Thread: Does USCG Monitor DSC in Alaska/PWS?

Default Does USCG Monitor DSC in Alaska/PWS?

I am going to be upgrading my VHF, GPS that uses DCS. Always looking at new projects.

Does the USCG monitor this in Alaska?

I am hoping our USCG safety guy will help us out here.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default http://www.uscg.mil/ACQUISITION/rescue21/alaskafaq.asp

2017??

I hope they do PWS first. What is ment by:

Iíve noticed that Rescue 21 wonít have the same direction finding capability as the lower 48. Why is this?

The suite of Rescue 21 technologies being deployed in Alaska are heavily influenced by supportability, weather, environment, habitability, terrain, power and bandwidth issues unique to the state. Terrain and weather present issues that, with current technology, are extremely hard to solve. Rescue 21 will continue to research equipment that may successfully address these issues, which may be implemented in the future.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

So DCS is part of NDRS? (Rescue 21)??

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I looked into this a bit a couple years ago when we replaced our radio. It seemed like the offical date that the system was supposed to be operational was always vague and kept getting pushed back.

That said, my understanding is that large commercial boats/ships are required to be able to recieve the distress calls and that in most places the USCG could recieve these calls too - unofficially.

So we went ahead and registered our radio/boat and connected the GPS up to it. God forbid we would need it, but a 5 second push on the red button and a digital signal goes out that has our vessel information and our GPS coordinates. Don't know if it would be recieved, but it seems worth the 5 second delay before getting on 16 and calling for help verbally. Ever try rattling off coordinates in a hurry? Ever try writing down coordinates someone is spitting at you?

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    I looked into this a bit a couple years ago when we replaced our radio. It seemed like the offical date that the system was supposed to be operational was always vague and kept getting pushed back.
    per the FAQ link provided below

4. Where and when will the system be deployed in Alaska?
    The Coast Guard identified over 50 critical sites in Southeast Alaska, Prince William Sound, Cook Inlet, Kenai Peninsula, the Aleutian Chain and Nome, at which expanded VHF-FM and UHF communications coverage will be installed. All work is scheduled for completion by the end of 2017.

Default Well it's almost Free

It's a Free service, there would be no reason NOT to atl east connect if it your equipment was compatable.
    Commercial boats are required, USCG has the ability to hear, if your radio is transmitting. What could it hurt to have one more feature that could do the trick.

506hz EPIRB $500+, which would be the ONLY choice for 100% insurance.
    Things that might work if your position was good.

Sat Phone $1200

SPOT $129 + $100 a year

With the number of marine repeaters, the only reason you can reach USCG Kodiak with a 25watt output radio, Why would someone not use this, it transmitts automatic, any one with this MMSI# / DSC can hear it automatic also.

Default Mmsi

Another plus is you can "ping" your buddy to find him or her. As long as you are in radio range. Just need their MMSI#, and you can enter it in your VHF. It puts an icon of a sailboat on my GPS, marking his exact location at the time I "pinged". No talking to give up that secret spot. Or in my case, I can see them coming so I run away.

When I give my pre-float awareness speal to all rookies on my boat, I show them the "little red button". If you have the capability, please hook it up, it will make it safer for all of us out there that have it. It's free to sign up for the MMSI#, I think I did it at Boat US.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Default Mmsi# 338088288

http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/ where you get the Number for Free

since it's like a phone one could try some one else with MMSI where they are catching too many fish!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/ where you get the Number for Free

since it's like a phone one could try some one else with MMSI where they are catching too many fish!
    Good idea putting your MMSI# in your signature block. Maybe the Admin could add this as a profile block??????

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default DSC

There's been some very informative threads on DSC in the past; do a forum search, it's worth the read. To answer AKBassking's original question, "Does the CG monitor DSC?"...the answer is (unfortunately) not at this time. A major part of the R21 project is to upgrade Alaska's high sites to allow for CH70 (DSC) monitoring....and, as someone already mentioned, Alaska's geographical challenges pretty much preclude radio direction finding; unlike the lower 48 states' coastlines, (where it is possible to get triangulation of signals), Alaska's mountainous coastline and the multitude of interconnecting waterways (especially in SE AK), don't give the radio signals a clear line of sight. Alaska's R21 project will primarily differ from R21 in the lower 48 in that DSC will become the primary means which the CG will use to determine the mariner's location. So, having a DSC-equipped/enabled VHF radio is critical....even though the CG does not yet have the full capability, other ships/boats do...and they can hear you on CH70. My personal boats (including my Jetskis) have DSC-enabled VHF radios, so if you are within my range, I will get your distress signals as will other similarly equipped boats. My advice is to not hesitate to 'upgrade' to DSC; the more boaters out there with DSC means there are that many more good sams to assist. Hope this helps! Boat Safe! Mike