View Poll Results: Which one should I use?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester model 70 270

66 78.57%
  • Marlin 1895XLR 45-70

5 5.95%
  • Mathews Drenalin LD bow

13 15.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilemna, what to use.....

Default Dilemna, what to use.....

I've been contemplating which weapon to take on my goat hunt next week so I thought i'd get some opinions on the matter.

1. Winchester model 70 270 shooting 150gr Federal Premium Vital Shok Nosler Partitions. It wears a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x40 and has been coated with Black T and sits in a factory synthetic Featherweight stock painted gray with black webbing. Most of you already know I managed to put a ram and a fair sized moose on the ground using this rifle and both with 1 shot. It's taken a good number of animals for me and is my favorite hunting rifle.

2. Marlin 1895 XLR 45-70 with WWG's Ghost ring rear sight, Bearproof ejector, Williams front red Fire Sight with vented nickel hood and likes Garrett 420 gr Hammerhead boolits. I've never killed anything with it and i'm sure it would do a number on a nice billy.

3. Mathews Drenalin LD bow with Limbdriver rest, Spott Hogg 6 pin micro-adjust sight, 8 ounce B-Stinger on 8" inch shaft and I shoot Victory V-Force V-1 arrows with FOBS and Grizz Trick broadheads. Since I managed to put the sneak on a couple of dall rams on my sheep hunt, i'm reptty confident about getting close enough. My longest effective range would be 40 yards. I haven't killed anything with this either and a goat would be a terrific first animal.

So that's my dilemna, which one do I use to take my first billy?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    1. Winchester model 70 270 shooting 150gr Federal Premium Vital Shok Nosler Partitions. It wears a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10x40 and has been coated with Black T and sits in a factory synthetic Featherweight stock painted gray with black webbing. Most of you already know I managed to put a ram and a fair sized moose on the ground using this rifle and both with 1 shot. It's taken a good number of animals for me and is my favorite hunting rifle.
    That's my vote - it is your favorite, it has range, and, you are comfortable and adept with it.

The 45-70 is overkill, and, you might eventually want to take a goat with your bow, but, I'd try sneaking up on them with the .270 for practice.... I think you'll find getting within 40 yards is trickier than it is with sheep. At least thats how they've been to me. Though, in the spring I have accidentally walked right into a mess of them while they were down in the timber - that was a long time ago, and not during hunting season.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Don't take the bow!

How well do you shoot the Marlin? I used my Guide Gun successfully on moose this year and it was a joy to use. I have Ashley Ghost Ring sights on mine and limit myself to 150 yards with it. I shoot this rifle a lot and feel proficient with it, but out at 150 and beyond I get the occasional wild shot that would result in a miss or wounded animal.

That leaves the 270. I would use it since you are comfortable with it. Would be cool to take a goat, moose and sheep in one year with the same rifle.

Just my $0.02.

I don't shoot the Marlin on a regular basis but do feel comfortable with it. I didn't give range much thought but yeah, I think 150-200 yards would be my max with it. The 270, I feel good out to about 400 yards but even that's a bit far for me. The closer the better IMO. I also agree, taking 3-4 animals all with the same rifle would be more old school. The bow is losing ground.............for now.

Default You Know...

You know this already, take the one that you can shoot the best.

I wish I had your problem, maybe some day. I love hunting with my bow, but all my guided hunts I always took my trusty rifle first. 2nd time around then try the mathews. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    ...I always took my trusty rifle first. 2nd time around then try the mathews. Good luck!

That's worth repeating a few times here I think.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Looks like I'm odd man out in the pole since I voted 45-70.
    Great compromise between long range killing machine & sneaking & peeking.
    It will make you feel like you worked for it, but give you a bit of range.
    If I were going I'd be grabbing my GG in 450. BUT, it does have a Burris scout scope along with XS ghost rings.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default It's your call, but

It's your decision, but since it's your first goat I should think that the 270 is the best choice of the three weapons you mentioned to successfully harvest an animal. Nothing wrong with the 45/70 or using the Mathews if that's what floats your boat, but it is hard to make a case that either the 45/70 or bow are as 'good' of a choice in this situation. Let us know what you take and how the hunt goes. Best wishes to you.

Talking

I believe all the 270 votes are from Yankee fans

Show off...Take the 270.
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Default Take the old stand by

.270! Make sure you get the goat to add to your harvest this year! You might need the "extra" range on the goat. Good luck!

Default Weapon

How bad do you want to kill a goat? Not something you'll regret, take the bow. If you'll be disapointed to come home empty handed, take the .270. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanman View Post
    Show off...Take the 270.
    Show off?? Look at your avatar brotha..........now who's showing off??

Seems that the 270 is getting a lot of votes and I was leaning towards taking that, just wanted to hear what others thoughts might be. I do need to get another BC scope cover for the front of my scope, when I fell on my sheep hunt I mashed the cover pretty good and now it won't flip open.

The only goat I've taken was at long range. I'd go with the .270, seems like a perfect goat slayer to me.

Always remember: It doesn't matter what you miss them with.

Take the bow.

Smile bow...

Take the bow, you won't have as much to carry on the way back.

Without a doubt, the .270. If you've killed plenty of goats and were looking for a new chalange, I might say the bow. Neve been goat hunting, but I'd imagine that there would be the potential for some long shots which would be handled much better by the .270 then the 45-70.

If on the other hand, you want to make things more challenging, pick one of the other two, but since you said you've never taken a billy, I'd stack the odds in my favor as much as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by KClark View Post
    Always remember: It doesn't matter what you miss them with.
    That's a good signature line.

Default Same here...

Good luck on your goat hunt!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast