Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New rifle cartridge....what's next?

Default New rifle cartridge....what's next?

New rifle cartidge....what's next?

Just for the sake of more interesting reading on the Shooting forum, anyone wanna take a stab at this inquiry and put forth your selection and the reason why it should become the next commercially produced round on the market. Good luck

I would love to see a .423 caliber based on the weatherby .378 case......Talk about an Elephant and Buffalo Bumper.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

I think it would be real cool to see line of cartridges based off the 338 Lapua or maybe a slightly improved vervion of the case as in .270 Lapua Imp, 7mm Lapua Imp, and 300 Lapua Imp. The 270 would be a barrel burner for for sure, but with a reasonable load and good care I think you could get 1000 plus rounds out of it. I think these would be good case for RL17. You could probaly get the 270 to push a 150 gr bullet around 3400-3500 ish???

Good thread, it's great to let the imagination run wild

Wonder what kind of performance you would get from necking a 300 win mag down to a 277. caliber. Probably been done and probably way over bore, but might make a nice super long range sheep gun with a long barrel and slow powder.

17 BMG. Extreme velocity,5 shot barrel life uber magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Wonder what kind of performance you would get from necking a 300 win mag down to a 277. caliber. Probably been done and probably way over bore, but might make a nice super long range sheep gun with a long barrel and slow powder.
    Sounds like a 270 Arnold to me. Neat cartridge, but I prefer the 7mm at that much capacity, JMO.

I'm going the other way. I want a modern rimless version of the 25-20 or 32-20 for small game, and especially for reloading. I've used both for years, but components can be tough to come by at times and will only get tougher. I've also had all sorts of wildcats based on the 223 case.

My thinking is running along the lines of a shortened 223 case, producing a cartridge that will be ideal for small bolts in lightweight rifles.

Sure you can use a 22 rimfire for small game, but why be so plain about it. I probably take 25 or 30 small game animals with the 25-20 for every one I take with a 22 rimfire. But that's in a lever, and I'd sure love to have something comparable in a handy small bolt action.

Default Right

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm going the other way. I want a modern rimless version of the 25-20 or 32-20 for small game, and especially for reloading. I've used both for years, but components can be tough to come by at times and will only get tougher. I've also had all sorts of wildcats based on the 223 case.

My thinking is running along the lines of a shortened 223 case, producing a cartridge that will be ideal for small bolts in lightweight rifles.

Sure you can use a 22 rimfire for small game, but why be so plain about it. I probably take 25 or 30 small game animals with the 25-20 for every one I take with a 22 rimfire. But that's in a lever, and I'd sure love to have something comparable in a handy small bolt action.
    BEAR, how about a 5.7x28 for a bolt action rifle. I believe it would make a great short action rifle for varmints at ranges of 150 yds or so. It would also feed through the old Marlin 62 levermatic as well as a bolt action. Maybe open it up to 6mm.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I would love to see a 460-223 wby in a two pound rifle with 24X scope so I could haul extra Snapple on my next sheep hunt.

I don't know what unnecessary round will come next. I will bet that it will be difficult to get rounds in Kotzebue
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I think I'll side with BrownBear on this one. We've got a pile of cartridges for the really big stuff. How about some small game rounds that aren't rimfire and don't deafen at 40 paces or kick like a fiend? Something along the lines of the old British Rook rounds.

.223 shortened and necked up to 6mm or maybe 6.5 with a short, soft bullet? A short .300 Whisper perhaps?

Maybe a .22 Hornet souped up to .25 and use pistol bullets? That could be fun indeed.

Personally I would like to see a 4" 12 G. or .375wssm

I want a "Rimfire" Magnum .257 (A .22 Winchester magnum rimfire, same length, but larger bore).

Anyone ever hear of the 19 Badger which is based on the 30 Carbine case, necked to 19 caliber with a 30 degree shoulder?
    From my reading in Cartridges of the World this cartridge works best with a 24" barrel with a 1:13 twist, also holds 25% more powder than the 19 Calhoon which is based on the 22 hornet parent case. I think it would make a great seal hunting cartridge.
    Another one to consider would be a cartridge based on the 7x33mm Sako cartridge case.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think I'll side with BrownBear on this one. We've got a pile of cartridges for the really big stuff. How about some small game rounds that aren't rimfire and don't deafen at 40 paces or kick like a fiend? Something along the lines of the old British Rook rounds.

.223 shortened and necked up to 6mm or maybe 6.5 with a short, soft bullet? A short .300 Whisper perhaps?

Maybe a .22 Hornet souped up to .25 and use pistol bullets? That could be fun indeed.
    Yup. An edible game round. In the 25-20 the Speer 75 gr FN or Remington 86 gr FN are wonders to behold on small game at 1200-1400 fps. You just think a 22 rimfire is fun and effective. Try one of those rounds!

You can pump them up to 1800-2000 for furbearers if you want, but I'm after small meat for the pot. I'd probably stick to 25 caliber specifically for those bullets or 32 for the accessible 32-20 bullets suitable for small game, rather than go with 6mm or 6.5 and be stuck with heavier jacketed spitzers.

The problem is that no 25-20 rifle is currently made, and the last made was the brief run of Marlin 1894s (got one) about 10 years ago. Or find a Winnie M-92 in shootable shape that you can afford (got one too, but too valuable to beat to pieces in the brush). Last I was aware Marlin was till making the 1894 in 32-20 (got one, too).

But all those are levers. Yeah, you can put a scope on them. But to me putting a scope on a lever action rifle is like putting a jet engine on a crop duster. I'd love to see a rimless round meeting those ballistics in a small, light bolt gun. I'm betting there would be enough market to pay for development by one of the big companies.

I'm thinking a 256Win in rimless and also necked up to 30/32. It would have a good shoulder for headspacing and enough powder space to push a 75gr spt to a couple hundred yds in 25cal. The 25/20 and 32/20 have very little shoulder and could be a problem in a rimless case. But I like your thinking as I have both the 25/20 and 32/20 in Win 92s and they are a blast. I mini bolt gun in 256 rimless would be neat. But what we really need is a 300Win necked to .296. It would replace the 7mm rem mag and the 300Win mag and stop all those silly debates over which is better.

.264 rem ultra mag

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I want a "Rimfire" Magnum .257 (A .22 Winchester magnum rimfire, same length, but larger bore).
    Hey, Me Too.

I was gonna suggest something just like that, myself.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Yup. An edible game round. In the 25-20 the Speer 75 gr FN or Remington 86 gr FN are wonders to behold on small game at 1200-1400 fps. You just think a 22 rimfire is fun and effective. Try one of those rounds!

You can pump them up to 1800-2000 for furbearers if you want, but I'm after small meat for the pot. I'd probably stick to 25 caliber specifically for those bullets or 32 for the accessible 32-20 bullets suitable for small game, rather than go with 6mm or 6.5 and be stuck with heavier jacketed spitzers.

The problem is that no 25-20 rifle is currently made, and the last made was the brief run of Marlin 1894s (got one) about 10 years ago. Or find a Winnie M-92 in shootable shape that you can afford (got one too, but too valuable to beat to pieces in the brush). Last I was aware Marlin was till making the 1894 in 32-20 (got one, too).

But all those are levers. Yeah, you can put a scope on them. But to me putting a scope on a lever action rifle is like putting a jet engine on a crop duster. I'd love to see a rimless round meeting those ballistics in a small, light bolt gun. I'm betting there would be enough market to pay for development by one of the big companies.
    The only light bolt gun I know of is that little CZ. 527, think its called???.

How, about a Single Shot 25-20? Rimmed cartridges work fine there.

I'd like to have a Single Shot 30-30, but I've always been intrigued with the 25-20. Its good to hear they are really practical.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

Try the 6.8 Rem. SPC. Even though it was developed as an AR round I find no use for those "black" rifles. I have a mini-masuer chambered in 6.8 SPC and it is the most fun to shoot bolt gun I have ever handled. Negligible recoil, and SUPER effective on game. It is finally starting to get some interest as a hunting round and not just a military use cartridge. I guess I was early on the bandwagon as I have had mine for four years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast