Thread: FMA Bull/Cow Ratio

Default FMA Bull/Cow Ratio

After reading some other posts by forum members I decided to throw this out there just for conversation sake. I'm done hunting for the year because I have to leave town tomorrow for a few days.

I've been hunting the FMA since high school....and no, I'm not in college now I've killed 7 moose in the FMA, some years I hunted other species around the state and didn't hunt much around town. That being said, I grew up here and have hunted around town a lot and I know where to look for moose.

I have seen more cows with and without calves this year than I have in a while. I think the most my wife and I saw in one morning was 12 or 13, can't remember exactly. But I have only seen one bull twice, once opening day and few days again after that. I know that they gave out more cow permits this year...in fact with the new regs you could shoot cows with and without calves or calves with cows.

Does anyone actually know the bull/cow ratio in the FMA now? Is it that far out of wack that they are allowing cows to be shot with calves on an anterless tag?

I dont think it's the out of whack they are trying to deal with. Instead they are trying to deal with moose vechicle collisions, and problem moose in peoples yards.

I havent seen anywhere near the animals we've seen in years past. And I do know two 'charities' that are on the call list and usually get a fair number of moose calls, brought it up to one of them and they mentioned the numbers are way down also, of road kill calls.

Default Lots of Bulls...

I've been out probably 18 of the 24 days we could be hunting and I've only seen 3 cows the whole time. Lots of bulls, and lots of different bulls. Even before the season I saw a lot of moose, and a lot of them were bulls. Might just be the area I'm in.

I can't do much stalking, so have to hope I'm set up in the right place at the right time to get something. Missed one shot (thought he was at 40 and used my 50 yard pin) and had another one coming to the call and get spooked by another hunter just before I got a shot. Was out for several hours tonight calling and giving it my best. Didn't see anything until I got home after dark and there was a bull in my yard in the flood light!!! Still trying though and will be till the very last day!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Default Saw more moose the last few days

Well I got out every morning for the last week of the season, and I finally saw some moose in the FMA. This is an area I've been hunting for a while now still feel that there was less moose around. I ended up missing a yearling bull at 45yrds, he turned as I released ;o( I saw some other cows and calves too. What I am seeing a lot of is other hunters. Used to have the place to myself, don't mind sharing, but the moose sure were skitish, I couldn't get near them and they would not respond to calling. The bulls would respond to scrapping, but just scrap back. Then every hunter in ear shot showed up, so never knew I was there and thought I was a bull. It was a frustrating moose season for sure, but i had a blast and did get a Black bear this fall, so I'm not meatless.

Better luck to us all next year.

steve

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i don't know guys i still see moose in all the same spots i have seen them every year. i think the cows catch on quicker then the guys do when things start killing them off, i think that a cow is march harder to stalk then any bull that has romance on his mind. we have three in the yard today just outside the FMA.

a few of the gathering points this year have gone under construction of late and that may have a significant difference in the relocating them .. or pushed them out of the boundary for a period of time...

but i doubt we will see any long term declines in suburban moose populations. they have or soon figure out that bar a month or so of the year... they are predator free zones that are safe to calf in ....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

dunno Vince, even finding a solo cow was pretty easy for awhile, right up till I drew my first tag...the group I hang out with, of which not all of us are bowhunters, most just live in the fma, have noted the same thing, less road kills, less moose sightings, and less bull sightings over all. I might have to do with the areas we hunt and live in...but in general it seems to be the same report acrossed the boards...

If you have a good area I wouldnt be saying a word!

I helped a buddy get his cow this morning...saw plenty of them. Like I said...NO problem seeing cows this year.......just bulls have been hard to find

hu i saw the opposite this year i usually never see bulls in fma but this year i shot mine on the 1st saw 2 the next day and 2 last weekend on the river

Default I screwed with the ratio

Better run the ratios again. As of yesterday afternoon, there is one less cow in the FMA. If they give me more drawing tags, I will work on getting the ratio back to where it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
    better run the ratios again. As of yesterday afternoon, there is one less cow in the fma. If they give me more drawing tags, i will work on getting the ratio back to where it needs to be.
    lol.....