Thread: Maclaren River or Susitna

Default Maclaren River or Susitna

Does anyone have any information on Float hunting the Maclaren river from the lodge to the Susitna, Such as time time, Game abundance or lack of. Also looking for someone that has been down the Susitna past Devils Canyon

Default Devil's Canyon

Dude, Devil's canyon with a moose in the raft would be extreme even with
    the drop in water that happens in September.

I guess that people decide to do desperate things. However, this wouldn't
    be on my bucket list.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default Good luck

Good luck finding anyone who has floated Devil's Canyon because there are probably only a couple who have survived it. Definitely not something to do with anything other than a professional whitewater rafter and a death wish. Throw a moose in there and I think they could legally charge you for wanton-waste because it won't make it down, at least not in the boat.

You could float down to the Su and get flown out though which may be a good option if you have the means.

Outside of actual waterfalls such as Niagra, Devil's Canyon is the ONLY Class VI whitewater in North America. The rapids on the Big Su start at Watana Canyon which about 15 miles of Class IV water. There's a lull near the confluence of Fog Creek which is the LAST take out. If you push past that point you enter Devils Canyon and it's 200-300 vertical cliff walls. There is no escape and you are committed to 20 miles of non-stop Class IV & V water, massive hydraulics and 20 foot standing waves. This culminates in the Class VI section which is genuinely deadly water.

Check out the book Fast & Cold by Andy Embick for a turn by turn description of this run.

The Maclaren is floatable but has a 8 mile boulder-garden/Class III section of it's own. The best option for a Maclaren float would be to get picked up at the Mac/Su confluence or float down to the mouth of the Tyone and get picked up there by plane or jet boat.

Default Devils Canyon = Death

No one has ever rafted down Devils canyon and lived. Insain!

There are a few clips on You Tube of the Canyon, but none but Kayaks and they look pretty crazy..Been discussed here before: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=461180

Default Jerry Jacques

Retired Master Guide Jerry Jacques ran it in a raft in low water during the Mid 1980's.

I think that there is a video someplace of one of the Mahay's who look a jet boat up it and knocked out all of his upper teeth.

Embick made the first recorded descent in a Kayak.

It is not a happy river. Bremner River might be the only river that could be more MDK than Devil's Canyon.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I think that there is a video someplace of one of the Mahay's who look a jet boat up it and knocked out all of his upper teeth.

He did take the jet boat but the entire boat was filled with foam
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    He did take the jet boat but the entire boat was filled with foam
    Yes it was but he did not get his upper teeth knocked out or if he did they sure didn't show up on the video.

There has been another jetboat up that canyon and they actually ran it back down it instead of having it airlifted out.

There has been another jetboat up that canyon and they actually ran it back down it instead of having it airlifted out.
    Who?? I'd love to here about it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for all your information guys, this is what I was looking for, I kinda figured it was a bad place for a float hunt with a raft but I wanted some other opinions having never been there, my hunting buddies and I can be fearless but we are not insane. Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Who?? I'd love to here about it.
    If I recall correctly it was Bentz Boats in Idaho. I know they took video of the trip but didn't have it on DVD last I heard just VHS and had not released it to the public. Not sure what year they made the run?

Default Here you go-

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    There are a few clips on You Tube of the Canyon, but none but Kayaks and they look pretty crazy..Been discussed here before: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=461180
    HERE'S A CLIP of the first descent on YouTube.

Amazing stuff.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay