Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for gun mounting options on scandic

Default Looking for gun mounting options on scandic

Just got an 1993 scandic for the cabin project and looking for different ways to make a gun case attachment. I have an extra gun boot so want to use that. Ideas?
    "One Last Cast"

http://www.kolpin.eu/?pag=gun_boots&...IV_BRACKET_&lc=

This is what I put on my AC. It bolts right to the rack, and you can position it however you like. I used some self adhesive velcro for the nose of the boot to the tunnel, which does not work that great but my leg keeps it from moving around when riding. You could always bungee it or something.

Default different options

A few guys I know use some PVC pipe and mount it to their hood so the stock of the gun sticks out right by your leg, and then bungie it in.

I carry two soft sided scabards that I attach right to the side of the tunnel, and then tighten the back down on the rack. Works well and keeps them safe if you tip or roll since they are inside your legs. I don't like the mount on the side of the rack if you are travling in trees.

Default On my...

Skandic I have a soft sided scabbard. However on my Renegade I use a hard case Kolpin, but not set up like most:

This has been the best for me, as the inner sleeve pulls out, put the gun in, and slide in. I bungee the gun (just to make sure it doesn't fall out when I'm not paying attention, however it never has come close). Having that sleever prevents any snow from making it to my scope (if i have on on whichever gun I'm using). Plus the hard side takes any beating from going through the bushes.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

with the rack on that sled, use a gun boat and a shortened rachet strap. It worked well on my 93. Now I got a 2010 Tundra, and have no clue what I am going to do. The rack is way diff.

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    Just got an 1993 scandic for the cabin project and looking for different ways to make a gun case attachment. I have an extra gun boot so want to use that. Ideas?
    It would help if you posted a pic of the sled from the side so we can see what you currently have to work with.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

fk 107 is out of state right now. I was looking for a pick to post of the sled. I had the same one that died last year. Any ideas on a gun mount for a 2010 Tundra sport?

My buddy TH and I had to two up this beaver trappin day, but this is the same sled fk107 has. I need to take the strap I used over to him, because it works very well. That rack was great, a little smal, but nice. the rack on the new tundra is diff. Just one horizontal bar. Not sure where the gun boot is going. I do like ak22 idea though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

diff rack, any ideas? The skandic rack was perfect, cause the "bolt bump" fit perfect between the top and middle bar of the rack. Rachet strap.............perfect. This one only has one bar, no where to cinch up the rachet strap. I messed up and told the other half I was gonna pop a couple rivets into the cowling, and add attach for a gun boot, and she wasn't to stoked. I would normally just do it, but after scrapin up $7400, the look in her eye kind of scared me. So ideas?

Sorry Kuips I highjacked your thread..........................I got a fix to your problem though!

Wow, haven't seen a Skandic like that in years, they get used up too quick out here.

An aluminum strap riveted right in front of your buds Mickey Mouse would hold the nose of the gunboot, with the rear cinched down on the rear rack, or another aluminum strap riveted to the rack in the shape of a "U". Use thicker aluminum so it can be bent together at the top for tightness. You could use an aluminum strap over the top on the rear, secured with a pin-on-cable so at the end of the day, pull the pin, swivel the strap out of the way, and take the boot indoors.

By placing the boot on the rear of the machine, it is far less likely to get hung up on branches. There is a couple here in Bethel that have two boots mounted on the back of the fellows Ski-Doo. It looks kewl, like the old Cadillacs with fins.

For that Tundra, you have to fab up a bracket to rivet to the tunnel and the one bar on the rack. Same idea though.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I like the idea thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Sorry Kuips I highjacked your thread..........................I got a fix to your problem though!
    Way to jack my thread...I suppose its ok since you helped me come up with a plan. I used the rachet strap trick and it works fine. Rode around awhile before I went to PA and it was good. That sled rules....for a 93! I'll get some pics up
    "One Last Cast"

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    Way to jack my thread...I suppose its ok since you helped me come up with a plan. I used the rachet strap trick and it works fine. Rode around awhile before I went to PA and it was good. That sled rules....for a 93! I'll get some pics up
    When we going out?

Default Gun Mounting

I fabricated this for the Tundra-did something similiar for a Polaris I had. I use the Kolpin Gun Boot.

I don't really like the idea of my rifle being attached to my sled. I can't help but think how much it would suck to be 50-60 miles out and lose it all into a river. I carry mine in an Eberlestock X1 Pack, which I wear pretty much all of the time. That pack also makes my rifle readily accessible in an instant if I need it.

Default Depends

I would say that after riding many miles with them attached both ways I would prefer the scabbards. I can take mine out just as fast and I know it won't have any snow on it. Also being able to move more freely is a major advantage. However I will say that having the ability to get off your machine and walk with the gun still on your back is a plus.

Default I ride with mine on my back

but you could easily put the nose of the scabbard down on your running board, use a large hose clamp to hold it to your rack. I even had a hole drilled into the side of my tunnel so I could run hose clamp around the nose of it. I suggest this as the best method because your gun boot will break with the regular holders over time. If you keep it anchored in fairly tight, you will have less chance of it breaking.

I too have a new 550 tundra. I live in a wolf positioning area so quick access to a gun is critical for me when working a pack. I am still a bit stumped with how to mount my scabbard. I am one of the guys Fish 222 knows who had a PVC tube on my old scanik but I am leary to mount too much on those fancy new 3 piece engine covers as they probably aren't as strong being three pieces rather than one. If you come up with an idea that works please let me know as I am really searching on this one. One thought is to rivet some plummers strap around the scabbard down by the running board on the tunnel which will pretty much make it a permanent part of my machine. I have no problem doing this as it is going to be tricked out solely for trapping and wolf hunting. They other though is I want to put some type of sturdy vertical attachment mid way down both sides of the rack so things aren't so apt to slide out. I have already installed two eye bolts on each running board towarsd the rear for bungie attachments. I do this on every machine I own.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default Been awhile...

... but I thought I'd show how I mounted a scabbard to my old Sport:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast