Thread: Winter Jacket Recommendations

Default Winter Jacket Recommendations

I am sure this has been asked before but just in case it hasn't.

New to AK, moved here last winter (OCT 08) and now am living in Glennallen. Experienced -30 last winter in Chugiak with my East Coast Jacket (LL BEAN parka) and did okay with that. I know that in Glennallen I am to expect -50 and maybe -60 so I wanted something a lil' bit warmer than the LL Bean jacket I now own.

Mostly will use the Jacket for hiking /hunting /and just basic everyday survival. Kinda looking for the ultimate utility do everything winter jacket.

And while you guys are at it, maybe throw in some winter pants, gloves, hats, etc recommendations.

Layers, layers, layers. You shouldn't be looking for a single, super heavy jacket that will work to -50F. By the way, when it gets that cold, recreational hiking is out of the question regardless of gear. Go inside and stay by the fire.

The real key is layering things up. An inner wicking layer of poly or silk or whatever you fancy next to the skin. Then go with polarfleece. For really cold, go with a couple or three layers of polarfleece. The more air gaps you put in, the warmer you'll be. Then pick your outer garment based on your activity, wind, and moisture level.

There are so many jackets/coats to choose from, it's hard for me to recommend any one item. I have at least a half dozen different sets of winter gear to cover many different activities and temperature ranges. The common item of all is that there are layers of polarfleece between me and the coat.

Also, probably just as, if not more important than the coat is the hat, gloves, and boots. These are the areas that get cold first. The torso is the last thing to cool off.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I agree w/ what JOAT has said for the most part. I like a good big mit w/ a quality liner. A lot of times I will wear a light glove inside of them so that I can pull my hands out of the mit and get sometimes up to a minute or more of actual use from them before they start to not work! For a base layer I prefer merino wool, not scratchy and VERY warm.

For just going outside in extreme temps to do quick things it is hard to beat a big puffy jacket like those offered by mountain hardwear or the north face as well as several others. I love layers for extended time outside but sometimes you just want a big warm puffy George Konstanza jacket.

Snow Goose makes a phenominal winter parka. Change the coyote out for some wolverine and you're in :-)

Check out the Snow Mantra......or the Resolute.

tm

I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally got a good down parka a couple years ago. Actually the eduction came about when I was ice climbing, my partner started the climb so I was standing around belaying him, temp was -10 with a good breeze, it was cold!!!

Down parkas are quite light for the warmth they provide, and can typically be stuffed in a pack easily. When you're taking a break to eat, take pictures or whatever you pull the parka out of your pack and pull that hood over your head.

I picked up a Marmot 8000M parka, best yet I found it used by like new for 1/2 what they cost new. It's overkill if I'm active and temps are above zero, but when it's cold or I'm standing around it can't be beat.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well being new up here.... if people look at you funny and ask what will you wear when it gets cold out? you will prolly be warm....

if they laugh and snicker at your atire.... or just shake there head at you.... well might aught to re think some of it....

i wear an unlined arctic cat coat all winter. fleece and snow pants.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Layers

Layers are best but my favorite coat for cold stuff, be it walking around middle of winter or late Sept sheep hunts is the DAS Parka from Patagonia. I bought one new on clearance last year for less than $100. Awesome synthetic parka.

Try Cabelas Trans Anorak. Awesome winter parka, has windstopper, lot's of pockets, nice hood and coyote rough, big enough to layer underneath with a fleece jacket. Probably half a dozen of my friends have them and love them. Reasonable price for a great winter parka. I live in Fairbanks and spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter including snowmachining. Did I say this was a great jacket? Ha.

Also try Cabelas winstopper fleece pants. Wear some silky long underwear and some fleece pants under them and your good to go at 50 below.

Like others have said, you must dress in layers. Don't by one huge parka - you need to be able to shed layers if you have to exert yourself while working on whatever....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

I have a North Face Nuptse jacket. It keeps me pretty warm. When I lived in Fairbanks, I would generally wear a few layers as suggested above and never had a problem staying warm. Generally if it is -50 or colder, most people don't spend a lot of time outside, so keep that in mind. There are some other parkas that are similar and warm. Another thing to keep in mind is to get it sized right. Bigger than you need can accommodate more layers underneath, but if it is too big, it will be drafty and cold. My North Face jacket can also be zipped into the gore-tex shell as a liner for a super warm coat. Combine that with a polar fleece and you'll have a hard time getting cold.

Thumbs up Buy Locally..Apocalypse Design

I have only heard bc i havent yet bought anything from them but if your in Fairbanks try going to Apocalypse design. This is the company that many mushers in the Yukon Quest and Iditarod wear. I have brought things in for them to repair and although expensive it was a high quality job. I will be buying a parka from them in the future. I understand that they are on the high end of price but i like to support locally and dont mind if its a great quality product. Oh by the way i have no affiliation with them. Good luck layer up and keep warm

Default Winter Jacket

I got an Outdoor Research Megaplume last winter. It treated me pretty well. Looks like they don't make it this year. They have a Virtuoso, which is similar, 650+ down. They have good customer service as well. Good luck shopping.

Default And the winner is.........

Cabela's Trans-Alaska Anorak!!! The price is right, free shipping, and besides if it works for all those people out on the Iditarod Trail it can't be that shabby. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I checked them all out. My head was spinning for awhile with all the good choices. It was tough to pass up a puffy George Costanza jacket but in the end it all came down to dollars and sense. $199 dollars for a winter jacket is a good deal in my book.

I will layer as everyone suggested.......best advice of all probably. Thanks again.

When doing winter ops in the Marines or when hunting in the Colorado mts in winter (had temps drop only just below zero in both instances), I haver found that the insulated long underwear or insulated jacket liners work for me better than one or two additional layers of poly/wool when sitting in the cold for long periods. Has anyone else found the same thing?

I usually will put on the smart wool thin layers top and bottom; then a medium layer of smart wool top and bottom; then synthetic-insulated long underwear top and bottom; then either a down or synthetic insulated jacket hooded jacket liner. And then I would put outer shell pants and jacket over all that. Mind you, if I start moving around, I have to shed a the insulated stuff and put in my pack, but it's pretty light and packable.

I can't seem to put on enough layers of fleece to make of for at least one layer of insulated tops and bottoms when sitting in the cold for long periods.