Thread: Anyone care to...

Default Anyone care to...

recommend some good goose callers? Personal preferences & what not...

I used a spent shotgun shell, with a hole burnt in the middle & it seemed it was woefully inadequate...

Default spent shotgun shell

When you use it blowing into it is only half the battle, you have to get it just right and then use your hands as well to help it cluck. I am sure some of the older guys in the village can help tune you in. I was taught by one of my Yupik buddies and now I am OK, but he is AWESOME on it. Practice makes perfect though, doesn't matter what call you use.

I have yet to find a good cackler call that I can blow better than a shotgun shell.

shotgun shell for a goose call? explain!

Default Ok...the Shotgun shell goose caller:

explained, for those novices, greenhorns, & cheechakos... :P

You take one spent 2 3/4" or 3" shotgun shell, use lighter to dullen the edge of the open part of shell (melt the plastic, just a tad, to "round" it out, for use when you cover this hole) then along the side wall of the shell, near the middle part of the shell (just a lil' above the metal & below the opening) you burn a hole about 3/4 of the way into the shell, & it makes a nice lil' "flute".

Hold the shell below your mouth, cover the open end, either with your thumb, or the meaty part of the palm of your hand below the thumb, & blow over/into the hole that you made with your lighter, & try to find the right tune & then vary the rythm to equal that of the speckled bellies you're trying to mimic.

It's pretty darned close to the real thing, but it's not a very loud whistle.

There's another way that I learned this week as well, where you cut the shell in different places, but didn't witness this process only heard & saw the end product.

I guess I just needed another hunter with me to help me "answer" my calls when I was calling for them.

Pretty neat stuff you learn when you're observing those in the know.