Thread: Flipped Pacer at Patton Bay

Default Flipped Pacer at Patton Bay

Anybody know if the Pacer that flipped at Patton Bay on Montague was recovered. Saw the pic in the paper and mud was already covering one wing. Dang shame, but I'm sure glad all aboard were O.K.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I was wondering if they hit a log or what???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Me too. It's a big bay with well over a couple miles of landable beach. Some is soft, but the majority is not. The part we landed on you could have landed anything on. The 206 hardly made tracks.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have had many enjoyable and succesful landings on Patten bay, however, there are a number of airplane hulks litering the beach, a testimony to the need to be very vigilant. Just don't get near the river. Someone does have the salvage rights to the airplane, what's left of it. It's in pretty rough shape now.

Default flipped plane Patton Bay Montague Island

Never land south of the river at Patton Bay on Montague Island at least for the first 1.5 miles. The sand there is lifted as the tide comes in on bedrock. I have seen this only a few place in Alaska and Patton Bay is one of them. I know of four planes wrecked there over the years. One year I was in a hurry landed within 50 feet of waterline, firmer sand with my beaver with monster tires had to go full power as the wheels dug up to the ski axles. I went back with my helicopter another trip, the skids went so deep I had to dig them out for lift off. Other than Patton Montague has good firm sand just above the waterline. Watch out for some of the rocky beaches, need bigger than 8:50 x 6 for those beaches. For the more daring pilots we land up top, hunt down to the deer, not for the faint of heart.
    LB

The current wreck is on the north side of the river on the north end of the beach where the main beach transitions to rock, debri and brush. It's a pretty said sight, it has been scavenged and is just a carcass laying on its side. According to the report the aircraft flipped on take off and the 3 folks on board made it safely home with help from the Coast Guard.

I have spent a fair amount of time wondering the Patton Bay beaches. I've only walked the beach on the south side of the creek a couple times and it is indeed softer. On the north side of the river it can be soft near the river. For the most part it is a solid beach with plenty of good landing. Big tires are cheap insurance. Watch out for the little cuts in the main beach where tiny creeks can make some big ditches. Don't push the tides. Montague is a wonderful place!

JB