Thread: 4 days to kill a wolf

Default 4 days to kill a wolf

I am leaving Alaska (not by choice) in December. I get 4 days off in early October and this is my last hunting trip up here for several years. I have decided to try and kill a wolf. I have a .223, no calls and am willing to hike, hike, and hike!!! What are my odds and with my equipment what tactic to you guys suggest to try and bag one. There is a creek I hunt along from time to time for rabbits and about every time I am there I see new wolf tracks. I have thought about just sitting on a knoll that gives me good visibility for quite a ways and seeing if I can get lucky. I could buy a rabbit call and try it if you guys think it will help. Let me know what you guys think. Just to get the point across. I am not asking for spots, just honest opinions of my chances.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Delta Junction AK

I'm not an expert but wolves have such a big range that I think it would be hit or miss to just try to spot and stalk.

I'd either find a wolf kill and hope they come back or use a call. You can pick a diaphram call up pretty reasonable. Works sometimes and you might drag in a coyote or fox too.

I always carry a call in my pocket just in case. You will want to have one, any one of them will likely work even if it is just to stop one before it gets outta range. Sorta hard to set out to kill a wolf, most of my encounters have been "right place, right time" opportunities. I am however 2 for 2 on Wolf opps. this Fall As far as honest opinions of you chances go, you certainly wont find one if you dont go. Finding a carcass will up your odds considerably. Good luck!

Default Wolf hunt

For what it is worth:
    Heard from several moose hunters this year that GMU 12 was the place to go for wolves. Howls heard every night and at least one wolf shot during mid-day off a gut pile. Also, definite lack of prey (moose, rabbits, ptarmigan, etc.) noted in the areas they were moose hunting. Good luck!

NorthWest Alaska

You need little esle, equipment wise....... camping grear, good clothes good food and A .223 is fine.
    Call 'em your self. Try to sound like a lonsome dog youve heard, and try some long howles. You will be suprised.
    Get into some sorta cover with they will come to check you out.
    stop howling when you see them, and shoot them when they are close and start to hesitated. Shoot the furthest one back and you might get three or four if your quick.
    After shooting I often run for about 5 minutes in the direction that the others ran, and start howling again. They howl to keep in contact and I have had them come again...~~LOL!!~~ What fun!!

No food, no wolves. They move on, or die, but if you see tracks, you just might connect!
    Whatever you do, good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default The spot

If you can travel up towards Fairbanks I'll tell you exactly where a pack has been hanging for years. On the Salcha river, south side, between the Richardson and the pipeline. Generally between the river and the hills to the south. They definately travel much farther as winter comes on but that's where they were as of 3 weeks ago and hang during moose hunting season. I'll be chasing them all winter on my R&R's. Good size pack and I would like to see them thinned.

Come one, come all.
    Life is's alot tougher if you're stupid.