Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SeaSport winterization

Question SeaSport winterization

Gonna do the winterization for my first time on 96, 22' Seasport on Saturday. Its got the 5.0 system, along with VP outdrive unit.I really want to get this right the first time, rather than find out next spring that that I overlooked something. By the book, it seems to be quite a bit more involved than the old Almar jet boat (about a 10 or 15 minute job). I don't have a problem with the fuel system, that all seems to be what I am used to, but the cooling system and outdrive unit is what I am concerned about.
    Any advice or instructions from any of you guys who have been there-done that would be greatly appreciated.

Gary: I sent you a PM.

Default Might you also

please send me the info you sent to Gary? I'm interested in comparing what I was planning to do with my Osprey to what others are doing.

thanks!

On my Volvo Penta the book says to do this invovled process of remiving a cooling hose and using a bucket to transfer the winterizing fluid in. In Seattle the head mechanic for the distributor said just set up a 5gallon bucket wth a hose fitting and put it on the swimstep, with a short hose to the rabbit ears on the outdrive. Start then engine and watch until the red fluid comes out the outdrive exhaust and you are done (with this part). West Marine even has buckets set up in this manner, I saw it in a recent flyer, but I don't know if they have them here in town or not.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thumbs up

Ditto jrogers suggestion on bucket with hose to mouse ears on the outdrive. Only takes a few gallons on my VP 5.7L EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    On my Volvo Penta the book says to do this invovled process of remiving a cooling hose and using a bucket to transfer the winterizing fluid in. In Seattle the head mechanic for the distributor said just set up a 5gallon bucket wth a hose fitting and put it on the swimstep, with a short hose to the rabbit ears on the outdrive. Start then engine and watch until the red fluid comes out the outdrive exhaust and you are done (with this part). West Marine even has buckets set up in this manner, I saw it in a recent flyer, but I don't know if they have them here in town or not.
    I did this last night and have done it this way for several years successfully. I have the West Marine setup, but I think a 5-gallon bucket with modifications would work even better. Steps I use are warm up the engine on muffs (tap water/garden hose). Fill 5-gallon container with antifreeze (the pink stuff - make sure it's not the RV stuff because that doesn't have corrosion inhibitors). Put muffs on end of hose that goes to the antifreeze container. Start engine. As the antifreeze drains from the container, add a couple more gallons to it to top it off. Just before the container's empty, fog the engine until it almost dies (or until it dies) and shut off engine. You may be surprised how quickly the level of antifreeze in the container goes down, so you have to ready to move quickly. My engine is a closed system and the block and manifolds are fresh-water cooled, so it doesn't take much antifreeze running though the muffs before all the water in the engine is replaced by it. For a raw-water cooled system, there's more to it than this and your chances of screwing it up and not getting all the raw water out of the block is much greater.

Question Got her done!

Thanks to DreamCatcher's information and advice, I got the SeaSport all winterized this weekend. He spent alot of time on the phone with me explaining the process along with other Seasport facts. Feels really good to have it done, especially since I still have the Almar still in running condition and the weather is cooperating so far.
    Used the bucket of antifreeze on the swim step with hose to lower unit. First try did not work cause I had the hose going into the top of the bucket. Evidently the pump could not pull it out from the top.
    Drilled a hole in the side of bucket near bottom and installed a hose fitting. This time it worked like a charm.
    I am still trying to figure out where to get gear oil for lower drive unit. Do I need to use Volvo Penta product or will something else out there on the market work?

Very interesting concept. When you guys use this method do you dilute the antifreeze 50/50?

I been pulling the hoses and removing the drain plugs from the manifolds and it takes about 1 hour to an hour and a half but this method seems easier.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    I am still trying to figure out where to get gear oil for lower drive unit. Do I need to use Volvo Penta product or will something else out there on the market work?
    If its still under warranty I'd try to find a Volvo product, or whatever brand they recommend. If not, other gear lube will work. Just make sure it meets whatever specifications Volvo recommends. A lot of it is 80 90w, but I'm sure theres other types out there.

Another question. My 8.1 motor has a hose fitting where I can connect a hose to it and turn on the water while running it while in the driveway.
    Can I just pour antifreeze into this fitting or do I need to go the muff route?
    Tennessee

whatever is easier, you could use the muffs, or you could use that fitting. I don't know if the fitting will transfer the antifreeze all the way to the lower unit though, so it might be more safe to use the ear muffs so the engine is sucking the antifreeze into everywhere it normally would have water.

I'm unfamiliar with using the fitting, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Very interesting concept. When you guys use this method do you dilute the antifreeze 50/50?

I been pulling the hoses and removing the drain plugs from the manifolds and it takes about 1 hour to an hour and a half but this method seems easier.

I do not dilute it, but just put it straight in. I went to AIH and got a 5 gallon translucent bucket, and a male hose end fitting for fixing a garden hose. I drilled the cap on the bucket and mounted the fitting there. When I am ready to run the motor, I just lay the bucket on its side on the swimstep witha short hose connecting it to the earmuffs. If you have a fitting where you canrun it out of the water, I am sure that would be fine as well.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I've got a 41P volvo diesel in my rig with a duoprop outdrive and all i do is pull the raw water hose off on the inside of the transom sheild, i add a short piece of hose to it so it will go into a 5gal bucket of 60/40 antifreeze mix then start the engine & let it run till it sucks the bucket dry, then i pull the drain plugs on any raw/saltwater cooled parts of the engine. The block is freshwater cooled so the 50/50 mix in there is already taken care of. Good night boat for the winter !!
    Gary call me about the drive oil.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Potbuilders right except I

PERKO makes a special one way valve type gig with a hose connection $70. It goes into the line that goes down to the outdrive and to the pump.

Well being cheap I used a 3" hose and a copper water pipe a reducer With a hose connected to a 5 gallon bucket thru a hole in the bottom part, attacted to my home made unit. I poor the RV antifreeze I ran thru last year into the bucket and start it up. The ears and a bildge pump or gravity feed bucket looses to much antifreeze. I have a big plastic tub to recollect the antifreeze.
    Nope; Alaska Vessel Dan & Larry, showed me this trick, I just modified it a little for bucket. But going out one more time but this time home I guess it's time.

Angry winterizing so soon.

Before I tarp the boat up real well I had an idea to dump a gallon of RV antifreeze into the hatches in the cockpit (they are all limbered to the bilge) and in all the nooks and crannies to prevent any pockets that water might accumulate and freeze in.

I think I'll also get some of that salt-away and run it through the motor. I added fuel stabilizer the other night and ran the motor until I saw some color change in the fuel filter so it should be into the motor. Oh yeah got to top off the tank and dump in some heat.... it was a great summer this year. Too bad its so **** short

My advice is to NOT use the regular ethylene glycol. Instead, use the "pink stuff" full strength. Otherwise, you'll either have to somehow capture and dispose of the toxic ethylene glycol, or you'll be dumping that stuff into the ocean or lake.

[QUOTE=skydiver;583463]My advice is to NOT use the regular ethylene glycol. Instead, use the "pink stuff" full strength. QUOTE]

I was thinking the RV type stuff we dump into our drains at the cabin when we will be gone for a while during the winter.

[QUOTE=WalknBob;583580]
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    My advice is to NOT use the regular ethylene glycol. Instead, use the "pink stuff" full strength. QUOTE]

I was thinking the RV type stuff we dump into our drains at the cabin when we will be gone for a while during the winter.

I think Skydiver was referring to Potbuilders reference to a 60/40 mix of antifreeze. I am sure he meant to say RV antifreeze, and would never put glycol in our waters.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I mean use the RV type, but specifically I mean the marine type. If the stuff will be staying in your engine, use the marine stuff because it has anti-corrosion stuff in it. For my head and washdown pump, I use the RV stuff that you can get at Wal-Mart. This is what all I do because of all I've been told and researched. There may be better ways.

Hi Gary -

I just sent you a PM. I have the same boat and will be winterizing for the first time this year. Drop me a line if you'd be willing to share your winterizing experience with me.

Thanks!

gd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast