow and ice, but not too bad. I slid once before I stuck the Ford in 4 wheel drive. The other truck carrying the most weight and pulling the biggest load slid, but made it ok too.
    AK Trout, any chance one of those big boats up a trib was mine? I still laugh thinking about the look on your faces when you were coming down in the skiff and came around a corner to see all 22' of me up there.
    I sure would like to try that route again with a rig like you had. That would be a blast!
    Not sure where I'll be in 2010. Might go back to the old traditional camp we were at this year, or might hit the Koyukuk again. I have a few ideas for that river and want to satisfy my curiosity.
    Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the bigger ocean boats, but ya, you surprised the hell out me. I remember thinking, what's this guy doing up in my neck of the woods. Then as I got a little farther down the river I saw where you left me some fuel, so that made it o.k. That last joke probably not as funny considering you actually did get something lifted on the river. Did anything ever come of that?

Default I forgot...

When we started our journey down the Yukon River we were about 8 miles from the Yukon River Bridge when my friend spots a ewe walking on the beach on the right side of the river. That certainly surprised us. If they would start hanging out there I would become a sheep hunter! She will be lucky if she did not end up in some wolves belly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast