Thread: How many #s of salt per goat hide?

Default How many #s of salt per goat hide?

Myself and 3 other forum members are heading to Kodiak to chase goats for 8 days. Say the stars align and we shoot 4 goats during this hunt. How many pounds of salt would be bring to preserve the hides. We'll probably be purchasing the salt in Kodiak and I'm guessing Seahawk Air will know where to pick up the salt. Thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Myself and 3 other forum members are heading to Kodiak to chase goats for 8 days. Say the stars align and we shoot 4 goats during this hunt. How many pounds of salt would be bring to preserve the hides. We'll probably be purchasing the salt in Kodiak and I'm guessing Seahawk Air will know where to pick up the salt. Thanks for any info.
    Good luck on the hunt. Do you have the 477 permit? I hunted 477 in 2007 and had a great time. We were out right at the end of September. As I look at my goat backskin it is roughly twice the size of a cape. I tend to go heavy on salt and use 5-7 pounds of salt on a cape. For sheep we bring three boxes of pickling salt and I believe they are 4 or five pounds each. We split that for two capes. I would guess the backskin would use less salt than a cape since it has fewer nooks and crannies and you don't have salt absorbing areas like the nose, lips, etc. So, my best guess would be 10 pounds for the backskin or 15 pounds for the whole goat.

Seahawk has a van and they will be glad to pick you up at the airport, take you to Mack's, or Safeway. Safeway has salt and you may be able to ask for a 50 pound bag that would cover you whole camp.

Post pics when you get back!!

Thanks for the info. A 50# bag at Safeway would be the way to go for sure. Yeah we are headed to do the DG 475 hunt (Zachar Bay area). Should be a good time. All 4 of us will probably have a camera so there will be plenty of pics when all is said and done. Now just need to find out if its a 3 any deer a season area after Oct 1st or the other area of Kodiak. More research. Thanks again for the help.

its an any deer area, only the road system is limited.
    if safeway don't have the salt, the little costco connection has the 25lb bags there, be ready to laugh when you see the price..., flesh them close, goat leather is really thick and will soak almost as much salt as you'll give it, so set it so they can drain a bit..but as long as you salt them they should be fine...keep 'em in the shade and dry...good luck!
    when you headed down? i'll be in town on the 11th...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yeah cost savers on Mill Bay road before safeway on the same side is the place with the best deal on salt with the 25# bags like BRWNBR said.

I've picked it up from the canneries before. They have lots of it and if you get the right guy he'll just give it to you. Might cost you a cut of meat though. Just thought I would throw that at you as another option.

Bro, one of our guys JUST got back from that area and spent 8 days in a tent with the clouds at the end of their noses! Rough trip he said. I'll call you tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Bro, one of our guys JUST got back from that area and spent 8 days in a tent with the clouds at the end of their noses! Rough trip he said. I'll call you tonight...
    That is pretty standard for some Kodiak goat hunts. When I went we had about two days out of seven where we could go up the mountain and hunt goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    That is pretty standard for some Kodiak goat hunts. When I went we had about two days out of seven where we could go up the mountain and hunt goats.
    More often than not, I'm afraid...theres where a quality tent like the bombshelter shines. Bring a book...or two!

Hey, get off the computer and go shoot some video of those suppressed .22's!!

More often than not, I'm afraid...theres where a quality tent like the bombshelter shines. Bring a book...or two!

Yes it may be a glorified camping trip chilling in the 6 man guide model tent for 8 days, but we'll have to see how it goes. Maybe a deer will stumble into camp and provide some entertainment and camp meat. Oh and I'm bringing a truck load of Eastman Hunting mags that I am like 8 magazines behind since I haven't read any of them since end of April.

I do need to do that. Hopefully I will have a Gemtech Oasis 10/22 and HALO to play with soon!!!

if you know your country you can hunt goats in the fog...use your GPS some google map photos but you can walk right up on goats in the fog and see them long before they see yous ince they are white.if the goats are close and you've got a good idea where they area..i chase them in the fog. make sure you know the ground your on though!!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Good luck on your hunt.

Don't 'fret' about the weather, bring plenty of both types of 'fuel'.

Thats what saved my partner and I in '78', Bear hunting Deadman bay when typhoon 'Mary' 'tried' to punish us. Day 1, was typical Kodiak weather, next 16 days, NOTHING was dry. Warmth only because of extra blazo. Great experience.