Thread: recommend put in/take out for matanuska overnighter?

Default recommend put in/take out for matanuska overnighter?

Want to do an easy day float, or 1 night. How about safe parking too.

Paradise (Alaska)

Default Matanuska floats responce in six days???

While it has been several years since I last floated the Matanuska River, here are two options for you.

1) A one day float... from Hicks Creek to Chickaloon. Its all flat glacial water. Your vehicle is safe at Chickaloon if parked near the bar or service station across from Nova River Runners.

2) Two days and one night...There is a bridge across the Matanuska River downstream from the Lionshead class IV section. The dirt road heading down to the bridge is near the Rifle or Long Rifle (?) bar or lodge, in the area of the Matanuska Glacier State Recreation Site.

Sleep/camp anywhere on the many sand bars throughout this braided glacial river section. I would bring along fresh water, but driftwood was always available for a roaring fire.

End the float at Chickaloon.

It has been several years since I did these floats, so verify legal river access at those put-ins prior to making firm plans.

Hope this helps by giving you a place to start your planning...hopefully a rafter with more current information will contribute about the put-ins at Hicks Creek and the bridge near Rifle/Long Rifle (?).