My brother and I were fortunate to draw Kodiak permits and harvest 2 goats, but not without a lot of challenges.
My brother who moved from Alaska 10 years ago, drew a party permit for Kodiak north road system with me. He lost 50 pounds since Febraury to go on this hunt & we planned it out meticulously.
We left early on Sunday Sept 13 from my home in Eagle River to take a our time driving to Homer to catch the Tustumena. We stopped along the way glassing for black bears, looking at salmon and had a great time. We arrived in Homer around 3p.m. & our ferry ride was scheduled for 10:30p.m. I drove down to the ferry terminal & they said it would be delayed a few hours. So we did a little shore fishing, caughta few Irish Lords & cod & headed back. This time they said it was broke & to come back in 12 hours for an update. We slept in the truck that night, went back Monday morning & found out that they weren't aking vehicles anymore, but might take foot passengers. So we grabbed our gear, as much as we could fit into our packs, our gun case & a cooler....we'd take a taxi to the mountains if we had to. So we head back to the terminal Monday afternoon, ready to go & the coast guard said no the Tustemena can't sail.
So now what do we do? My brother flew all the way up here, bought his tag, we spent 7 months planning this hunt & now we can't get there. Screw that. I called ERA aviation & bought two tickets out of Anchorage for early Tuesday morning...(ouch) So we jump back in the truck & head back to Anchorage....stop a long the way to buy a hard case for both our rifles... and
get home around 9p.m Monday night and tell my wife the damage...so far.
With 2 little ones I convince a friend to pick us up at 530 Tuesday morning & take us to the airport so my wife woulnd't have to do it. He drops us off and our plane takes off as scheduled arriving at 8:30 a.m. We arrive in Kodiak & being silver season they have no rental cars...however another friend of mine hooks us up & gives us a truck for the entire week...unbelievable!
So now were here & the hunting can begin...oh wait...it's Kodiak & the clouds are so low I can't see the harbor, much less the mountains.
We wait a few hours, visit John Crye at F&G, and the weather starts to clear. We begin our hike in to a location and it's starting to look up. We can see mounatins, no goats, but get bcak in there 3 hours & set up camp for the night. We even see 4 blacktail does, but no bucks.
It's raining pretty good, but we go to bed hoping the next day we can climb up over the mountain to find the goats. We have a plan.