Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't believe its over!

Default Can't believe its over!

Where did the time go? As many units have closed down, I am at awe at how quickly this season has terminated. Another season under my belt, another winter to look forward to and thoughts and dreams of next year fulfill my head.

Here's a great venue to think ahead on, NEXT SEASON!

What would you do differently as opposed to this year? Plan more, get into better shape, buy that gear that will make it possible, save some money for that fly-in remote experience? Let's hear what you've got on the back burner in terms of some pre-season planning....
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

It ain't over yet.........

Spend some time this Oct and Nov taking the grandson out for his first huntiing exeriences. Even though for bunnies thats one thing. The other thing will be to be at the work bench this winter working on a couple of rifled actions and loads..

Default RE: Next Year!

I had a nice wreck on the wheeler this year coming out of sheep country. I faired ok, but still have some aches or battle scars. I have a few things that did not fair so well. My wheeler needs repairs, my rifle now shoots 2' low and about the same to the right. I am hoping my barrel is not bent I am not cool with that. But, I am looking to build a custom rifle this winter, so, in a way, I guess the timing is perfect.

I was a lucky man, for my big 40th B-Day, my wife bought me some Sitka gear (the 90% Jacket, Pants & the raingear too)!

I do need to pick up on the exercise regime, for my health is not what it was. Two back surguries & a bi-lateral knee repair takes alot out of a guy. I am so looking forward to next August!

Waiting for more stats to come out before I make the educated decision on what units to apply for, TMA, Delt Junc, Ect. Heck, I need to think and have time to spare now. Just need to cut some more wood & I am ready for the cold snap.
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

I had little to no time to prepare or plan anything, my wife and I had a son born on Aug. 25th, and I work a 2 and 2 schedule, so I wasn't able to put anything together. I did get some moose hunting in, but was unsuccessful. So my plan next year is going to involve a lot more planning, scouting, and research. I am going to put in for some drawing permits, something I have never done, and I want to train for the hunting season a lot harder since I am planning on my first sheep hunt, and also a moose hunt.

I actually know where to go moose hunting and have a chance at killing something!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I'm with Akhunter45 - the season isn't over! Yeah, some things are closed down, but there are still bears to chase (and even moose/caribou/goat if you know where to go). I'll be bear hunting this weekend, and then my focus will shift to small game. Once the snow hits and the calendar progresses a bit, it'll be time to do some predator hunting. I'm hoping to figure this calling thing out this winter and maybe spend some time with my nephew chasing ptarmigan and hares on snowshoes. That'll keep me in shape until spring, when it'll be time for bears again. The season never really ends, folks...and staying in shape is way easier when you keep at it all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm with Akhunter45 - the season isn't over! Yeah, some things are closed down, but there are still bears to chase (and even moose/caribou/goat if you know where to go). I'll be bear hunting this weekend, and then my focus will shift to small game. Once the snow hits and the calendar progresses a bit, it'll be time to do some predator hunting. I'm hoping to figure this calling thing out this winter and maybe spend some time with my nephew chasing ptarmigan and hares on snowshoes. That'll keep me in shape until spring, when it'll be time for bears again. The season never really ends, folks...and staying in shape is way easier when you keep at it all year long.
    Well said Brian. The seasons may come and go, but it's always hunting season for something. I'll be looking for bear and ptarmies this weekend. And I'm already looking forward to dusting off the snowshoes. I'd rather stay in shape by staying in the mountains all year than worry about getting back into shape next spring.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I can agree to that! My intent for "it's over" was the majority of the unit closures for moose & sheep. I too intend on concentrating on those predators in the future. It will a great time to bond with my boys and share some good old quality time together. The big plus, taking out a few more calf munchers.

We had a good fall and managed to take two sheep and three moose on the first two and three days of their respective seasons. While it is good to be successful it is nice to spend a little more time in the woods too. Unfortunately the Aleutians are pretty limited for small game, bears and predators. Right now I am just trying to do a lot of shooting and load development and am looking forward to some decent ptarmigan hunting later in the year. It would be nice to have bears to chase around, but that is not an option out here.

Default Never over!

Still game to be killed, even through the winter! Just stay quiet on this site about it.

Thumbs up

I'd continue to get in better shape. We had a GREAT summer in Alaska and I learned a lot this summer. Fun all around.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Like Brian and AKHUNTER I still have quite a bit of hunting left. Kodiak goats and deer first part of October. Help my mom try and bag a Delta cow moose middle of October. Continue hiking in the Kenai mnts with the wife to try and fill her caribou permit. Looking like another trip back to Kodiak first part of Novemeber with the wife to flying to the south end of the island for registration goat and deer hunting. (Didn't think that was gonna happen, but we made a deal that if I don't buy a airplane then I get to splurge on flight outs and still probably $$$ ahead anyways) Man I love my wife!!!

That said even with all that hunting to go if I didn't get to go anymore I was blessed with another successful season. Got in on a black bear, shot a caribou, help my pops bag a mountain goat, got in on watching 3 moose fall this season, and most of all getting to spend A LOT of time in the beautiful AK outdoors which is really what its all about anyways for me the rest is icing on the cake.

Like Brian said, hunting season never really stops, just the animals we chase change. And yes staying in shape year round does help at lot when it comes to chasing black bears on the hillsides all over again in May.

As far as new toys to buy for next season. We'll a polaris 6X6 is on the top of my list. Just bought a Glock 20 10mm. Buying a spray skirt for my pack raft over the winter. Sure there is more to buy, but can't think of it right now.

Good luck to everyone next season.

It is NEVER over..........

When I'm done here, it's the Happy Hunting Grounds for me......anything else would be Hell.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

My Kodiak deer hunting partner wanted to go again this year. We have a great spot down there where we killed four bucks in 2007, but I just put 500 pounds of moose meat in the freezers. With the sheep, salmon, scallops, and prawns that were already in there it would have been irresponsible for me to tip over anymore big game this year.

hmm..what would I do differently.

lets see, not park my truck where knuckle heads will run into it on the first day of MY moose hunt... (and no no note, no nothing and of course they were gone, thankful for insurance!)

maybe hunt more...if I can afford too.

Find a partner, someone whose as into as I am...bowhunter preferred...doesnt need to kill, doesnt have a kill list, but is a diehard lets go at the drop of a hat and not stop till we've gotta be at work attitude!

Organize some gear this winter....divorces will do that! Living out of rubbermaids STINKS! And maybe get rid of stuff I havent worn since I was a teenager..shew. Yup I'm a packrat when it comes to hunting/fishing garb.

Stop judging things for face value...afterall there must be hidden agendas somewhere right? pfft haha! And maybe stop lurking/posting on here so much...it doesnt do much good anyways (lynch mobs are on the prowl)! though it's nice to see the hunt photo's and stories from those who do things the right way!

peace out!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    hmm..what would I do differently.
    Maybe be less cynical and try to have some fun?

you can only beat on someone for so long before fun packs its bags and leaves.....! now that would be cynical

Default Still more

It's been great for me. Lots of good fishing in Yakutat this summer, Killed a cow moose on a draw hunt, and was with my dad and daughters when he killed a bull. Got to watch my 8 year old son puke after he figured out why I wouldn't let him poke a hole in the gut sack until after I was done with everything. Now with a freezer full of meat, I am heading back to Yakutat Wednesday for Silver Salmon. Man, I love this place. And oh yeah, can't forget about Caribou this winter. And even with all that, they pay us to live here.

I held on until the bitter end and still struck out. I guess that's what I get for hunting in antler restricted areas.

When I get back to Aleutian Hell, brown bear season will be getting started and I've got a boat ride to one islands to whack a wild cow, so I won't being going meatless this winter.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast