Thread: Thru hull transducer

Default Thru hull transducer

I don't like thinking about cutting a hole in a boat but I am considering a thru hull transducer on a 24' Sea Ark. I want my sonar to work all the time and have been putting up with intermittent sonar for too long. Anyone else done this with a boat they use for running the big rivers? Would love to hear what you think and if you would do it again. I'm sure this thread has been here before, but I thought I would ask again.
    Also, who would you take the boat to for the work?

At the boat shop I've seen many transducer holes that had to be welded back up after the owner decided the thru-hull unit wasn't all it cracked up to be. I don't recall any times where someone came in wanting a thru-hull added to their boat after the fact. So I guess nearly all of them were home installed.

You have to be absolutely sure that the location you pick for the thru-hull is going to work. Usually you can't be 100% sure of how well a location is until you have run the boat through its paces with the transducer installed there. You can't do any trial-and-error placement with a thru-hull.

Personally, I've found that transom mounts seem to be the best balance between reliability and ease of maintenance. When properly placed, they work very well. Hull design has a lot of influence on that. As does the type of water you're running. Even with a thru-hull, you're going to lose contact periodically when running a river due to turbulence. If you put a thru-hull too far forward, you can end up with even more inturuptions when you're traveling on step. The closer to the transom you can get, the better it will work.

I've also seen decent results with the glue down transducers. Same performance as a thru-hull without cutting the hole. You must carefully go through the proper prep and install steps to make them stick and stay.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up

i have a buddy who has a "shoot thur the hull" one it came out of MN......on a X-shallow...he's out huntin so i can't say anymore...i do know it worked GREAT for over 600 miles at speeds in/to the mid 30's last year!. my new set ups going to have one!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have a transom mount raymarine transducer, and I can stay locked on the bottom at speeds of up to 24 knots and depths upt o about 450 feet. Faster and deeper I lose the lock, but it seems to work pretty good. It took a bit of adjusting to get it just right though. The other thing to watch for on the through-hull is you are limited in its placement by how the boat sits on the trailer.

Shoot through the aluminum, don't put a hole in your boat!

Music Man, I remember you being in on this thread before. Thanks for the links. I will experiment with looking through the aluminum before anything. Even drilling a hole in the floor braces makes me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Music Man, I remember you being in on this thread before. Thanks for the links. I will experiment with looking through the aluminum before anything. Even drilling a hole in the floor braces makes me cringe.
    That is why I looked into it and I am now a happy camper as I don't have to worry about the depthfinder not working(or broken off) after I scrape a sand bar or go over some logs.