Thread: To fog, or not to fog

Question To fog, or not to fog

For 4 stroke out boards. Who does, and who doesn't? I don't. Is that a bad thing? Do inboards get fogged? If not, why not. Just trying to find the reality of this.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Thumbs up

I fog the inboard and the out board hanging off the back with myrval mystery oil, as the last of the antifreeze runs through...The combination of smells is the sure mark of the end of the season...The oil through the carb coats everything all the way through.

2 stoke or 4, it is a good idea to fog them. The cylinder walls will form rust whether it is 2 or 4, does not matter which. I don't do it to my sleds for the summer, but I do start them every couple of weeks to keep things lubed in the motors. The boat, will sit for months without getting started. Big difference.

I run a real rich 2 stroke mixture. This helps with the fuel pump impellers(fuel injected) from getting dry. Coats everything real nice with a film of oil including the injector nozzles.

I also start my sleds every coule of weeks during the summer.

Default Fog & a Good Idea

Years ago I bought some Evenrude 2 stroke Fog and ever since I fog what ever I have, now days it 2 Honda 4 strokes and my Volvo Inboard. Was thinking about buying some more because I think it an excellent thing to do, but Spinner's idea is just as good I think. Run some rich 2 stroke gas thru them.
    I rigged up a Honda connection on my main tanks so I could just plug in my 3 gallon Honda tank in to the inboard line. Thought having that connection was good if I ever run out on the outboard tank. Shame to have 40 gallons of fuel you can't get to.
    Believe I'll do the lawn mover, pressurewasher & generator too.
    Those cylinders left untreated can rust, I always pulled the plugs and gave it a shot, air under pressure forms water to.

I won't. I'll change the oil, add a preservative additive, run it for a few minutes to circulate the fresh oil, and once cool will spray some preservative oil into the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Remove battery. Cover until spring arrives. (Fuel injected 4-stroke outboard)

I used to fog 2-strokes using fogging oil and spraying into the carbs of a running engine. These days the E-tecs have an on-board pre-storage program that does it automatically.

Here's a product that may interest some of you. Its marketed primarily for aircraft engines because they're expensive and are subjected to corrosion more than most engines. It'll work in any piston engine. Test results are on the site. This stuff costs about $20 a pint but you use one pint per 10 qts of oil. That means adding it to my Yamaha will cost $5. I can live with that. Reeve Airmotive at Merrill Field stocks it.
    http://www.aslcamguard.com/

Some four stroke motors depending on the make will have a thing that looks like a air nozzle on a tire, this will be near the carburetors or on the fuel supply rail for fuel injection... And most fogging oil cans now come with the threaded end that screws right onto these.. Fogging oil is definitely a good thing to do to your motor as it is a good lubricant. If it is carburated, treat the fuel with conditioner, then run the motor with the air box off so that you can see the front of the carbs and shoot fogging oil right into each of them, and making sure that they get equal amounts...

Here's a link to Yamaha's manuals. My F60 manual says to flush the cooling system and fog the motor. Hmm. Maybe I'll follow the manufacturer's storage instructions for once. What a concept!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...px?ls=outboard

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Some four stroke motors depending on the make will have a thing that looks like a air nozzle on a tire, this will be near the carburetors or on the fuel supply rail for fuel injection... And most fogging oil cans now come with the threaded end that screws right onto these.. Fogging oil is definitely a good thing to do to your motor as it is a good lubricant. If it is carburated, treat the fuel with conditioner, then run the motor with the air box off so that you can see the front of the carbs and shoot fogging oil right into each of them, and making sure that they get equal amounts...
    Yup, it looks exactly like a Schrader valve on my 2004 Johnson 175 hp 2-stroke, and my OMC Fogging Oil can screws right onto it, flip the tiny lever up, and squirt away. Have done this every end-of-season for the motors.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

In Juneau I don't fog , but the boat gets used and may only sit for 3 mo at the longest. Then I make sure to turn it over once or twice a month. But we have freeze thaw cycles down here.

If I were up north where it doesn't get above freezing then I'd fog.

Sobie2

Default Old vs new cylinder walls

Do the new cylinders (90's and up) have 'electrofused' cylinder walls, the kind that can't be honed or bored? The inboards I believe do not, they can be honed and bored, correct? If they can be bored or honed that would mean they can rusts.

Either way, it's a boat you must take better care of it than any other machine besides a plane, if it dies on the water the walk back is very wet.

I’ve never fogged a motor and have owned both 2 and 4 strokes over the years, never had any problems. As for my current boat with 06 carbonated 4 stroke Honda I make sure the fuel tanks are topped off, pull the fuel line and run motor tell she dies than drain any additional fuel out of the carbs. In the spring I put two cans of SeaFoam in each tank and change out the fuel filter. I always turn over the motor a few time to lubricate things before pumping up the fuel bulb, and I squirt the first few ounces of fuel in a jar to insure fresh clean fuel will be going to the motor.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Is there a difference

Are 2 stroke and 4 stroke fogging oils the same?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

ya they are the same

I understand how to fog a motor but does the fog oil need to be removed from the cylinders before the motor is used again? And if so, how is it removed?

Just turn the key, start her up! It smokes a bit at first, but it's all good to go.

It may do some damage to your plugs but just have extras on hand after starting with fogging oil.. Your good to go if it runs good