Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaboom!!

Default Kaboom!!

Sure you've all seen this email going around, but thought I'd share anyways.

From the email, this 629 must've had a double-charged case...

They just don't make Smith & Wessons like they used to.

That there will make your whities not so white

I've seen pics of ruger super blackhawks where 454 level 45 colt 5 shooter loads were run in the factory 6 shooter cylinder with similar results.

Thats not a double charge, havent you heard about S&W's new open top model? You know retro cowboy action stuff, its in all the new gun rags this month.

Default I know where...

there's a 657 .41 Mag to match it! Sitting in a display case at Davey Crockett Gun Shop, Pocatello, Idaho. I do believe it is described as being the result of a double charge. Much the same result!

Oh yeah! Now I understand how much stronger S&W forged steel is than that crappy cast metal used in those Rugers!

Jeff

All things being equal, forged is stronger than cast. Simple metallurgical fact.

Let's not get into metallurgy again.

The amazing thing about this is that thr recoil form the initial round pulled the bullet from the case on the left, then when the cylinder blew off and fractured the cylinder wall it ignited the powder in that left side cylinder, it just burned the powder (adding to the show) and did not launch the bullet. Pretty cool, huh?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Let's not get into metallurgy again.

The amazing thing about this is that thr recoil form the initial round pulled the bullet from the case on the left, then when the cylinder blew off and fractured the cylinder wall it ignited the powder in that left side cylinder, it just burned the powder (adding to the show) and did not launch the bullet. Pretty cool, huh?
    Yeah, I did notice that as well...pulled it ALL the way out . Always pays to double-check....

What is even more fascinating is why this doesn't happen more often. Considering some of the loads I've seen on virtually every website on the internet, it must only be the Grace of God that keeps rifles and sidearms from grenading.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Just a guess

I could be wrong, but I doubt that is going to be covered under warranty.

I've collected lots of blown up stuff over the years, here's some pictures of a few of the more spectacular examples.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, gunbugs! You sure you didn't start that e-mail chain? Looks like almost the same exact thing...

Default Just to clarify

Paul H, did you mean Super Redhawk? Didn't know the SBH came in 45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Paul H, did you mean Super Redhawk? Didn't know the SBH came in 45 Colt.
    I think SBH comes in 44/45, they may call the 45 a "new model" but I think it's a super blackhawk. Same gun no matter the the name stamped on it though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Nah

A real SBH is always a .44 mag. Something has to remain sacred.

I've seen several S&W's like this - actually saw the hole in a divider the cylinder of one left when it separated from the gun (down in Sacramento). That said, I can't remember seeing a pic of a Ruger like this...

So, is the Ruger stronger or are Ruger owners better handloaders?

LOL. Just kidding, no flaming needed.

I did buy a Redhawk though - I'm sure subconsciously it had something to do with all the emails/posts about kaboomed Smiths.

Default I saw a blown Super Redhawk .454

when I was still working in the biz in Anchorage. The guy was having us send it back to Ruger and they were going to send him a new one. Why? Maybe to study the dam thing, who knows. Apparently an overload, bu8t the guy wasn't telling us what the heck he did. The top strap was bulged and 2 cylinders were blown. The .454 SRH is pressure tested to approx. 125,000 p.s.i. so we figured it would have to be at least 140-150,000 p.s.i. What in the world was in those loads?

I see nothing wrong with the gun! It is lighter for the carry guys and still has three chambers.
    My friend forgot powder in a shell for his .41 Ruger and stuck a boolit in the barrel. Shot another behind it and bulged the top strap, bent the pin down but the cylinder did not crack. Ruger sold him a new gun at cost.
    Strange how strong cast steel is!

Had a guy walk in one day about 5 years ago with a not so brand new stainless ruger GP-100. He said he was firing factory ammo when it disintegrated the top of the cylinder and bulged/cracked the top strap. Pieces of the cylinder were bouncing all over the Fish&Game indoor range in Fairbanks. Upon asking if I could see the box of ammo, he went to his car and brought in the most screwed up batch of misc. reject handloads I had seen in quite a while. All kinds of different bullets, cases, and apparently powder charges. He said he had bought them off a gunshow table locally. Not exactly what you would call "factory" ammo. Any thing that will blow up a Smith will take apart a Ruger too. Seen plenty of both, have cracked and bulged cylinders from both in my collection. One day many years ago as I was walking out to retreive my target at the local range I looked down and picked up a piece of blued steel off the ground. It was the top strap off a Ruger Centerfire single action. Wish I could remember what I did with it. You don't see that part offered for sale very often without the rest of the gun attached. Be Safe! (GUNBUGS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast