Thread: Best time of the year to visit and hand out Resumes?

Default Best time of the year to visit and hand out Resumes?

Hello everyone, my name is Rudy and I am hoping to move up to Alaska and land a pilot job. Everyone has told me that handing out resumes in person is the way to go. What would be the best time of year for that? I would think December or March would be the best time. I have faxed and e-mailed all the operations that I qualified for on flyalaska.com and have networked as best I can from Colorado.

My current times are 1350 TT 600 Mountain and IFR 135 min with about 270 hours of Cessna P210 time; ASEL AMEL CFI-I. With the current market do I stand a chance in the spring with zero alaska time? Should I plan to go to both Anchorage and Juneuo to hand out resumes or are most operators based out of Anchorage? It seems that way to me. Current CFI pay limits my airline ticket buying power or I would include Bethel, it is hard to justify the cost with no guarantee of employment.

I'm mostly looking for any tips for landing that first Alaska job but if anything I would just like to see Alaska.

Rudy

Most part 135 air taxi operators start looking for pilots for the summer season in January thru March. By April they have hired pilots and are doing their required training and check rides. If you are interested in part 121 operators you might try Penair in Anchorage for a year round multi seat.

The air taxis that hire ASEL pilots are flying mostly C-206, 207, 208's and PA 32's.

Pick up a floatplane rating as soon as you can, it'll help you in the long run. The 121 carriers will hire without Ak time, but the 135s generally want 500hrs Ak.

I'd agree with everything that Floatplanepilot said, but add that it seems to me that 135 operators in SE Alaska will sometimes hire pilots with less time than the Anchorage based businesses. My first job was in Juneau and my times were similar to yours. I did have a couple hundred hours of Alaska time, but some of the people hired while I was there had none. PM me if you like and I'll send you specific contact info

There's no need to go out to Bethel. Hageland and Grant are the big players out there. Visit the office in Anchorage, know the chief pilots and name and get to talk to them in person would go a long way. Your P210 time is a plus, knowing how to take care of the big Continentals is good. A 207 is just like a bigger, uglier 210, just slower and glides like a brick. But you can really pack a lot of stuff in 'em. I've had 6 plastic totes, huntin camp for 2, 3 caribou w/ smaller racks and 1 passenger shoved in one. Fun stuff.

The other guys here are right on, follow up on your resumes and keep making yourself visible. Good luck.

Due to the high turnover up there, and with those numbers you will get a job in Bethel, come up in February and visit all the operators mentioned plus ACS and Northern Air Cargo. They get lots of resumes but really like the folks that come into the office.

My flying career started early November about 20 years ago (Ryan Air, St. Mary's). I had about 1000 hrs tt.

I think there's occasionally a few unexpected pilot openings when the wing covers and Herman Nelson's come out.
    Louis Knapp

Thank you for all the replies, I haven't set a date but I will be coming in mid Feb. I will keep my fingers crossed to land a job in Anchorage or Juneau. If not I think I will try to get a flight to Bethel. If anything I am excited to see Alaska! Discovery channel and History channel love to tease me.

A unrelated question, can you see the northern lights in feb? I realize most nights it is overcast and I've read that now is the best time to see them, but can they be seen that time of year? Are they vibrant south of Fairbanks?

Thank you for your time everyone,

Rudy
    Last edited by Rudabega; 09-26-2009 at 18:57. Reason: spelling.

Heck yeah you can see 'em in February, I've seen some amazing displays in the valley (lived there most of my life). The middle of winter has some absolutely great shows. The glow of the Talkeetna mountains on a clear night with the aurora dancing overhead is quite the sight.

Default yes!!!

FEB is an awesome time for all the above. I came up here in april of 94 and landed a pilot job eventually (10hrs off the plane) When ya get closer with dates, PM me, I got a few contacts for ya. And if all else fails, I got another Idea for ya. I am currently flying the big stuff out of ANC, and live near eagle river. Something else to plan for, Plan on coming up here for at least 2 weeks, and be able to live without a pay check for a month with a rental car. So save some $$$. The ones with perseverence WILL land a job. Put Fairbanks on your travel itinerary, there are some good operators up there. Without ASES Juneau is a waste of time.
    Good luck have fun, but above all BE SAFE!!

Thank you for the replies, it looks like I will arrive on Monday Feb 22 and stay till ???. I have about 3k set aside for this trip, that should last me quite a while. I would love to get my ASES but with only the few hours of float time it takes to get the rating I don't see anyone hiring me to fly floats. I do hear it is the most fun you can have outside of the bedroom.

My short term future involves wheels and renting floats on the side. I will get my ASES but not until after I have a job set up.

Fairbanks is interesting and I would take a job there in a heartbeat, but I really do want to get a job by the coast, after I get settled my girlfriend will be moving up with me and we both like to fish. Living in Colorado your best chance at fresh fish would be frozen fish sticks with tartar sauce. I can't wait to visit the fish marketplace.

Again thank you all for the replies and words of encouragement.

Rudy,
    Thanks for the renters' check ride in August... Let me know if you need any help getting your bearings when you get up to Alaska.

(Finally got out late that afternoon after plane scheduling issues and just barely missed a nice lightning and hail storm before landing at Weld County...)

-Joe, the photo guy from Alaska

email;
    (Joe@ChugachPeaks.com)

Default NAC

Northern Air Cargo's D.O. is a friend and told me they are looking for two F/O's right now. Rudebega you probably don't have enough experience for it but if someone on the board do, they should apply

Default Timing is Everything

Darn, I'd love to fly NAC, but I don't retire from the Army until April. I wonder what kind of hours would be competitive for that kind of job?

Default NAC

Well, he told me 160 has applied with total times ranging from 1000 to 21000.
    Forty has B737 time and thirty live in AK.
    Must be pretty bad out there with the amount of applicants with good experience applying.