Thread: 2010 Caribou

Default 2010 Caribou

Thinking of a drop camp hunt with my 11 year old son next fall, looking for suggestions where and when. Hope to get him his first big game animal.
    Paul

Well it depends on how much time, such as how long to be out of school, and money you have. The Mulchtna herd out of Anchorage, Soldotna, etc is way down in numbers and hunting is doable but may not be successful. Going up north to the western arctic herd would offer better chances of success but requires more time and extra cost. If time is short, I would (and do) go out to the Mulchatna herd with my daughter and just go for it. This year we were not successful for caribou, probably somewhat weather related, but she got her first wolf. I would go mid Sept if possible, more chance for the caribou to be moving.

You can also get 40 Mile Air to fly you in for caribou and hunt the 40 mile herd. Some big bulls killed by their clients. Bill does this every year too so his advice is spot on. Please take a bear out if you get a chance too!

Default I think that the

40 mile herd is going to see some serious changes by next year. What is happening up there is ridiculous at best. We have our first advisory meeting of the fall and I expect it to be rather heated with what happened this year.

Northway,

Please keep me informed as to when your fist meeting is so I can attend.....Vern

Mike, care to share what happened during the 40 Mile hunt? Doesn't sound good.....

Smile Go to unit 23

This year we flew with Northwestern Aviation out of Kotzebue Our group of 4 hunts had a very good hunt - 5 caribou and 1 moose. Saw bears but did not have tag.

PM me if you want further details.

txhornhunter
    What was the flyout rates, went to their website, it did not show anything, looking for a flyout next year

Default Try Bettles

We avoided the hassle of Kotzebue and flew out of Bettles. Hunted the eastern edge of unit 23 the first week of September. Saw 1200 caribou during the week. I took two good bulls and my non-resident partner took a nice double shovel.

I have nothing but great things to say about Brooks Range Aviation and would definately fly with them again. Talked to other hunters in Bettles who flew out with Bettles Air and were very pleased with their operation as well.

Kotz and Bettles are fairly comparible dollar wise. Bettles will run you a few hundred more in the end but definately has its benefits over Kotz.

I inquired into flying out for caribou with 40 mile Air. They got back to me on the first day they were accepting new clients and were already full. So if you want to fly with them start talking to them early.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the responses. Leave time is not an issue, dont have a money tree but cash is'nt a huge issue either I just want to be able to get some game in front of my son even if he does'nt pull the trigger so he wont lose interest, we're new to Alaska hunting and dad has'nt been able to get him any looks yet.
    Paul

If you got the time and money for a fly out hunt, I would second Bettles. Especially for a father son hunt. Smaller town, easier to get around. More hunter friendly.
    Kotz has lost some good players, transporters and rental providers. Expect it will be harder to get services there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks M/T.
    Paul

We've flown out of Happy Valley with Deltana Outfitters now twice. Happy Valley is about 100 miles south of Deadhorse so you can drive up. Its a great road trip as well.

Anyway, they have been excellant and prices are pretty fair. I would go back with them in a heart beat as they are a first rate operation. PM me is you want more info.

Default options

I have flown out of Kotz several times with Northwestern aviation and they are TERRIFIC.... I have also done a father (daughter) hunt with deltana... if your son is 11 you will likely run into school timing issues... you'll want to hunt kotz in September and by then the schools are back in session already...

you can successfully hunt a north slope bou with Deltana in August.... I would make the drive to happy valley and try that one... otherwise its at least a week out of school right when they go back...??

Greg

Default Got to Kotz

Ram Air
    Northern Air Trophy

Thanks for all the input. Will probably takethe advice and go out of Happy valley.
    Paul