Thread: Ski Train Cancelled!!!

Default Ski Train Cancelled!!!

Bummer for you guys up north that used it . . .

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/946611.html

Thumbs down

Utterly stupid.

So our "Government Run" railroad management decides that the best thing they can do for the people who own them includes such things as firing 17% of their workforce and cancelling the most popular & profitable services that they provide?!?

Hey, I know what... let's let these kinds of folks run the health care system!!!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Is it truely the most profitable thing they do? I'm pretty sure freight service is still the big money maker.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Layoffs and service cuts go hand in hand. Cutting the ski train will encourage me to use their services less, further reducing their revenue.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

However, if the ski train wasn't really making any money, cancelling it WILL save them money. I know for a fact that many services that the railroad currently offers lose money. These layoffs hurt many folks that I know. I have a bunch of friends that work for the R.R. Even they agree that it's the responsibility of the R.R. to make a profit, unlike most governement agencies.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Marketing 101...

If you have a unique and limited service/event that sells out almost immediately when the tickets go on sale, and it's not making much profit, then you need to increase the ticket price to the point where it is profitable. Obviously the people really want the service as it sells out so quickly. Thus, they will pay much more for the service. The problem isn't that they are losing money by selling the service, it's simply that their price point is way too low!

Sounds to me like the positions that the RR needed to "revise" where at the top! Yet those on top of a sinking ship often think they can save the boat by getting rid of the guys who run the bilge pumps way down below decks. This strategy obviously never works. And it won't work with the RR any better than it worked for the likes of GM, Chrysler, or even Amtrak.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!