Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyoming/Alaska hunt trading any one interested?

Default Wyoming/Alaska hunt trading any one interested?

Hello,
    Anyone interested in trading a Wyoming wilderness pack in on horses hunt for a Alaska Moose hunt?
    I have killed several trophy elk bulls in the past few years, The largest being 374" I can supply pictures to anyone interested.
    Mule deer, Bighorn sheep, Antelope and Moose could also be an option if you draw the tag.
    This is all perfectly legal as no money is changing hands just trading hunts. From what I gather Moose in Alaska dont require an outfitter for non residents. Wyoming requires non residents to aconpany a guide in wilderness areas, I can take care of this part of the deal.
    Thanks

FYI just because no money is changing hands doesn't make it legal in most states. It is based on compensation which in your case would be a moose hunt for services rendered (deer hunt, elk, etc).

Your best route would be to do a little research and do a fly out hunt (drop hunt). Invite a buddy from Wyo to help split costs. This website has a lot of info, just start looking into the archives.

a 370+ bull is a **** good bull for wyo and most states, would be pretty tough to get one for an AK'er lol.

I'll be back in Wyo in less than a week to go hunt mule deer and antelope. Can't wait to go home.

Good luck this fall!

As long as the costs of each hunt are split equally, then legally speaking, there's no compensation. You'd definitely want to keep receipts for proof just in case the law did get involved.

the fact that guide service (with a cash value) is provided on one hunt but not the other is gonna make this hard to argue as an "even" trade... i don't think it would pass scrutiny as presented...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

This is not any different than two friends living in different states going hunting with each other. Not sure why so many people have to jump in on these threads and say its not legal, heck according to the laws its not even legal for your buddies to pitch in with the gas money when the two of you go fishing in your boat but plenty of you do just that on here.

Lots of places in Wyoming that hold some really nice bulls in a "NON-WILDERNESS" area, you could even hunt mountain goat in area 1 near Alpine which is a non-wilderness area ( just need to draw the tag)...DIY hunts in WY are not farfetch, I know many that do it...

Default I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    This is not any different than two friends living in different states going hunting with each other. Not sure why so many people have to jump in on these threads and say its not legal, heck according to the laws its not even legal for your buddies to pitch in with the gas money when the two of you go fishing in your boat but plenty of you do just that on here.
    This statement make a whole lot more sense than a lot of the other BS being said about this. I'd love to take this gentlemen up on the deal but have a hard time leaving AK in the fall. A elk hunt in the high country of Wyoming via horse back sounds really cool though.

Default Great Hunt iDEA!

You talk on the phone, become friends and go hunting with each other! Why do some hunters try to impead other hunters? Aren't we all on the same team?

Something to consider....1 hunt is successful, 1 is not.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default nobody is trying to "impede" anybody here...

just pointing out some things to be seriously considered, especially when broached on a public forum. bear in mind not all states have the same laws addressing guides and guiding, and alaska's are quite explicit.
    it IS legal to share ACTUAL expenses when fishing or hunting with friends.
    but since the value of a guided hunt is obviously greater than that of an unguided hunt, i strongly suspect it would be viewed as getting compensated beyond expenses.
    as for whether a hunt is successful or not it would have no legal bearing, as what is being traded is a hunt, not an animal.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default pm sent

PM sent

troy

I am not trying to "impede" other hunters, I am just making some suggestions so they do not get themselves, or the person who takes the offer in trouble and facing the judge in the courtroom.

Ignorance of laws, rules and regulations set forth by the wildlife agency in the state you wish to hunt doesn't make it ok when or if you get caught.

He posted that because money isn't being exchanged than its ok. And that is not true, not in Wyoming and not in most western states.

Hopefully I saved someone some future grief/heartache because they took an offer from a stranger and even worse took his word that it was/is legal. A **** good way to get yourself in trouble.

Like kahahawai posted above a DIY hunt is realistic in wyoming, MT CO or any state even AK. Now as far as drawing that Alpine Goat tag, good luck! Even though my buddy did draw that tag this year on his first time putting in for it .

Some of you need to calm down. Never seen a website where guys get worked up so easily.

WY2AK,
    It is legal, no question about it.

Read the wyoming game and fish laws, I can guide any non-resident I want as long as I get a non-comericial guide permit (witch I will), and the non-resident draws a tag. It is totaly irrelevant if we are friends or if I going hunting in Alaska.

Someone on here mentioned DIY hunts, Yes they are totaly do-able on your own, But it does help if you can get into the wilderness areas and it also helps if you are with someone that has spent countless hours glassing and finding his "Honey Holes"

As far as AK goes I dont even need a guide for Moose but it would definetly be easier if I had someone who knows the area and how to hunt those big ass moose. If I was wanting a guide required tag it would be different and I would pay to make it right.

If this doesnt work out I am going to do a DIY moose hunt myself. But Im pretty sure that there is some interest in trading.

Also thanks to everyone that has helped me out so far, Most the poeple on this forum go way out of there way to help and are very friendly. Some people have went as far to say theyll take me hunting and want nothing from me, Thats cool but I would never do that without some way of returning the favor.
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Isn't that hunting? Otherwise it would just be killing/shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by wyo123 View Post
    WY2AK,
    It is legal, no question about it.
    You are dead wrong so I took the liberty of finding it on the wyoming game and fish website for you. Hopefully after this you will understand.

Here is the definition of an outfitter in wyoming:

"Outfitter" means a person including a hunting club, who advertises or holds himself out to the public for hire or remuneration to provide guide or packing services for the purpose of taking any big or trophy game animal, excluding any person who furnishes pack or riding animals and other equipment only to a hunter for his personal temporary use and any landowner providing outfitter services on private lands owned or leased by him.

See the bold word remuneration? We both know you don't know what that means so the wyoming game and fish even provides a definition of it for you. Here it is:

(vi) “Compensation” and “Remuneration” mean payment of any kind, without regard to value or agreement, including tips, presents, exchange of property or services, or bartering for guide services.

There you go. It took 5 mins to find the facts for you. Do you see now? It mentions NOTHING in the exchange of money as you posted in your first post.

So what is your outfitter license #? Because for what you are offering you MUST be an outfitter.

Now it is LEGAL to take two non resident hunters MAX a year hunting with you in a Wilderness area. But there is to be NO compensation whatsoever for the deed.

It was setup in a case much like mine. I'll be back in WY next week to go hunting with my dad. Since I am now a nonresident if we chose to hunt a wilderness area he will pick up the license so I can legally go hunting in wilderness areas with him.

You are trying to exploit this law by misinterpreting it. But now you have no excuse because I just helped you out.

Exchanging a moose hunt in AK? Thats compensation. And now you get prosecuted in the state of Wyoming for Guiding without a license.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions about wyoming game and fish laws I'll try to help you out. I've found that whereever you go, its usually the residents of that state that need the most help regarding regulations.

Angry

Suppose you take Wyo123 Moose hunting no charge, no exchange, and after he spends a week or more hunting with you and your family, you become friends and he invites you to come join him for an Elk hunt, now is that same hunt legal? of course and the result is the same!
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Most of you are speculating and until something happens, no one knows what could legally be done or what each could get cited for.
    Profish has it correct I'd say. The Resident must HOST (cover expenses) the non res.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

WY2AK,

I'll call the Game and Fish on monday and ask them If I can take a friend hunting from Alaska in the wilderness on horses. I know what the answer is. It is no different than your dad taking you in the wilderness here.

Let me ask you this, Have you took your dad hunting in Alaska?
    If so you have done the same thing that you are saying is so illegal.

OK, I'll rephrase my question,
    Is there anyone in Alaska that would like to be my friend?
    Maybee someday you could come hunting in Wyoming with me, And next time im in alaska we could go out and check out some moose, Maybee I'll buy a tag and shoot one.

Default Wyo123

I just got back from a Moose hunt where my son, my dad (from ID), and my best friend (from MT) went with me. We shared the expense of the air taxi and went hunting. We also meet in MT or Wy and hunt together. IMO I see no difference in what you are proposing other than meeting the person on this public forum.

I do understand how some might feel there is a compensation for the AK hunter going to WY and hunting in an area that requires a guide, however it sounds like you can get a permit to take a hunter (friend or relative) into the wilderness area. Is there a fee for the Permit or do they just want to know you are in there?

I would veiw the two hunts as seperate incidents. The AK hunt as proposed would definately be legal, no problems going with an AK resident on a Moose hunt.

I would keep track of the expenses and split them equally. There is always someone out there that sees things a little different than the rest of us and would like to make an issue of it.

Good Luck

My mother lives just outside of Tensleep, her significant other has around 50,000 acres I go down and hunt in the Big Horns (when I can get a tag).

Default Hunting not Killing

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Guess thats why it's called HUNTING not Killing, LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast