Thread: 358 win blr

Default 358 win blr

I own a 358 BLR for years that I just plink with. My real hunting rifle is a 375 H&H MAG.
    I am tired of toting it around thru the woods as it felld like my old US Army M60 I was forced to carry a while. I would like to start using the 358 on my Moose and Interior Grizzly hunts. my question is, do you think this is enough gun if I use the 225 nosler partitions and do not shoot beyond 100 yards?
    Sorry if this is a tedious question. Bob
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Default Absolutely Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    I own a 358 BLR for years that I just plink with. My real hunting rifle is a 375 H&H MAG.
    I am tired of toting it around thru the woods as it felld like my old US Army M60 I was forced to carry a while. I would like to start using the 358 on my Moose and Interior Grizzly hunts. my question is, do you think this is enough gun if I use the 225 nosler partitions and do not shoot beyond 100 yards?
    The 358 is a great cartridge in so many ways and well matched to the BLR. There is an ongoing post (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=63974) about using a 358 this season by one of the forum members and you may find it encouraging as you are contemplating the same thing. The 225 Partitions are great bullets and by keeping your range reasonable, say inside 200 yards, it will perform admirably on critters of all sizes. You can use it with confidence and from the sound of your post more comfortably than your other rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    The 358 is a great cartridge in so many ways and well matched to the BLR. There is an ongoing post (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=63974) about using a 358 this season by one of the forum members and you may find it encouraging as you are contemplating the same thing. The 225 Partitions are great bullets and by keeping your range reasonable, say inside 200 yards, it will perform admirably on critters of all sizes. You can use it with confidence and from the sound of your post more comfortably than your other rifles.
    What he said, 358 Winchester in a BLR is a very good choice for Alaska.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    I have one and im extremely fond of it as many here prob. know. I grew up carrying a model 94 30-30 which kind of affected what I like to carry today. Lightweight carbines just make sense.....I've never liked heavy rifles or any rifle much over 40 inches of length.....and you my fellow rifleman have learned this lesson by having to carry a large/heavy rifle for too long. The perfect scope for a BLR is a 1.5-6 or a 1.75-5 straight tubed scope, or small objective scope. I've shot bou and moose with my 358 BLR. Last season I dropped a young bull moose with one shot....by the time I had shucked the lever.......he was just about ready to go down....so didnt have to put # 2 in him. That bullet did cause some serious meat damage though (hornady 200 grain spirepoint) so your choice for a 225 grain partition is a good one......even better....i would go with a 250 grain speer hot-cor......perfect "do all" bullet for the 358 IMO.

Smile Great cartridge

I really love this cartridge and it fills the bill for Alaska in my mind for many animals. I own one in a older Ruger M77 with an 18" barrel, what a handy gun! I would also agree in the lower powered scopes for this type of set up. Mine wears a Leupold 1.75-6 power. Everyone I talk to speaks highly of the .358 win's accuracy. I still love my .375 though, I guess it's kind of like women.

Default Weight

Thanks for the responses. I like the feel and light weiGht of the BLR compared to my crew=served 375 Mag. I have plenty of 225 grain noslers to load. My tendency is to like to be overgunned in most situations.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.