Thread: Talkeetna next week

Question Talkeetna next week

Just cleaned up and fired up the Almar last week for the first time this season for a few days last weekend at LK Louise. I am having a hard time putting it back under wraps again so soon.
    Been wanting to fish the Talkeetna late fall for a long time, and it looks like I will head up there around the 1st of October with my boys to give it a try for a couple of days.
    I have boated on this river many times in the past from the campground launch to Clearcreek,and I am wondering if this stretch of river can be productive for rainbows and dollies?
    I would also appreciate any advice and info from you guys who have done this: fishing methods and lures for this time of year. I am a spinning reel kind of guy, but not adverse to rigging up flies at times. Thanks for your help.

if I were fishing the mainstem talkeetna with a spinning rod in october I would backtroll small green plugs with single hooks. Not that I know anything, I just have a hunch...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

I was up there about 4 weeks ago, I can not help you on fishing info as I was after the silvers at Cleer creek. When I launched at the camp ground there is a big sand bar straight out from the launch, I saw several boats stuck on it. The way I got out was to turn around in the deep hole at the launch and be on step as soon as you start. The bar may have changed by now but be careful.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I was up there 2 weeks ago and the water at the launch was so low we had to walk my buddy's boat downstream almost to Mahay's.

Once on the main branch no worries, though.

Wink Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I guess all those other Talkeetna river anglers have lips as tight as the fish they caught. Lots of great pictures posted last fall by some, sure would appreciate just a couple of tips if you can let go of them.

I was out there with my dad last weekend. The water at the launch was still low, but had no trouble pulling, or floating, my little 14' boat through the shallow spot. Ran the main river fine to just below the mouth of clear creek. He landed three silvers and two dollies on a brass spinner with brass blade, probably a #3 or #4. I lost one silver and had no other bites fishing other colors. He was not willing to share the lucky spinner. I did fish some flesh and egg pattern flies with no success, but I am also no fly fisherman. Thought I could find a bumb one anyway. That was the first time I ever fished there late in the fall, but at least he caugh a few fish which is what I was after. Good luck.