Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: shipping handgun

  1. #1

    Default shipping handgun

    I will be sending out 2 handguns this week that I have sold online. I have sent out long guns in the recent past but not a pistol. I will be sending it myself. Anyone have any thoughts on whether UPS or Fedex would be better to ship to an FFL? Someone said Fedex wanted some disassembly of the gun but not UPS. I have signed FFLs to show. Thanks

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    211

    Default

    When I had my last pistol shipped, he sent it USPS; fully assembled. They had him sign a document and it saved me major $$$ since I was shipping it up here.

    From my research on shipping them, neither UPS or FedEx required disassembly, but did require certain paperwork to be filled out.

    HTH

    Bill

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    68

    Default

    It is not legal to ship fully assembled handguns through USPS. Fedex wanted me told me they will only ship handguns when there is an FFL on one end, so you should be okay.

    Read this, it's not the same issue, but it has a lot of good info:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ipping+handgun
    Surviving one day at a time with a PhD in Physics.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxon View Post
    It is not legal to ship fully assembled handguns through USPS. Fedex wanted me told me they will only ship handguns when there is an FFL on one end, so you should be okay.

    Read this, it's not the same issue, but it has a lot of good info:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ipping+handgun
    It is if you are a FFL holder

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I will be sending out 2 handguns this week that I have sold online. I have sent out long guns in the recent past but not a pistol. I will be sending it myself. Anyone have any thoughts on whether UPS or Fedex would be better to ship to an FFL? Someone said Fedex wanted some disassembly of the gun but not UPS. I have signed FFLs to show. Thanks
    been a while, but I use UPS at the Anchorage airport for a handgun and an airgun. No probs.

    Shipped a handgun and a rifle from Hawaii in 2006 FEDEX when I took a discharge to come home, I declared them, they said "I dont' care" !! Sent the 45 from SD, CA Fedex to AK, no problem there. Fully assembled.

    I would check the web sites for the company rules, print them off, and bring them with you.

    I have several horror stories about ammo....

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    It is if you are a FFL holder
    Yes it is
    Surviving one day at a time with a PhD in Physics.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    To ship a handgun. I am going to ship handguns to another state this week. UPS, the brown truck people, and Fed EX will only, by their policy, now only ship handguns if there is an FFL holder on at least one end of the trip. You can ship your handguns to an FFL gunsmith to fix your guns and he can ship them back to you at your home address. They do not, nor is there any rule or regulation about them being assembled or disassembled and even if you just ship the frame (serial numbered part) it will still require a dealer in the trip.

    UPS just recently changed their policy on this.
    Back in August they agreed to ship my handguns to my address in another state, they won't do that now. So FedEx and UPS now have the same policy on handguns. As for ATF rules, I can legally ship, by common carrier, (UPS, FedEx, etc) my guns to me at another address.

    I shipped my rifles via the USPS (post office) and all went well and the USPS people were very helpful about packaging, etc. Here again within ATF and USPS rules. Why is this so hard?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  8. #8

    Default Correct

    Murphy, what you posted is correct. For those who for some reason need to hear it from the horses mouth, here is the info directly from the Fedex website:
    1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    2. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
    3. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
    4. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
    5. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    6. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    7. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxon View Post
    It is not legal to ship fully assembled handguns through USPS. Fedex wanted me told me they will only ship handguns when there is an FFL on one end, so you should be okay.

    Read this, it's not the same issue, but it has a lot of good info:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ipping+handgun
    It is still legal to do so as I was able to do this last year from FFL to FFL through the USPS. I also did it in 2005 & went with the FFL to the post office, as he stated there was something I needed to sign as well. Both times went without a problem and with the handgun fully assembled.

    Here is what I found in the USPS FAQ's:

    What is required to mail a shotgun or other firearm to a family member?
    Handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms or an authorized agent of federal government.
    Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder 26 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws.
    For further advice on mailing a specific item, you should contact:

    • The nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF)
    • The Mailing Requirements area of your local Post Office facility.

    It is further regulated by the USPS Firearm Shipment Regulations (Section 11.1 to 11.4) and ATF.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxon View Post
    It is not legal to ship fully assembled handguns through USPS.
    An important point for all of us non FFL holders is that it is also unlawful, and against postal and ATF regulations, to ship a disassembled handgun or the serial numbered part (receiver) of a handgun in the US Mail.

    US Mail & Handguns=Dealer to Dealer only.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  11. #11

    Default air pistol

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    An important point for all of us non FFL holders is that it is also unlawful, and against postal and ATF regulations, to ship a disassembled handgun or the serial numbered part (receiver) of a handgun in the US Mail.

    US Mail & Handguns=Dealer to Dealer only.

    ..and USPS prohibits Air Pistols as well....

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Murphy, what you posted is correct. For those who for some reason need to hear it from the horses mouth, here is the info directly from the Fedex website:
    1. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
    1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
    2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
    2. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
    3. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.
    4. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.
    5. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
    6. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
    7. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
    It really doesn't matter what UPS or FEDEX or the Post Office sez, the Horses Mouth is the ATF, they'll be the ones prosecuting you, so look up the regs, and follow them.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    An important point for all of us non FFL holders is that it is also unlawful, and against postal and ATF regulations, to ship a disassembled handgun or the serial numbered part (receiver) of a handgun in the US Mail.

    US Mail & Handguns=Dealer to Dealer only.
    Exactly Murphy, I spaced on that. The more clarification, the better.
    Surviving one day at a time with a PhD in Physics.

  14. #14
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    An important point for all of us non FFL holders is that it is also unlawful, and against postal and ATF regulations, to ship a disassembled handgun or the serial numbered part (receiver) of a handgun in the US Mail.

    US Mail & Handguns=Dealer to Dealer only.
    There is one exception that allows handguns to go USPS with only one FFL involved, thatís a return to the manufacturer for warrantee work.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  15. #15

    Default As far as I know

    you can only send long guns through USPS for any reason, including going to a smith or factory for work. A private party cannot send handguns through the USPS.

  16. #16
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    you can only send long guns through USPS for any reason, including going to a smith or factory for work. A private party cannot send handguns through the USPS.
    True, handgun can't go USPS to a gunsmith or to the factory for custom work. However they can go in the USPS mail back to the factory for warrantee work under the manufacturers FFL both ways. It must be to a Manufacturing FFL from the owner and back for warrantee work only.

    I have done it many times under the advice of S&W, Ruger, Taurus, EAA, Glock and other manufacturing FFL holders. Also been on the other side a couple times when working for a gun manufacturing business shipping and receiving what few handguns we made that had some kind of troubles.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,810

    Default What about on Thursdays?

    It's HARD Murphy, because the rules keep changing.

    Not just the laws, but UPS and Fed EX policies.

    Then, it seems when someone asks on a Forum, everybody has a different interpretation, or experience.

    Well, it's Hard for me, anyway, and a PITA too.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •