Thread: How's the hunting near Potter's Marsh?

Default How's the hunting near Potter's Marsh?

Driving up the highway I see guys hunting across the railroad tracks just south of the shooting range. Anyone hunting there? What kind of ducks are you shooting?

Not to worry from me, if I have time to even pull my guns out of the safe before November, I'll be lucky. Just want to enjoy others good luck.

Dave

That is part of the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge. The refuge stretches from the Potter Marsh north to just past the airport. You must obtain a special permit from DF&G to hunt the area though. You must present evidence of a Hunter Safety Class to obtain the permit. The waterfowling is not great in the ACWR and access at the other spots other than the Potter Marsh side is difficult at best. However, if you are willing to work at it you might pick up a bird or two. But, you can't beat the convience of hunting in your backyard.

Thanks, didn't know about the special permit. Good to know before I screwed up. From what I could see, it didn't look like the most productive spot, but like you say, can't beat the convenience. I'd rather be cold and sit in a marsh with a shotgun than watch TV any day!

Hunted across the tracks from Potters Marsh last year. The ducks definately know where they want to land...as such I found my high speed passing shots needs a little practice.

I'll bet! Driving down the highway yesterday, looked like a teal was pacing me at 55MPH!

I think teal have been clocked at flying darn near 70 miles an hour, I've heard some stories about them being tagged up north and then shot down in New Zealand really soon.