Thread: Moving to Homer,AK

Default Moving to Homer,AK

My dreams are coming to life. I'll be moving to Homer soon and I have a 21' Custom Weld inboard jet boat. I wanna ask if this kind of a boat would do well fishing in the bay and the ocean ? It's more designed for rivers, and I know the Kenai has a horsepower restriction. Would it be wise for me to sell or trade in the boat for a boat with an outboard and possibly get a small sled or jon boat with a jet pump ? Or will keeping my big inboard and is there a market for inboard jet boats? Would I have any problem selling or trading it in. I have about $60,000 put in to it.

Thanks

Default welcome to Homer

Good to see you xcited about your move. Its a great place to live. A boat is a must but Im not sure where the one you describe fits in a salt water fishery. It will get you to fish but a jet isnt the best for rough water, seaweed, and running 25 to 30 plus miles out to the halibut grounds. If you can sell it for good money maybe you should, then find what fits your needs on the lower penninsula. I have 3 boats and still could use another one. Figure out once you are here where you will be spending your time and get a boat that you can afford to use. Nothin worse then a nice boat you cant afford to take fishing. Good luck

Not the best boat for Homer, but you could make use of it. Jet boats are big in most areas of the state, so you could use it in a lot of places other than on the kenai river. I would like to get a jet boat myself, and there is definetly a market for them here in Alaska, but the problem is you can't really have 1 boat that will do it all. If you plan on hunting and fishing in the interior I say hang on to it, you can still catch plenty of halibut and salmon with it out of Homer, but if you are wanting to stay mostly on the peninsula, I would look at selling it for a more ocean friendly boat, and if you want to fish the kenai, get something seperate for that

Thanks for the replys. So the question I have now is would I have a better chance selling my jet up there in Alaska, is there much demand? It's a 2008 and it has everything you can name. Or should I sell it thru a broker down here, in hopes of having a better chance and getting what I want for it?

Thanks Again for the advice!

I too made the move from Washington to AK (unfortunately I live in Anchorage-- as compared to Homer). The area you are coming from definately has a bigger market for the type of boat you have (big inboard jet). That being said, EVERYTHING is more expensive up here so you have that going for you.

IMO, I would sell down there, as the season never really ends and you have more potential buyers.

Good luck and welcome to AK

Default sell it down there

If there is a market there sell it. Many good used boats to be found up here in the fall. Esp. if you had cash and time to shop. Live here a little and see what you really need in a boat before you jump in. BTW what brings you to Homer?

My wife and I vacationed Alaska earlier this summer and fell in love with it, just like other have. I work in the medical field and the hospital in Homer has the best open position that is to my liking. Also upon talking with other people I have been told nothing bad about Homer in that it's a great place to live compared to other cities. The jet boat I have is a 2008 and I have alot invested in it and therefore selling it now I would take a BIG hit-loss in having it sold. My thinking now is to bring up there, use it where I can out in the bay and ocean on the calmer days, get a smaller boat for the Kenai and go with that. An other idea that occured to me was to call Custom Weld manufacturer and see if it's possible to take the jet pump off and put a prop stern drive unit on it and interchange it as to where I would be using the boat at. IE: jet pump for the rivers, prop stern drive for the open waters.