Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting backpacks and the items that you carry in them

Default hunting backpacks and the items that you carry in them

i know the list i have is more for the lower 48 typle of hunting ..iam going to list what i have and i carry in the backpack and tell me what i need to add to the list.. for alaska backcounty hunting..

here what i carry in the backpack for basic hunting away from the main camp for the day ..

basic medical items
    -x-gunshot trauma kit with all items in own carrying case ..
    -x-med sized firstaid kit with all items in own carrying case
    -x-mrs mini water puf system with access items in own carrying case

basic items
    -x-surefire flashlight
    -x-surefire sc1-carrier for extras batties and blub unit
    -x-ziplock plastic bag with topo and hunting area land maps of the area with a old fashion gi lenstic compass with neck cord in the plastic bag the lenstic compass is to back up the gps unit if it fails or gets damage ..
    -x-ziplock plastic bag to hold the hunting permints as need
    -x-leupold lens pen
    -x-knife stones set -x-2-long flat style two-side style stones in own carrying case
    -x-guncleaning kit with it items in own stowage case
    -x-mtm-20.rd ammo box for rifle ammo
    -x-mtm 12.rd ammo wallet for pistol ammo
    -x-survival kit with it own items in own travel bag
    -x-mini monocular unit
    -x-rubber inner tube with double aa batties for gps unit x-8-with a rubberband stap
    -x-led headlight with carrying case for walking after dark as need
    -x-small fire starting kit with tinder
    -x-50.ft of 550.para cord rolled up for use as need
    -x-ziplock plastic bag of hunting socks along with foot powder and blister care kit ..
    -x-travel bag of babywipes for use as need
    -x-tube of bug repplent and sunscreen typle item
    -x-signal mirror that dummy corded to the pack
    -x-game call
    -x-full face military style cold weather mask to wear as need

game care kit and items in own stowage pouch along with a small folding shovel to bury the guts in the ground and trash bags to hold the game meat sections as need

food items

-x-ziplock plastic bag of hard shell candys and other snacks along with a homemade 24.style mre meal unit for use as need

-x-ziplock plastic bag of drinks mixs and instast hot soup mixs typle items as need -x-3-each typle

-x-small folding stove with fuel tabs for use as need

-x-round plastic 32.oz bottle with cup for cooking and drinking as need

all this is packed into a three day style daypack for use as a hunting backpack for us on the day trips as need

with each units have there own pockets on the pack for the item to be stored ..so i know right where the item is when i need to get to the pack ..

for i did a hunting in a lot of western mountains area in deep wooded mountain typle areas ..so i learned to carry a little extras items

i was thinking about adding a some wet weather outfits to wear over the hunting cloths ..the small packable typle items

do i need to add anything to the day trip hunting back.for i leave the big items like extras food and sleeping bag items back at the main hunting camp as need ..

so it good to go or add more items or take out items ..

782 (DEUCE) GEAR - Cartridge belt/H-harness

Front Chest Pouch (Eberlestock A2MP MultiPack):
    Binos (10x42 Geovids)

L-F Pouch: Emergency Food: (4 Cliff Bars)
    Water Purification Tablets

R-F Pouch: Compass
    Headlamp
    Small knife
    Lip balm

L-M Pouch: Camera (in zip-lock)
    Sunglasses
    Work gloves

R-M Pouch: .340 Wby Cartridges

RM: G20 in Holster
    Knife in Sheath

L-R Pouch: Reserve gear bag w/ zip lock inside containing:
    Batteries (3 AAA; 1 CR2):
    Box of waterproof matches (REI)
    Headlamp (extra)
    Insect repellent
    Lighters (2)
    Lighter fluid

R-R Pouch: Cigars
    Toilette Paper

Canteen Pouches (2) w/ full 1-liter bottles

Fanny Pack: First aid kit – (incl. a few Excedrin & Tums)
    Rain pants
    Fleece cap / face mask
    Waterproof gloves (uninsulated)
    Fleece vest
    Rain jacket (strapped on the back)

On Harness: Whistle

BACKPACK (45L):
    Waders (Neos River Trekker)
    Poncho (lightweight)
    Extra layers (as needed)
    Drop cloth
    Rubber gloves

Default Gunshot Trauma Kit

That is a pretty concise list, I enjoyed. reading it

I am having a difficult day in my office (Not Hunting, No Fishing)

What is in your gun shot trauma kit?

If I accidently shoot myself I would like some bandages and antibiotics
    perhaps some plasma, Mostly though I think I would like a small bottle of
    single malt scotch to ease the pain, if it is a bad hit make that a large
    bottle of spirits.

If I accidently shot someone else it would more likely be bandages, antiseptic and a Sat phone to call for help, and later to call my Attorney.

Don't realy have a pack.I do carry about ten foot of para cord in a pocket to pack out game.Camp axe on my belt along with knife.Rifle with three shell and loaded pistol.Extra pipe tobaco incase I get stuck out.Also make sure my lighter is full before leaveing home.

Spotting scope?
    Camera?
    RAIN GEAR!!!
    Game bags?

Unless you are using a motorized vehicle that you can bring to the animal you have killed, a three day style pack is not large enough for Alaska hunting. You need a frame pack that you can carry your animal out on. I would ditch most of the ammo and batteries as well. Just carry a magazine load and maybe a couple extra rounds. My GPS runs for 18 hours on one set of batteries and you don't need extra batteries for your Surefire in your hunting pack especially if you have an LED headlamp. Might want to consider a small saw and camp hatchet especially if you are moose hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I do carry about ten foot of para cord in a pocket to pack out game.
    What sort of pack are you rigging up with 10' of 550 cord? You must be doing some very close range hunting if you don't carry any optics with you. Since you are in Wrangell I would have expected you to carry a pack with rain gear, extra clothes, etc.

well it sounds like you have quite the backpack and could easily survive any major disaster in the wilderness. i think half the fun of hunting is scrambling around the night before or the morning of throwing all your crap together and getting into the field and finding out you left out some comfort items like any sort of water purification, rain gear, a saw, maybe bullets perhaps and trying to struggle like the avg. weekend warrior. With your packing skills i'm not sure you need our advice..lol In the future i may just print off your list...minus the gun cleaning kit and a dozen rounds or so.

I only do day trips with a pack and with that in mind I have an external frame with Boyd backpack that is relatively small, about 2300 Cubic Inches.
    Day trips are usually 12-14 hours either just scouting or hunting.
    2 liter bottles water
    sandwich, canned meat, fruit, power bars trail mix
    first aid kit,
    lighter & flint fire starter
    GPS, Map & Compass
    drop point knife + skinning knife + diamond sharpener
    Game Bag + plastic bag + 25' 3/8 nylon rope + trail tape
    2-way radio & cell Phone w/extra battery
    2 flashlights
    Car keys + wallet + Hunt License + tag
    Pen, paper + camera
    tripod + 15x56 Swarvo's + pen brush + Zeiss Lens wipes
    Toilet Paper In zip loc bag + rain poncho
    extra pair of socks + knit hat + gloves
    Rifle + Pistol Ammo 15-20 rounds each + earplugs

Default I have two backpacks-

An old canvas USFS pack that I use for bird hunting which contains plastic bags, duck/goose call, small survival kit, shells, coffee makings with cup in a small tea billy, and my pipe in a pouch.

I carry what I need for larger game in a Vietnam era pack which includes extra shells, moose call, a hatchet, skinning knife, sharpener, thick rubber gloves, survival kit, cheap rope and wire, SURVEY TAPE, a few game bags, an old tent fly, and of course my coffee and pipe stuff.

Sometimes I take a flask too.

lights are back up to back up each other ..

i have a small hand held spotting scope in the pack stap pouch ..

in 2007 ..my brother larry and i had gone over to L.a to go on a deer hunt with our niece g-.. it was her first time ever on a hunting trip and we want to make sure it was good first time.. so we found a place that does driveway style stand hunting where they have deer stands on the side of the road typle and you hunt from them ..we wanted her first hunt to a easly typle hunt for her..

the gunshot trauma kit is for a piece of mind after have a person take a shot at me and a game warden at the hunt down in L.a in 2007

the supid hunter took a shot and not thinking about the backstop and where the round could go .. the shot hit right between me and the .L.a game warden when he was asking for my permints and tags .. for i had taken a nice 4 point buck and i had drag it to the road and was waiting for my brother to come with the truck and pick it up .. he was checking the permints and tags ..the only saveing grace was it hit a big tree that was right between us and that stop the bullet from going down range and doing damage to some else in the area..

we hit the ground and started to look around ..when the guy comes out of the woods area about 130 yards down the lane and start to look where is deer was at that he took the shot at ..he said he saw a deer and that what he shot is says ..

the only saveing grace was if my niece had been there .. he would gotten a butt stomping like nobody business for we had taken her on first deer hunt that year over in L.a. ..she was still in her stand we went to check up on her..

we both hand weapons out and was looking around and then looked at each other are they shooting at me or you typle of look ..

after that i start packing a gunshot trauma kit ..for me to use or myself or the supid person that shoot at me again so to patch them up or me up as need

now as far as rain gear items i going to pick up some things when i get up along with a new pack for the packing it out meat and hide of the animal that i have taken . ..

i thought i would get with a guide dureing the off season and have him look over the gear and lay it out like a junk on the bunk typle deal and see if i missing anything ..before i go out on first hunt up there..

or someone on this forum and have them go over the items with me to make sure i have the right item as need

and maybe some new base camp set up items also for alaska bush hunting ..

Default Much less

My impression is your list has too much of the wrong stuff and I probably wouldn't like hunting with you. I'm sorry if that is offensive. I was having a conversation about that this week with my partner. We were standing on a cliff....literally, and we were just shooting the **** breeze about painting or something stupid. I look at him and say thats why I like hunting with him. He always keeps his cool and gets it done right in the craziest situations.

To me your list just screams......something bad will befall me in the wilderness.

Heaps of ammo
    Extra batteries
    Gun shot kit.....come on dude.....that should NEVER happen!
    Maybe you need the extra ammo to set up hold defensive posistions.

Blisters.....If your hunting with me your boots and feet better perform. I've never, ever, used moleskin after hundreds of miles.

ect.......sorry your list got me on a rant.

Thats awesome your a good boy scout. I want a soldier on my hunts......get-er-done through the pain and rain.

I like the way you think Bighorse...

One thing needs to be in your arsenal is that figurative switch, you know, the one that you use to turn off the pain and keep on going. That is one reason why some people like solo hunting so much...You only have to abide by your own limitations, mental and physical.

When I look at your list henry, 50% or more of that stuff would stay at the truck, if I even took it at all.

Your list says its for a day hunt out of a main camp. Heck, you dont need 90% of that stuff.

I would say if you go out with that list, re-evaluate when you get back. Pull out everything that you didnt use and pitch it. Then add back only the most essential safety items.

For a day hunt you shouldnt be carrying around more than 15 lbs at most, IMO. Otherwise you might as well be carrying camp on your back.

Actually, you should assemble all those items in your pack, then weigh it with rifle.. I'll bet it weighs 40-50 lbs.

FWIW, for a day hunt out of a spike camp, I'll carry my pack frame (or maybe even just a small fanny pack depending how far from camp I will be) with roughly the following:

Some high energy snack food ( maybe 1 lb)
    Rangefinder, binos or spotting scope
    rain jacket
    water bottle
    couple of spare shells
    tags, knife, game bags, 10 ft of cord
    gloves maybe and extra windproof fleece jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    My impression is your list has too much of the wrong stuff and I probably wouldn't like hunting with you. I'm sorry if that is offensive. I was having a conversation about that this week with my partner. We were standing on a cliff....literally, and we were just shooting the **** breeze about painting or something stupid. I look at him and say thats why I like hunting with him. He always keeps his cool and gets it done right in the craziest situations.

To me your list just screams......something bad will befall me in the wilderness.

Heaps of ammo
    Extra batteries
    Gun shot kit.....come on dude.....that should NEVER happen!
    Maybe you need the extra ammo to set up hold defensive posistions.

Blisters.....If your hunting with me your boots and feet better perform. I've never, ever, used moleskin after hundreds of miles.

ect.......sorry your list got me on a rant.

Thats awesome your a good boy scout. I want a soldier on my hunts......get-er-done through the pain and rain.
    I'm gonna have to say this was pretty much an unneeded comment. I know that sometimes you type something up....but you shouldn't push the "submit" button!!

So you're gonna get on a guy for being prepared? If he can haul this around, and not complain, then he should be commended.

I agree that a lot of items he mentions wouldn't be in my bag, however I sure would like to know that if i'm "in need", EVER, maybe this guy is there to help.

Your "soldier" mentality is nice, but nothing wrong with being prepared.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default If you're carrying that much stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

... better to have moleskins.

most of it just in case i get caught out overnight .

it better to be prepared for something than not to have and need it ..

most of that list for western states back county elk hunting where we have gone back into the mountains set up camp useing horse to go back into the area where we are going to be hunting ..

when hunting in places where it a walk from the main house out a small stand it little items like

3.lt sized camelback filled with water
    then in a small wasitbag to hold the following items
    ziplock plastic bag of diff typles of snacks items
    permints with ziplock plastic bag to hold them
    drag rope for draging the deer out of the forrest to the stand to be picked up ..
    compact binoculars for use as need ..

that everything that runs on batties fails and fails at the wrong time and place ..so be prepared to deal with something happening at the wrong time ,.

so what happens if you get shoot by a hunter who is shooting at something he sees moveing though the bush or you hunting buddy just ran into a old statch himself and he madden than a wet hen about the meetting ..

how are you going to deal with this problems ..belive the items in a trauma kit are design to deal the problem of bleeding and getting the person stablized for movement ..

first off i never hunted alaska ..i done most of my hunting in montana and texas and la areas ..so i never been on a alaska moose or deer hunt ..

so i want to be bepared to have something that i might need or not need ..

so when i get up there i will have someone help and guide me though my first alaska hunt ..

As far as getting shot goes, sure you might get one in the leg, but with the calibers we're out there with for the most part, one might as well bring a body bag so your already packaged up when they find you.

I think that carrying that much stuff will actually increase the odds of you having to stay overnight. You will lose mobility, ie speed, increase your chances of injuring yourself, and maybe not get to the area you'd like to hunt and back cause your too wore out to safely get it done. Like I said, better to add a sleeping bag and a tarp and just plan to camp in the hunting grounds if you go thru the effort of carrying all that stuff afield.

FWIW, I'm not trying to be a PITA. And I dont think Bighorse was either. Just trying to help you see it from a different perspective. I have mountain hunted with partners who carry too much stuff and it slows you down and likely kept us from having a legitimate opportunity to harvest game. If you want a camping trip, thats one thing, but I'm talking about harvesting game.

IT's all a learning process. Your list is pretty comprehensive less a few things that Chisana mentioned. Youre not obligated to listen to any of us. Just go for it. In time you will learn what you need and what breaks the camels back....

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post

so when i get up there i will have someone help and guide me though my first alaska hunt ..

That is what you really need...Good luck and let us know how it goes..

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    As far as getting shot goes, sure you might get one in the leg, but with the calibers we're out there with for the most part, one might as well bring a body bag so your already packaged up when they find you.

I think that carrying that much stuff will actually increase the odds of you having to stay overnight. You will lose mobility, ie speed, increase your chances of injuring yourself, and maybe not get to the area you'd like to hunt and back cause your too wore out to safely get it done. Like I said, better to add a sleeping bag and a tarp and just plan to camp in the hunting grounds if you go thru the effort of carrying all that stuff afield.

FWIW, I'm not trying to be a PITA. And I dont think Bighorse was either. Just trying to help you see it from a different perspective. I have mountain hunted with partners who carry too much stuff and it slows you down and likely kept us from having a legitimate opportunity to harvest game. If you want a camping trip, thats one thing, but I'm talking about harvesting game.

IT's all a learning process. Your list is pretty comprehensive less a few things that Chisana mentioned. Youre not obligated to listen to any of us. Just go for it. In time you will learn what you need and what breaks the camels back....
    GREAT POST!!

Yup, definately a learning process. You'll find that most of that stuff you won't need 99% of the time. You'll sure wish you had it that 1%, however the rest of the time you'll cures the weight and bulk. As you go out and about you'll figure what you need for you.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast