Thread: Sheep hunting advice

Default Sheep hunting advice

I have decided that I really want to harvest a sheep next year. I was thinking of doing a ATV drive in. Now I'm not looking for anyones secret spot, just a little advice to get me started. I was wondering about three trails camcast trail, yoder road trail, or iron creek trail. Any one have any advice. You can pm me if you dont want to post it in a open forum. I'm not affraid to walk, but I think that 15 miles would be my max. Any advice would be great. I have been down the yoder road trail and it was rough. I did see some lams, but not one single ram.

Thumbs up

Have you considered the Syncline Mountains? Good ATV Access and some good rams back there on the North side. I don't think you have much going for you on the Iron Creek Trail, with a wheeler. But others might have it figured out. Where is the "camcast trail"? New one to me. You can also get into some good sheep up Honalulu Creek, there is an atv trail about three miles south of where it crosses the Parks Hwy. You should also put in for the Delta Controled Use Area. You can access part of that with ATVS. Good luck on your search, will be interesting to see how this thread plays out. Hopefully some one will put you on a good spot.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have been down the yoder road trail and it was rough. I did see some lams, but not one single ram.
    I'm not familiar with the other trails, but that was my experience as well off Yoder Rd. I saw a lot of ewes up past the end of the trail, but no rams. I'm sure there are exceptions from time to time, though. I wasn't looking for sheep, either.

With an atv-based sheep hunt, your best bet will be to ride as far as the particular trail goes, and then be planning to walk another 10-15 miles to find some solitude and some rams. An atv is a good tool to get you to the edge of sheep terrain, but boot leather will often make the difference between success and a nice camping trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Where is the "camcast trail"?
    Maybe he means Alascom Road.

Or maybe he means ComSat road out of Talkeetna. The one that gets you to Larsen lake, etc.

Isnt that the way to access the Iron Creek Trail (if that even exists on the ground anymore...)

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Or maybe he means ComSat road out of Talkeetna. The one that gets you to Larsen lake, etc.

Isnt that the way to access the Iron Creek Trail (if that even exists on the ground anymore...)

Makes more sense than my idea.

Talking

Your best bet would be to grow longer legs or be nicer to excoworkers who cut your thumb off.

You could do it off the Talkeetna Spur Rd...various trails..if you were determined. Unfortunately, by the time you get back to sheep it will be full of guys that flew in with one of the many air taxis in Talkeetna/Willow or with guides and clients.

There are also trails off the Parks, but every single one of them had multiple vehicles parked there on Aug 9th this year. Even more vehicles at them on opening day of moose season.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    Your best bet would be to grow longer legs or be nicer to excoworkers who cut your thumb off.

He's done growin' ...he even had to go to Barneys to get a custom fitted youth model pack.