Thread: Anyone every cooked a skate or a ray?

Default Anyone every cooked a skate or a ray?

We were fishing in Florida once and picked up a small ray - not a sting ray, it didn't have the barb on the tail, just a plain looking little brown ray. He was hooked deep in the throat and bleeding, so we took him home and filleted out one of the wings and skinned it and tossed it on the grill. We were having shrimp, too, so we tried dipping the ray meat in butter and, holy cow, the stuff tasted like lobster!

Anyway, I've never kept a skate I caught in Alaska, but now I'm wondering if anyone else has and if they tried cooking it up. If so, let me know how it was. We always tossed them back in the Bering Sea, and I sort of wish we'd kept at least one and given it a try.

By the way, I talked to one of the owners of a scallop boat in Kodiak who told me that they don't make scallops out of skates. He said that's a myth that people keep alive for some reason. If the meat in a skate looks like the meat in a ray, there's no way anyone would think it was a scallop if it was cut in a round shape, not with all the nerves and veins you find in a ray's meat.

Back when I lived on the Mississippi Gulf coast lots of people kept sting rays then skinned them and used cookie cutters or a knife to cut them up like scallops. They look different but taste the same Down south they call 'em "po mans scallops", enjoy.

http://www.garbagefish.com/recipesskatemain.htm

I have kept them, eaten them and enjoyed them. You should gut them as soon as you kill them or urea can build up in the meat like sharks. Follow the link above and you will find recipes and a how to video on cleaning them.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    http://www.garbagefish.com/recipesskatemain.htm

I have kept them, eaten them and enjoyed them. You should gut them as soon as you kill them or urea can build up in the meat like sharks. Follow the link above and you will find recipes and a how to video on cleaning them.
    Wow, thanks for that link. That's awesome. I can't wait for next summer to be here, unless you can catch skates from shore during the winter. Does anyone know if there are skates in, say, Passage Canal or Resurrection Bay that you can reach from shore? I assume they'll hit on squid, maybe herring. (I guess I'll post a thread in the fishing forum...)

Also, does anyone know if the fillets will freeze well? I don't see why not, as long as the fish is bled and cleaned soon after catching it.

Default skates and rays

we go flounder giggin in the summer down at the outerbanks in nc, we gigg as many rays as possible because they taste better than a flounder and have no bones,
    if you have a dehydrator you can dry skates and rays like you do salmond, just skin them before you dry them, if you like dried fish you will love rays and skates, we call it ray jerky, in korea you can buy from street vendors dried skates