Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Successful Kodiak Goat Hunt

Default Successful Kodiak Goat Hunt

My brother and I were fortunate to draw Kodiak permits and harvest 2 goats, but not without a lot of challenges.

My brother who moved from Alaska 10 years ago, drew a party permit for Kodiak north road system with me. He lost 50 pounds since Febraury to go on this hunt & we planned it out meticulously.

We left early on Sunday Sept 13 from my home in Eagle River to take a our time driving to Homer to catch the Tustumena. We stopped along the way glassing for black bears, looking at salmon and had a great time. We arrived in Homer around 3p.m. & our ferry ride was scheduled for 10:30p.m. I drove down to the ferry terminal & they said it would be delayed a few hours. So we did a little shore fishing, caughta few Irish Lords & cod & headed back. This time they said it was broke & to come back in 12 hours for an update. We slept in the truck that night, went back Monday morning & found out that they weren't aking vehicles anymore, but might take foot passengers. So we grabbed our gear, as much as we could fit into our packs, our gun case & a cooler....we'd take a taxi to the mountains if we had to. So we head back to the terminal Monday afternoon, ready to go & the coast guard said no the Tustemena can't sail.

So now what do we do? My brother flew all the way up here, bought his tag, we spent 7 months planning this hunt & now we can't get there. Screw that. I called ERA aviation & bought two tickets out of Anchorage for early Tuesday morning...(ouch) So we jump back in the truck & head back to Anchorage....stop a long the way to buy a hard case for both our rifles... and
    get home around 9p.m Monday night and tell my wife the damage...so far.

With 2 little ones I convince a friend to pick us up at 530 Tuesday morning & take us to the airport so my wife woulnd't have to do it. He drops us off and our plane takes off as scheduled arriving at 8:30 a.m. We arrive in Kodiak & being silver season they have no rental cars...however another friend of mine hooks us up & gives us a truck for the entire week...unbelievable!

So now were here & the hunting can begin...oh wait...it's Kodiak & the clouds are so low I can't see the harbor, much less the mountains.

We wait a few hours, visit John Crye at F&G, and the weather starts to clear. We begin our hike in to a location and it's starting to look up. We can see mounatins, no goats, but get bcak in there 3 hours & set up camp for the night. We even see 4 blacktail does, but no bucks.

It's raining pretty good, but we go to bed hoping the next day we can climb up over the mountain to find the goats. We have a plan.

camp.jpg

Default Goat hunt

Well about 300 in the morning...mother nature hits us with all her fury....50 mph winds...rain filling in the tent...and I'm wondering if we should have packed in a raft.

Needless to say, we didnt move from the tent until 1p.m. the next day. At that point I decided that the need to pee was too great & it was now or never. I got out of the tent & decided that it was not a good idea to be here anymore, so we packed up as quickly as we could & hiked out 3 hours to our vehicle. Lesson learned....out of all the equipment I upgraded this year, without a good tent, it's doesn't make a difference. All of our gear was soaked including our sleeping bags because the rain was getting in. So we battled the winds, the rain & the fog & hiked the trail out we came in on. I admit, in weather like that, it's usually best to sit it out, but being so close to town & having a good idea of where we were going we made it back to the truck with little problem.

We dried out, including our gear & waited to see what the next day would bring.

Thursday morning wasn't too bad. We got up, & the weather had broken & we could see the mountains a little at a time as the clouds moved through. We decided to drive to a different part on the road system & spotted a goat from the road. We then picked our best path, through the alders & started in. With all the rain, the creeks were so high it made it difficult to cross, so we kept heading up this valley, looking for a way across. After 3 hours of hiking, we decided enough is enough & made our way across the creek. We took off our boots and socks, pulled out pants to our knees & crossed over...brrrrrrrrr......again on the other side we put pur dry socks & boots back on & continued. I spotted 4 goats in a bowl a mile off, so we headed in that direction. After 2 more hours of breaking through alders we wer'e finally at the base of the mountain.

Default continued...

We set up camp real fast, glassed the goats & decided to go for it. The weather wasn't getting any better & the clouds were moving in making it hard to see again. We started up the face of the mountain, down wind of the goats & heade up. About half way up, 9 more goats headed over the top & joined the other 4. We made it to the top an hour later & snuck our way up the backside of the mountain in the clouds & slowly peaked over the top. The clouds cleared & 100 yards away, my goat was feeding in the open. To it's right were 9 goats laying down on the cliffs.

We looked them over for a few minutes, with the clouds obscuring our vision of them from time to time & decided we'd shoot. We both picked out our goats & we doubled up. Still can't believe it.

We head to my goat, cut it up, take the whole hide & load my pack up. I head down the mountain to drop my pack off & then head up to him to help clean his. However, what I didn't see from the top is I'm surrounded by cliffs. To make a long story short, I took my pack off because I could tell I was slipping with all the weight & wet grass/rocks. My pack then tumbled down the mountain & destroyed the packframe.

My brother was able to fix it up the next day, but I had to carry the 100+pounds only on my shoulders..the waist belt was useless. We got out of there late Friday evening after hiking all day through the alders, but I can't think of a better hunting trip....even as miserable as it was. I got to spend it with my brother a week before his 40th birthday and it's a memory that will last us a lifetime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More photos

More goat photos...

Default Weather

Of course Saturday cleared up for a day. It was beautiful on Kodiak, which gave us time to do a little fishing before heading home. We caught several nice silvers & a few good dollies.

Thumbs up Congrats!!!

Way to keep at it. Hunting in Alaska always has its challenges. Many will fold at the first...second...third road block. You and your brother were persistent and it payed off!

Awesome!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Thank you to Forum members

One last thing. I never could have been successful on this trip if it wasn't for the kindness of others I've met on this site. Forum members Blackfoot & Akflyfisher, not to mention my friend who hooked me up with a vehicle on Kodiak. Thank you for helping me out. I wasn't that concerned about getting a goat, but I really wanted to get one for my brother. Opportunties like this, to spend time hunting with my brother is very rare & to be successful this time makes it even more special.

Thank you!

Awesome man, congrats to both of you. After doing my southwest road system hunt last year, I've been thinking about putting in for the party permit with my brother to try and get him a goat now.

I think we'll just catch a flight straight to Kodiak and reserve a rental car though.

Default hunting pants

Guy,
    What kind of pants are you wearing in your pics? (brown ones) They look like Mammut Champs??

Brian at DHS&EM (next to Tony)

Default Sporthill

3SP sporthill pants. They did great...I took them sheep hunting & goat hunting this year. Only pants I had on me. The blocked the wind & dried out quickly too. I definietly suggest getting a pair. The ones I'm wearing with the cargo pockets & pocket zippers were great, but can be a little spendy.

Default Perseverence Paid Off

Congrats on your and your brother's successful hunt. There were quite a few spots there were you two could have called it off and most folks wouldn't have felt bad about the decision---but you both persevered and were committed to getting out there and making most of the time together and it paid off big time.

Great write up and photos--with all you two went thru it makes the harvest that much more meaningful and memorable.

Great hunt report. Looks like all your effort and sticking with it paid off. Way to go on two well earned goats. I hope we do as well as you guys when myself and my buddies had down that way here in a week. Thanks for the great hunt report and pics. Congrats.

Thumbs up

Way to push through all those roadblocks and make the hunt happen!

Thumbs up Great story

Great story. Good to hear in spite of all the major setbacks you guys perservered and had a successful hunt. Congratulations to you both! Almost inspires me to try another Kodiak goat hunt again. Sounds like one of those trips you'll remember for the rest of your lives.

Great thread,
    I enjoyed the photos.

Nothing like hunting with a Brother/Family, makes it 'sweeter'.

Congrats on the earned 'rewards' !

Default Tent

So have you stopped in Barney's yet to order you Hilleberg? :-)
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default The sweet taste of success!

Way go go. The challenge got tough and you guys got tougher. All the difficulties are the unforseen obstacles that most lower 48 hunters don't deal with. Alaska is like a grind stone, it depends on what you're made of whethersharpens you up, or grinds you down. I've seen some guys cash it in when the going gets too tough.

Way to pull it out. Great looking goats!

Default Hilleberg

Blackfoot,

After spending time in your tent, I think a Hilleberg tent will be one of my offseason purchases this winter. No comparison....I kept telling my brother how great your tent was when we had 50 mph winds & rain beating the tent down on our faces.

Thanks for all the remarks. I've had hunts with my brother (plenty) where we've been unsuccessful in harvesting animals, but they're still really good memories. This one is just like icing on the cake. Hunting with my brother with all the obstacles & being successful too. It doesn't get any better!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Blackfoot,

After spending time in your tent, I think a Hilleberg tent will be one of my offseason purchases this winter.
    There's an off season? I thought we would be chasing coyotes and lynx this winter.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Irish, congrats to you and your brother
    goats are the greatest animal to hunt, at 60 hope i have another hunt ...or 2 for them left in me. Need to drop 30-35 lbs and probably get my knee fixed first .. My goal for the next year.
    Thanx for the great story and photos
    again congrats.......sounds like you are hooked on these as well. Another couple items to get if you don't have long handled mtn axe and 6 point crampons both worth their weight in gold.

Later pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast