Thread: Sea Ducks oct, nov, dec

Default Sea Ducks oct, nov, dec

Gonna be returning from a 5 month deployment in october and was thinking about trying our some sea duck hunting down around the whittier/seward area. I went in Boston once and shot some eiders, scoters, and oldsquaw and would like to try it again. I am fairly experienced with puddle ducks but only been hunting sea ducks once. Any specialized equipment I would need? What are some tactics and areas I would be looking for if I wanted to give this a whirl? Any and all advice would be great. I really want to get a nice drake harlequin for the wall.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Raptor_1 call me at 255-9775 I will make sure you have any info or equipement you need. 255-9775. And come home safe, look forward to talking to you.

I'll try to give you a ring when I get back....not able to readily use a phone right now

Copy that-- you will likely need a boat to access some areas out of town, about 2 dozen golden eye deeks would be great but atleast a dozen and maybe a dozen blue bills you would want to be able to set them up on a long line. not to omuch in the way of special equpement. I have not hunted whittier but some on here have. have you boated out of either on eof these places?

I have not boated out of either place. That's why I was asking the questions first. I don't want to go down there blind without a plan. I got some buddies that have never hunted sea ducks and they thought it sounded like a good time too so I was gonna try to get a plan together when we get back and try it out. Keeps the season going longer when the lakes and rivers freeze up.

I've only been out for ducks on the salt once, but we had goldeneye decoying in to 4 or 5 mallard dekes longlined off the rock pile we were sitting on. A few even turned with some mallard quacks! Probably won't work for the sea ducks, but the divers are a separate limit, so why not? They make pretty good sausage too

Just an FYI, as a lot of people are not aware - Goldeneye are not considered part of the "Seaduck" limit. They fall under Puddlers :P

As far as quipment, get any sort of duck decoy out in the area where Scoters are flying and they decoy to anything....

I was thinking about painting some of my mallard dekes white and black and trying that out........thoughts?

If you do a good job painting them like golden eye they should work well, but not as good as magnum GE deeks. Yo could paint them like Blue bills as well with some decent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I was thinking about painting some of my mallard dekes white and black and trying that out........thoughts?

Well, what kind of seaducks do you want to target specifically?

If your going to target scoters, paint your decoys like a scoter.....Goldeneyes will decoy to them as well......As will Harlequin....

I did a little bit of hunting out of Seward last year. Used about a dozen golden eye decoys. Ducks were scarce. I had a few Harelquin's (sp) fly into the edge of the spread but to far out to shoot. Even had an eagle take a decoy out of the spread and drop it once it felt the weight.

If you end up heading down to Seward send me a PM and I will head out with you. I have a 22ft alumaweld. I have not seen any ducks on the water yet but the weather has been pretty mild.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Well, what kind of seaducks do you want to target specifically?

If your going to target scoters, paint your decoys like a scoter.....Goldeneyes will decoy to them as well......As will Harlequin....
    I guess I'm after a nice drake harlequin for the wall but I'll take anything. After a 5 month deployment I just wanna bust some ducks. Prolly be getting pretty close to freeze up when I get back so I though I would try some sea ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I guess I'm after a nice drake harlequin for the wall but I'll take anything. After a 5 month deployment I just wanna bust some ducks. Prolly be getting pretty close to freeze up when I get back so I though I would try some sea ducks.

Most sea-ducks arn't too picky. You could pretty much throw painted milk jugs out and they would come in.

My suggestion - Get some cheap mallard decoys, some black krylon paint, and some acrylic paint, and go crazy. Surf Scoters are easy to paint, and its cheap. Makes it easy to re-touch em for future uses as well.

Harlequin really like the rocky mouths of creeks where it dumps into coves. Coves, and the points around them are also good for Harlequin. Goldeneyes tend to hang out in coves and rocky beaches as well....

For Scoters try to find mussel beds, and their fly-ways between them and their roosting areas.

If you need anymore help, feel free to ask.

Is there anywhere I could go and scout from? It would suck to make a trip down there with all the gear and not know where to go.

I've never hunted that area so I haven't a clue....sorry!

that's cool man, I'll stop by there on my way down there next week. I'm gonna hit up the kenai and do some fishing. I'll stop by whittier and seward and see what I can see